Notices

Trying to accept life with an AS

Old 09-12-2017, 07:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to accept life with an AS

Hi! I am so glad I found this forum. It's solacing to know I am not alone. My son is 22 - his meth addiction started slowly a few years ago from him just "dabbling" to becoming a daily user. I have tried everything to help him, as I am sure many of you have experienced, it has not gone the way I had hoped. I hoped I could turn things around for him and give him a reason to stay sober. We have always been extremely close. In his attempts to stay close and to ease my fears, he would concede in attempts to stay close to me, but in the end the drug has had a stronger grasp on him then our bond did. I have had to learn painfully, that this drug will take anyone. He is kind, loving, smart, aware, but it doesn't matter - drugs take the ones you love. Now he is homeless living in the bushes down by a river in Northern California with other homeless drug addicts. He doesn't stay in touch with me much anymore. It is breaking my heart, I don't even know how it got to such a low point. I imagine it's some guilt he must be feeling and shame, but also he has made it clear he doesn't want me trying to save him - not with words but his actions. My question is, when do you know it's time to stop trying? How do you turn it off? To this day I want to go to him and help him get clean, remember who he was before this drug took control of his life. I don't know it what ways to let go, and in what ways to still hold on. Any advice would be deeply appreciated.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

As a parent, I can't turn off trying to help my kids do good things. There are times when prayer is what we can offer. I think it is important in these moments to tell him you are praying for him. Addictions are so difficult, I'm sorry for your circumstances.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your situation and I hope your son makes the decision to change his life. If you haven't read it, the book 'Codependency No More' by Melody Beattie will help you to focus on yourself and to take the focus off your son. You also might check out AlAnon in your area for face-to-face support.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I'm sorry for your situation and I hope your son makes the decision to change his life. If you haven't read it, the book 'Codependency No More' by Melody Beattie will help you to focus on yourself and to take the focus off your son. You also might check out AlAnon in your area for face-to-face support.
Thank you! I heard of that book on here last night when I was scrolling before posting. With your additional reply, it's sounds like the direction I need to go in. Al-Anon is in my area, too. Thank you for taking the time to reply
Old 09-13-2017, 07:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Prayers instead of thinking the worse is how I'm trying to transform my thoughts. It's a process. Thank you for reaching out 🙏🏼
Old 09-13-2017, 04:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcoem Rosita
I'm sorry for what bring you here but you'll find a lot of support on SR.

We also have a friends and family forum you may be interested in

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...tance-abusers/

D