Notices

I'm in...

Old 10-25-2004, 12:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm in...

Been denying it for too many years now but woke up in the hospital again on Friday morning, not sure what happened and man, I can't do this anymore.

I'm on day 3 and although I'm not sure how far my physical addiction goes I know I'm going to have trouble once the weekend rolls around.

Life has always seemed empty when I've quit before. I'm 33.... how old are others on this board?
Old 10-25-2004, 05:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Brendan...

I am 29 (as of Aug).. An alcoholic with a binge drinking pattern..

All the best in stayin sober.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am 57 years young. Do not waste as many years as I did. I only became sober 10 months ago and missed so much of my children growing, life experiences, etc. Get enrolled in a program, AA or a formal recovery clinic. You have too much to loose.

I wish you the best of luck.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Brendan

I'm 41 and have several years of alcohol abuse firmly behind me. Never ended up in hospital but have been through very dark times.

Do this for yourself. Start with today and keep it in today.

I agree with Jerry and Toronto. Get along to a meeting. I firmly believe it's the best way forward for all of us.

You're not alone. Good luck.

Rich
Old 10-25-2004, 06:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Connie

I just turned 50, woke up drunk on my birthday, after having spent the night before partying. Shortly after, I realized how miserable my life was, drinking everyday. Been sober 3 weeks today, thanks to my HP and AA. Life is good, I can't say enough about the meetings. There's lots of support, hope and peace to be found in each room.

Good luck to you, getting sober is the kindest thing I've ever done for myself.

One day at a time....
Old 10-25-2004, 06:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dan

Hi Brendan, and welcome.
44 I am. Thirty of those drinking and drugging.
I used to think like you, that my like would be empty without my stuff...
Total opposite. I have a Big Life now. I'm free from my own sick mind.
Glad you're here.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
DAK

Hi Brendan,

34 here and on 8 days of sobriety. Check into some AA meetings.. I went for my first time on Saturday. What a wonderful, enlightening experience. I am also grateful for having found SR. It is nice to be among people that have and do share the same experiences you do. Read around in here. I have gained alot of strength and insight into my alcoholism from this sight. I wish you the best of luck in staying sober.

Dee
Old 10-25-2004, 07:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Brendan -

35 here, alcoholic for the past 10 years. Working on staying sober one day at a time, sometimes with more success than other times. I'm finally beginning to gather the support I need via AA, as I've finally realized that I cannot kick this alone.

All the best to you in staying sober - hang in there, you deserve better than to be a drunk. We all do. Keep coming back - this is a great, supportive community.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Brendan,

I am 48 , been drinking heavily since I was 25, 33 is a good time to quit, wish I had! I am just starting back on the road to being sober, still counting the days, not weeks. I guess I am the same as you having used for so long cant imagine life without....so I don't, just the next few moments will do. I had a real problem pursuading myself to go to AA but off to my second meeting tonight and agree completely with Dee. This is a great place to come as well.

Give yourself a break and don't wait another 15 years like me.

Good luck

Pete
Old 10-25-2004, 08:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

Hello Brendan--Welcome to SR! I am Laura, 34 year old alcoholic with a precious 8 months clean and sober. I also could not imagine my life without alcohol, but through a strong program of recovery from my treatment center and AA, I have discovered I never really had a life when I was drinking. Glad you are here. Keep coming back.

Hugs--
Old 10-25-2004, 08:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
doing the inside job

I'm 38, went out on a two weeks run.
Came into the progam at 24.
Stoped working my program and life became miserable.

Started breaking in to my dad's liquor cabinet and adding water to his
bottles at a very young age.

I have a little over 30days clean and sober
putting one foot in front of the other. Five minutes at a time if I have too.
truned everything over. letting go of my bagages.
I feel alive today
still teachable and willing to grow.

I'll pray for you

forgive
forget
forever
amend
Old 10-25-2004, 08:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Brendan: Welcome. I am 51. You will hear from all ages and kinds of people here. Like Dak, I am on Day 8. I am relieved to have made it through the weekend, as weekends are also the hardest time for me. Maybe a little too much time on my hands being around the house all weekend. Addictions know no age boundaries. We are all in this boat together. Hope to hear from you again.

Sherry Lassie
Old 10-25-2004, 11:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Brendan,

Hi there! I'm ChrisMan, addicted for 24 years and now 40 years old. I now have two months and 22 days of sobriety. Doing the 12 Steps and getting help from others, surrendering to my Higher Power, and being gentle with myself, living one day at a time...all elements of my recovery.

Hang in there, Brendan, and find a good group to go to!

ChrisMan
Old 10-25-2004, 11:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Paused

(((Brendan)))

Hi, LeAnne 43. I drank for 20+ years. The last 3 years were miserable. I lost a lot over those years. I'm now working on repairing the damage done over that time in my life. If I knew then what I know now...It doesn't work that way however. Live and learn and carry on. I'm coming up on 4 months sober next week. I'm very grateful to find sobriety and never want to go back to that way of living. It wasn't living really, just existing. Barely.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi and welcome!
We'll be here to help along the way, please don't waste any more years, we've all done enough of that for you and then some! You just have to want it bad! Glad you stopped by.

ohh.. I quit just before my 43rd birthday, came in with the 40 something crowd I guess!
Old 10-25-2004, 12:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the kind words everyone.

I'm grateful to have you all here to help if I need the support. It's funny - by my calculations many of you started in your early teens. Me too. Pretty much every weekend for the last 19 years... I think staying drunk on the weekends has been a way for me to stay connected with my youth. I'm watching all my friends struggle the way I am now - thank god I've decided to stop and have found people like yourselves I can connect with.