Notices

Introduce Myself

Old 09-15-2017, 07:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Introduce Myself

Hello everyone,

I wanted to introduce myself since I will be posting here. I'm 32-years-old, single male. I had 7-years-sober. I went back to drinking about 3-years ago and got back into the party life. My life has got progressively worse each year so I have decided to quit again. This time for good.

I am currently on 9-days. I do get AV thoughts here and there but nothing major.

Current situation, not this, but next weekend I am supposed to go to a club with a friend. I usually would get trashed when I go out, okay not usually, that's a lie, always would get drunk.

So that is going to be the biggest adjustment for me. I'm single and hang out with people younger than me so I am still somewhat in the 'party' stage but I do have years of experience being sober so I think I will be OK going to a club. I'm still nervous about it so I might cancel the plans just to be safe but summer is coming to an end. I'd really like to go out and have fun without alcohol but I am somewhat worried the temptation will be too much.

I wanted you all to know that the first week is always hard and reading some of the posts here helped me get through it. I want to thank you all for that! And thank you all for allowing me to post here.

Hopefully I can repay that back by making good posts and helping people beat this liquid demon we all have to deal with.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by DangerZone View Post
...I think I will be OK going to a club. I'm still nervous about it so I might cancel the plans just to be safe but summer is coming to an end. I'd really like to go out and have fun without alcohol but I am somewhat worried the temptation will be too much....
Cancel. You have many summers ahead of you to enjoy, many alcohol-free clubbing days to enjoy. But not at 9 days sober.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Cancel. You have many summers ahead of you to enjoy, many alcohol-free clubbing days to enjoy. But not at 9 days sober.
Yeah that is what I was thinking.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi DangerZone

I have two days sober. I am realizing how much of my life involved alcohol. My yoga class is in a rented space in a brewery tasting room. Yoga n Brew. Kayaking and wine. A fun bike ride ends up at a bar. Even my runs I'd veere off the trail to a local bar. I always handled in public but no one knew after all this I'd go home with an 18 pack and some wine. Thanks for sharing your story and good luck.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There are many ways to reach and achieve sobriety. Personally I think its a complete life change. Not the same life you're currently living, just without drinking. Something to think about.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jen66 View Post
I have two days sober. I am realizing how much of my life involved alcohol. My yoga class is in a rented space in a brewery tasting room. Yoga n Brew. Kayaking and wine. A fun bike ride ends up at a bar. Even my runs I'd veere off the trail to a local bar. I always handled in public but no one knew after all this I'd go home with an 18 pack and some wine. Thanks for sharing your story and good luck.
We are close in days Jen. We can beat this together. One day at a time! If you ever need any advice I'll be here for you.

In my experience weekends are the hardest to stay sober in the early days so try to keep busy and keep your mind off booze.

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
There are many ways to reach and achieve sobriety. Personally I think its a complete life change. Not the same life you're currently living, just without drinking. Something to think about.
Thanks Tom. I think you are right. I remember when I had 7-years-sober I hardly ever went to clubs. If ever... When I started drinking again, I loved them again.

So I think they will lose their appeal as I continue on the sober path.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

DangerZone, I'm glad you found us and made the decision to stop drinking.

You can still go out and have fun, but you might need to make some changes. I couldn't be around alcohol for many months when I stopped drinking. Some people manage, but it was too stressful for me. Maybe you can come up with things to do on the weekends that don't involve alcohol.