Notices

Vegas Trip on Day 36 of Sobriety

Old 09-15-2017, 08:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Vegas Trip on Day 36 of Sobriety

3 day event I had to go to for work. Could call it the pit of alcohol snakes. Every which way something is beckoning you. Beers everywhere, free when you play, stores offering them everywhere, My favorite was the store offering a free shot to whomever bought two beers. Back in my drinking days, that would have been my go-to.

Anyway, managed the whole trip without any booze. Just sipped on pelligrino water.

Did I have the urge? 1 time while we were all in bar ordering for a meeting about to happen. Yes. I said inside my head "Yeah, I'll just take a stella artois." And as fast as my mind workds, it was already thinking about how I could get that next drink after. Like a visual chain reaction.

Anyway, I passed and stayed sober the whole trip. It was fun to see that whole place in a sober mindset. I am hapyy.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow, impressive. If I went to vegas it would be very difficult for me not to cave. They call it sin city for a reason.

Great job
Old 09-15-2017, 09:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's really impressive. I wouldn't have been able to do it after only 36-days.

Keep it up. Sounds to me like for the most part alcohol doesn't tempt you anymore and that is a good thing.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nicely done
Old 09-16-2017, 02:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow, gambling and drinking!
All credit to you for saying no. (don't think I would have been able)
Congrats on 36 days
Old 09-16-2017, 03:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good going.

One note of caution I remember from an AA meeting sometime- it can happen that we feel good after such a success and perversely, the urge to drink or worse, some kind of unplanned for event or opportunity happens, and we aren't on guard like we were during that earlier experience.

"Testing ourselves" - especially early on- can be dicey for a bunch of reasons. Taking it easy and being a little cautious afterwards can be a good idea, from my experience after emotionally charged (for me) things.

Just a note of caution as you KEEP GOING strong!
Old 09-16-2017, 07:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all for support!
Old 09-16-2017, 07:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Blessed,

Agree that Vegas is a whole new world sober.

The food and shows. I would always pre drink before going downtown. I would be wasted by the time I got to the restaurant.

I almost always fell asleep at the shows.

Now I enjoy the restaurants...so many amazing places to eat...and many won't break my budget.

My wife gets 2 4 1 all the time as well when we go.

I look around while out there and really don't seem to see too many folks that I believe we're as drunk as I routinely was.

Every so often I see a few...stumbling around.

Don't miss that scene at all.

Thanks.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Good going.

One note of caution I remember from an AA meeting sometime- it can happen that we feel good after such a success and perversely, the urge to drink or worse, some kind of unplanned for event or opportunity happens, and we aren't on guard like we were during that earlier experience.

"Testing ourselves" - especially early on- can be dicey for a bunch of reasons. Taking it easy and being a little cautious afterwards can be a good idea, from my experience after emotionally charged (for me) things.

Just a note of caution as you KEEP GOING strong!
This is true..I'm still on a business trip and have zero urge to drink here, BUT...The urge to have a beer or 'two' when I get back to unwind has been in my head today..Nope. Hang in there and stay sober. It's better!
Old 09-16-2017, 12:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am literally in awe that you are in Vegas and staying strong, massive hats off.
Vegas has to be my favourite place on earth to visit (or at least it was) but there is no way that I trust myself there at the moment.

Myself and the Mrs were planning to go to Vegas for our joint 40th in 16 months time but that plan has now changed and we will go somewhere else.
I associate to strongly ( for now at least) with that destination.

Enjoy enjoy enjoy sober!