Notices

New to recovery

Old 09-16-2017, 04:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to recovery

I feel the worst i have ever felt. Drinking has become a road block in my life. With the deinking comes depression and anxiety that I feel i can not over come. I tell my husband that im done drinking and things will change but they never do and now I need to fight the addiction bwfore I lose important people and things in my life. I am worried that i wont be able to make it stick and not have that beer.
Old 09-16-2017, 05:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Wick and welcome to SR
this is a great community for support.. you can do this and you don't have to do this alone.
Is there anyone you can talk to about this face to face in your community? An addictions counselor, therapist, group support that you'd feel able to muster some courage to get yourself to?
One thing to keep in mind is you dont need to walk into a place stone cold sober to ask for help (just don't drive yourself) I know that kept me from getting help or going to meetings for a long time.

Have you any ideas in mind of things you're willing to try and you think would help?
Old 09-16-2017, 05:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wick View Post

I need to fight the addiction bwfore I lose important people and things in my life.
Many drunks will throw it all away.
You need not be one.
There is Recovery -- seek it with All of your heart.
M-Bob
Old 09-16-2017, 05:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome, Wick - it's so good to have you with us. Being here really helped me to not feel alone anymore. I was able to stop a 30 year drinking habit due to the encouragement I found here. I hope you'll feel the same.

I never intended to let alcohol take over my life. It all started with me being shy & self-conscious. Having a couple drinks helped me feel more comfortable. Little did I know that in the end, I'd be drinking every day, with a ruined life. This doesn't have to happen to you. Please stay with us. You can get free.
Old 09-16-2017, 05:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome wick - support really helped me.

I could never last mroe than three dauys sober - but this communityu helped - it was great to find people who understood and people who'd actually made this non drinking thing work

SR helped me turn my life around - I know we can help you too

D
Old 09-16-2017, 05:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

welcome- SR is a good place to start. I need human connection and support on the ground. Counseling and meetings.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delizadee View Post
Hi Wick and welcome to SR
this is a great community for support.. you can do this and you don't have to do this alone.
Is there anyone you can talk to about this face to face in your community? An addictions counselor, therapist, group support that you'd feel able to muster some courage to get yourself to?
One thing to keep in mind is you dont need to walk into a place stone cold sober to ask for help (just don't drive yourself) I know that kept me from getting help or going to meetings for a long time.

Have you any ideas in mind of things you're willing to try and you think would help?
I really am not sure, this was the first step i guess. I always feel that face to face with someone I wont tell the whole truth and thats why Iooked online for place I could connect without the fear. I know I should do more.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome.

Why not Google the AA meetings in your immediate or surrounding areas? You wouldn't have to tell anyone anything if you don't want to, but listening to others talk about their own experences can certainly impart that bit of hope that can make such a difference to us.

Chances are there will be meetings you could get to today. You don't need to register or enrol - you just turn up, grab a coffee, take a seat and open your ears and mind.

BB