Notices

Decided stop drinking.

Old 09-14-2017, 04:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Decided stop drinking.

I decided to stop drinking. I've always used it to self medicate. So scared to start feeling feelings.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jen - yeah it can feel scary but there's a lot of support here. Post as often as you need to, and read around - see how other people are handling it

You'll see its not that scary once you get a few days in

Glad to have you with us

D
Old 09-14-2017, 04:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You've made a great decision. Be prepared for what addiction will throw at you like cravings and guilt and shame. If you dont experience those things, you are ahead of the curve.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Jen👋. I've only recently stopped drinking as well, but I'm finding this site really helpful. Good luck😀
Old 09-14-2017, 05:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jen,

It's very normal to be scared at this point. But, you will be able to deal with the feelings and to get through that. I hope you keep reading and posting.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Editor

Welcome Jen!
That is outstanding you have decided to quit...that is the first step on a journey that will make you look at the world in a different light.
D
Old 09-14-2017, 07:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Jen. Check out the September thread, all folks quitting this month. You'll fit right in!
Old 09-14-2017, 07:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support and encouragement here.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Being scared won't kill you or make you sick, but you know what will...

Good for you and good luck!
Old 09-15-2017, 03:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Relative newcomer myself and I agree it is scary dealing with all those emotions you buried underneath the drink. What i'm finding now though is the good emotions are also coming through too. The joy of waking up mornings looking forward to the day instead of trying to get through it as quick as I could because I felt so rough, the joy of actually being present in my life and living it (because I really wasn't before)
Stick with it, it's true what other people say, it really is much better on the other side.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you

Thank you for all your responses. Today I need to Not drink and work on my nutrition. I have no appetite. I'm making small goals for myself to complete hoping it will give me a sense of satisfaction. My biggest battle will be rebuilding my self esteem. Mybdaughter is 26 and she told me she wants her mom back. I had ask her what she was like. Because I don't remember her anymore.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Jen66, welcome to the forum you have made a very good decision . As the guys above said there is lots of support here.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have two days sober. I am realizing how much of my life involved alcohol. My yoga class is in a rented space in a brewery tasting room. Yoga n Brew. Kayaking and wine. A fun bike ride ends up at a bar. Even my runs I'd veere off the trail to a local bar. I always handled in public but no one knew after all this I'd go home with an 18 pack and some wine.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I was the same - one or none at events or work functions. One-teen, or more, picked up on the way home.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jen66 View Post
I have two days sober. I am realizing how much of my life involved alcohol. My yoga class is in a rented space in a brewery tasting room. Yoga n Brew. Kayaking and wine. A fun bike ride ends up at a bar. Even my runs I'd veere off the trail to a local bar. I always handled in public but no one knew after all this I'd go home with an 18 pack and some wine.
Welcome Jen66 .

It was a bit of a shocker for me too ,....just how deeply I had woven alcohol into practically every healthy activity . There's always the risk of injury ,....and then I was just left with the alcohol .

Congrats on making such a life changing experience .
Old 09-16-2017, 12:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jen66 View Post
Thank you for all your responses. Today I need to Not drink and work on my nutrition. I have no appetite. I'm making small goals for myself to complete hoping it will give me a sense of satisfaction. My biggest battle will be rebuilding my self esteem. Mybdaughter is 26 and she told me she wants her mom back. I had ask her what she was like. Because I don't remember her anymore.
Well done on the action Jen. Totally get your point regarding your daughter wanting her mum/mom back.

The good news is is that through sobriety we can all be the very best versions of ourselves, better and more connected with life than we ever may have been before alcohol took its grip.
Wishing you well