Notices

I'm not sure I can do this

Old 09-15-2017, 10:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm not sure I can do this

I didn't drink today. I felt sick from night before. When I feel better I start again. I want to be done.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

All those suggestions you got on things to do would be good things to try right now Press? better than more drinking anyway?

D
Old 09-15-2017, 10:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Was the same here. Drink until I felt better and thinking I had it licked. I could handle it this time. Nope. Then, realizing after I felt better again I would drink for days into oblivion.
Then at the end realizing I was hopeless and helpless just waiting to feel a little better and drinking for days on end.
Game was over. I couldn't even fool myself into thinking I could stop drinking so I gave in and just drank.

This went on for ten years at the end. Got to the point where I had to drink to feel good enough to start another bender.
What a life.
I finally gave in one horrendously hungover Sunday morning and called AA. I was in bad shape. Really bad.
I managed to make it to the diner, through the paralyzing fear and anxiety, where I met a man who explained to me he drank the same way. Worse.

My life was changed. It didn't happen overnight. There were plenty of slips. Bad ones. But I finally went to a meeting. Here were twenty people who understood me and drank much the same as me and were solving their problem with drink. I was moved and drinking was never the same.

It's been six years nine months since this drunk has had a drink.
Help is out there in different ways. I came here wounded, too.
You're reaching out for help and I'm just telling you my story thinking maybe you can relate and there is hope. I hope you find it. It's waiting for you.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Press, do you have a plan to divert yourself and handle the cravings? Wanting something is good, but planning how to achieve it is better. After all, no-one's forcing this on you; it's your choice.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
Press, do you have a plan to divert yourself and handle the cravings? Wanting something is good, but planning how to achieve it is better. After all, no-one's forcing this on you; it's your choice.
I have my kid this weekend. I'm not going to drink.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You'll need something else to drink if you're like me. How about green tea? I've seen some very very happy people whose hobby is relaxing with a green tea they've never tried before. Try a new one every day, and keep a journal of what it was, and how it tasted. Bonus - it's great for your stomach.

Or, think of something you want to buy, and how much it costs. Work out how many days of not drinking equals that price. Do the time, earn the reward.

Good luck!
Old 09-16-2017, 08:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
quat

Originally Posted by Pressmetilihurt View Post
I have my kid this weekend. I'm not going to drink.
Come Monday, if/when part of you( the AV) 'tells' you that you want to drink, answer it with "I'm not going to drink".
You know you can not drink, (not can't drink but can not drink), add the fact that you can not drink even if you want to, the AV has you convinced that just because IT wants to drink so do You, if You don't want to ,You don't have to, IT just makes it feel that way.
Rootin for ya
Old 09-16-2017, 02:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You CAN do this . . . be done, and reclaim your life!!
Old 09-16-2017, 06:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

when your kids goes home, you're gonna need something Press - probably a good time to think about it now

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ery-plans.html (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)

D