An update and a thank you

Old 09-13-2017, 02:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

An update and a thank you

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I posted here.

I initially came here looking for a way to save my relationship with an alcoholic boyfriend and went through the whole process of accepting there isn't anything anyone can do to help an alcoholic until he/she is ready.

So anyway, fast forward a few months and I have finally made the decision final to move out of my boyfriend's house and start life again on my own terms.

It certainly wasn't the outcome I was hoping for, but I just wanted to say thanks to this community for all the insights and support I got here. It definitely helped open my eyes to the reality of things and accept that the way I was living just wasn't right.

I asked in a post here once whether there were any "success" stories. And some people said things to the effect of "yes, but maybe not in the way you mean."

I can finally see the truth in that. Because even if I couldn't save my relationship, I do feel this is a success story. Maybe not for my BF, who still hasn't embraced recovery, but for me it certainly is.

As sad I am about the break up and the reason for it, I also feel a sense of freedom that I haven't felt in so long. I still don't really know what I'm doing and I had to say goodbye to my dogs that I loved dearly, and I'm still sleeping on my friend's sofa. But all in all, I know things are going to get better no matter how difficult it is now.

So anyway, just wanted to say thanks to everyone who shared their insights and encouragement with me. And to anyone who is still living in that mad situation, please know there is hope and it does get better. No matter how impossible that decision may be to make, deciding to put yourself first is the best thing you will ever do!

Sorry, this got long. Sending love and strength to all.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hopeful....thank you for taking your time to update us. I know that posts like this are so helpful for those who are still struggling in a difficult relationship.....

Oh, yes, it does get easier......
Making your welfare the top priority and your positive attitude will serve you well....
I am happy for you...and, proud, too!
Old 09-13-2017, 02:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

:Good to read your update, Hopeful.

A success story indeed.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yep, it's hard to understand that "success stories" come in many other flavors and colors than what we first think of when we come here, until suddenly--we understand.

Thank your for the update, and wishing you all the best. Hope you stop back in from time to time to let us know how it's going.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I initially came here looking for a way to save my relationship with an alcoholic
Instead, you found a healthier one with yourself.

Yes, a true success story!!!