Notices

CELEBRATING FURRY FRIENDS WEEKENDERS THREAD 15-17 Sept

Old 09-14-2017, 03:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
saoutchik

CELEBRATING FURRY FRIENDS WEEKENDERS THREAD 15-17 Sept

Long term Weekenders might recall that I did a similar thread 6 months ago, it coincided with my mum passing and I never really participated in the thread after the opening post but I was really interested and i'm sure others will be so please forgive the repetition.

I wish I was in a position to have a pet myself but unfortunately I live on my own in a 3rd floor flat (apartment) I work full time so it would be really unfair. Partly to compensate I did sponsor a couple of Humboltd Penguins at London Zoo, Hank and Grizelda. After a long innings Hank is sadly no longer with us but Grizelda is still going strong and now has a toyboy.

The photo below is not mine but was taken on weighing and measuring day - they are easily lured by the prospect of food.

Pets are often our best friends, they give us so much and in return rely on us to care for them so it is unfair if we are frequently intoxicated around them. Maintaining our resolve is good for them too. I would imagine that pets are a good motivating factor in that regard

Even a city boy like myself enjoys the site of dogs and urban wildlife such as ducks and squirrels. It's great to see the dogs jumping in for a swim and enjoying life.

I would be really interested in reading about fellow SR members pets and if could post a photo that would be even better. I'm sure those of us who, for one reason or another do not have pets would also be interested and may themselves encounter some local wildlife they could mention.

Have a grrreat weekend!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20170914_103707.jpg (42.0 KB, 154 views)
Old 09-14-2017, 03:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Shotgun!
Old 09-14-2017, 03:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We have a pet bunny who lives with my parents now. I have posted about her before. My father is her main carer now and she follows him around like a small child. My father calls her "our therapist with whiskers" and given that my mom has problems of her own, bunny gives her something else to focus on and my dad told me bunny has been a great addition to the family. She was given to me by my brother and I picked her out at the pet store as she was being squished by all the other bunnies.

I have done many dumb things down through the years but bringing home a pet was the best thing I ever did for my family.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

You may remember cloud, the therapy hamster. We got him in late April at my daughters request who is currently batteling with mental health issues. 'Hammy' as we call him has been a great addition. He has given my daughter the distraction she needed and has helped my wife get over her fear of rodent like creatures.

My mom was an animal person. Growing up we've had many pets; dogs, cats, bunnies , fish, birds, rodents , and of course a horse.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on shotgun Tetra.

I had forgotten about therapy hampster Dragon. How is your daughter?
Old 09-14-2017, 05:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks, Saou!

Congratulations, Tetra!

Count me in, please!

Homer says Hi!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
HOMER_043017Asmall.JPG (95.6 KB, 135 views)
Old 09-14-2017, 06:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi Lunar.

Hi Homer.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in!

I have two cats and a dog. They are annoying at times, but I love them and they are always there for me. I can't have nice things in my house because the cats can be destructive. Nothing I do can deter them from scratching the furniture. It's a fair trade for now. I'll try to post pictures later but I'm so busy at work right now it might be a while.

Have a great day, everyone!
Old 09-14-2017, 07:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm petless at the moment--but in my time I've had four dogs, a cat, a turtle, tropical fish, and a litter of mice.

My daughter bought a white mouse from a pet shop (it was designed to be snake food). She did some (humane) tests with it for her school science fair. On Christmas Day we found out she was a female, because she had a litter of ten babies!

But as we were researching how to care for them, she ate them all one by one!

She didn't live much longer after that.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've always loved your striking pets, Lunar! It's good to see you back!
Old 09-14-2017, 08:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The Missus & MesaDog and I are lovin' Life up @ ~7,400' in the Colorado Rockies for a couple of Weeks in the RV Trailer. He's the perfect Watchdog, and only makes a low growling noise if someone is getting near on the Road of this kinda-empty Campground Loop. A couple of walks daily take fo evah. He's sniffing every Animal scent known to Man, or fellow Campers have to stop us so they can talk to him.

The Dog Park down in Town is beside a River, up against a huge Bluff, so he's enjoying Free Range fun during daily visits there.

- 'Seamus' ~ Pink Floyd ~

Old 09-14-2017, 08:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have two dogs and four cats. Jack and Billie are the dogs, and the cats are Freddie, Lily, Zippy, and Franny. They bring such joy into my life.

Billie

Jack

Freddie

Old 09-14-2017, 09:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good to see you MesaMan, the Hound of the Mesaville's is looking as chilled as ever.

Good to see you too least, i'm glad you and your pets are well. It was Jack that went missing for a time wasn't it? I hope he has had no further unintended adventures.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have only one, spoiled rotten kitty. I love him so much... despite his constant mischief-making
Attached Images
Old 09-14-2017, 10:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think animals both domestic and wild are gods gifts to the world. My dogs have been my best friends.

On a side note, Saturday is moving day, we will be in temporary "digs" for 13 days which I'm a bit uneasy about. I like a routine and I like having a home base. I will have neither for a couple weeks. We'll get through this.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hello weekenders. I logged in to make my football picks in the Cafe'. Need more participants so PK has more numbers to work with. He's like The Count - he loves to count de numbers...
Hope all are well. I see a pet theme... I found a cricket that got into the living room yesterday. I made him an outside pet.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders Snufkin! He is a fine looking chap, what is his name?

Good luck with the move thomas11, 13 days is not too long but it must be a disruption.

Good to see you LBrain, no crickets here but there is a spider in my shower unit. Fortunately it is not the size of Lunar's pet Homer.

Something I ate at lunchtime has not agreed with me. I might have to take a nap.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It was Jack that went missing
Yes, it was Jack, my sweet old man. On October 4th it will be one year to the day since he went missing. On Oct 24th it will be one year to the day since I found him. I still get the biggest thrill from seeing him on my bed every morning.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Evening guys. Xx
Old 09-14-2017, 07:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

evening all. My daughter is doing well, thanks for asking Sao. She is happier now, still unable to face the idea of going back to school or other such ventures yet. Her doctor tells us it's going to be a long road back. Part of me wants to push her along but I'm learning to practice patients. I must say that if I were still drinking I probably would've made things worse. So for that I'm very grateful. Sometimes things happen for a reason.