Notices

Disturbing drinking dreams

Old 09-14-2017, 07:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Disturbing drinking dreams

Hi all,

I just celebrated 100 days sober and I have really upped my sobriety program lately. However, I have been having the most disturbing drinking dreams.

In early sobriety, I had dreams that I was drunk, but the awareness didn't occur at the time of the decision to drink, it was after I was drunk and I was worried about the consequences and angry with myself for getting drunk.

These are different. In my dreams I have worked out a way that it's ok for me to drink in different situations. Like a single glass of wine at a specific weekly event, or a glass of beer after my saturday long runs. Strangely, even in the dream I am so sad about the decision. The best way to describe is that I feel resigned to it.

The weird thing is that when I am awake, I don't want to drink at all. I don't struggle with it, at least not that I'm aware of. I am so happy to be sober and rediscovering myself. So why am I having those dreams? Is it maybe because I am liking my new life so much that I am afraid I will lose it? As if I don't have control over that?
Old 09-14-2017, 07:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

"So why am I having those dreams? Is it maybe because I am liking my new life so much that I am afraid I will lose it? As if I don't have control over that?"

personally id say dont read too much into them. we dont have control over what we dream.
if youre like the majority of us, those dreams will dissipate with time.

i think what drove me bonkers was how vivid those dreams were and how much i remebered from them.
but they were just dreams- they wouldnt become reality unless i allowed them to become reality.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's a pretty common phenomenon. I'd probably just take it as a positive thing that you regretted the drink when you took it in your dream.

I've had lots of drinking dreams, but last night I had my first ever AA dream. It was in some weird outdoor amphitheater. I was trying to save a seat for my sponsor who was late, but the seats kept filling up and I was having trouble recognizing him. I don't think the meeting ever quite got started. My daughter was hanging out with friends on the front porch of a house across the street. Just the strange musings of a strange brain.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Mine started around 100 days as well. They come and go, I even dreamed that everyone was drinking Bombay Sapphire and Tonic at an AA meeting.

I'm now 8 days off nicotine and they're back again.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think nearly everyone has those dreams at some time or another.

I'm not a big believer in dreams necessarily meaning anything - I used to dream a lot about highschool but I don't want to go back there

D
Old 09-14-2017, 05:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Learning to Live

I just had a dream like that last night. In the dream I was at a wedding and I told myself I could have a couple drinks. I knew in the back of my mind that it was a bad choice, but I had myself convinced I was going to have those drinks. I woke up before I had any though.
It scares me that in my dream-state I knew I was going to drink even though I knew I shouldn't. I think it bothers me particularly because my cousins wedding is coming up in November. Obviously somewhere in myself I see this as a trigger.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've only had one drinking dream so far and I woke up furious with myself. My dreams my first month were all about death. One of my triggers was my folks passing close together. Now days I don't generally remember any dreams.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I went through a phase of analysing dreams but found that I was reading too much into it and was affecting me negatively . Ive had only one drinking dream in 6 weeks and sure enough they can throw you off when you remember but I felt a sense of relief knowing it was only a dream .