OT: Looking for a new job

Old 09-12-2017, 04:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

OT: Looking for a new job

So I suppose I am looking for a new job. The marathon of drunk texts from one of my co-workers yesterday really was the final straw. Our manager and another coworker don't get along, and there has been a lot of tension there lately. My coworker with the drinking problem is not reliable and has been obviously drunk on a teleconference call and other work occasions. There are other issues with getting work accomplished that are not in our control but that of another section. I have been with the organization about 1.5 years. I don't want to tell my boss about my coworker because I suspect he, too, has a problem with alcohol. Not only is it not an ideal situation, it is not a good one.

Is it going to look bad on my work record that I have only been here 1.5 years? How am I supposed to talk to my boss about why I have decided to look for work because I can't bring up the drinking? There are other issues as I mentioned, but the coworker just makes it miserable. I know I will need to talk to him about any job applications I submit elsewhere because any place I apply will call him for a reference or to confirm my current employment.

*sigh* Any thoughts?
Old 09-12-2017, 04:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Well, I haven't interviewed for a job in about 27 years, but, I do recall that there are many people looking for jobs who are already employed, and don't want their current employers to know they are out looking.

Once you score an interview, you can explain the situation at your current job, and maybe they won't blow your cover...at least, it has worked that way for me in the past.

As far as what to say to your current employer when you give notice...you don't have to be specific. You can say that after several months of consideration, the job just doesn't fit for you anymore. I'm sure you can come up with some generic reason for leaving. More money, maybe?

Good luck! I'm sure you will find something more suitable for you out there.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Do you have a co-worker who you can use as a reference? Does your resume show that, with the exception of this position, that you have a track record of staying longer at a company?

I wouldn't get so bent out of shape about the 1.5 years. 1.5 MONTHS would definitely raise some eyebrows. Two years is "only" six months away, so you're close to hitting that threshold anyway.

How am I supposed to talk to my boss about why I have decided to look for work because I can't bring up the drinking?
Why are you talking to your boss about searching for a new position? People look for jobs all the time without informing their bosses because they don't want to risk their current job while searching for a new one. It doesn't matter how close you are.

I'm also in a supervisory role, and I thoroughly expect, with the people I supervise, that they'll be in that role two - three years TOPS before they leave for another position (usually grad school or a job at a larger organization.) I also don't expect that they won't inform me of current job searches.

In regards to the reference, I would only offer my boss as a reference if I was at the final FINAL stage. Tell the potential employer that you would prefer not for them to contact your current supervisor unless you are definitely in the running. The smart places will understand.

So don't psych yourself out. And feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Yeah...what she said.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

My employment history is pretty solid. I have not been one to wander from pillar to post. This was my first job after the whole "old lady went back to school to get her PhD" thing. My husband had just died, I was finishing my degree, and I needed a job.

I have no experience in interviewing without letting my current employer know of my plans. I feel certain I can use the references I used while searching for my current job, although I would of course ask before offering their names.

Suki
Old 09-12-2017, 06:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I think whoever hires you will be very lucky, Seren.

I agree with the others that your present employer doesn't need to know you are looking, potential employers understand that. When the time comes that you get an offer you want to take you can simply tell your present employer that you are taking it because you would be happier doing what the new job required. No need to run through the dysfunction of your present place, just move on with grace and if you listen carefully, you will hear us all cheering you on.

Hugs
Old 09-12-2017, 08:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No need to run through the dysfunction of your present place
^^^^This a thousand times over.

Whenever an interviewee starts talking about how much "Current Employer sucks", it is an immediate red flag for me.

Talk about how you're looking for opportunities to grow, but also point out how your current skill set can bring value to the prospective position. Examples of previous contributions will be well-noted.

Your alma maters (both undergrad and grad) may be able to provide additional career counseling, and may have leads to positions that aren't necessarily advertised.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

No advice but I agree with Ann - whoever hires you will totally luck out Seren

D
Old 09-12-2017, 11:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Looks like you got some excellent advice, Seren.

Sending my support, love, and prayers.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

From what I've seen, 1.5 years is a lifetime in the working world anymore. I don't know what sort of work you do, but it sounds like a white collar/office environment. I work in a hospital, and it's nothing for people to change jobs within the health system every year or two. Usually they are trying to find their niche, or looking for more desirable shifts, etc.

If your work record is solid (results, attendance, etc), you should be fine. If you secure other employment, your company may have you do an "exit interview." This is usually done with HR, and this would be the time/place to bring up the alcohol issues. Who knows ? They may have already received complaints.

Good luck to you.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Can't really talk about where I work but I am a scientist (oceanographer, hydrogeologist). Those types of jobs are few and far, if you will. I may be looking for a while. I'll have to go dust off the CV now....
Old 09-13-2017, 03:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Seren View Post
Can't really talk about where I work but I am a scientist (oceanographer, hydrogeologist). Those types of jobs are few and far, if you will. I may be looking for a while. I'll have to go dust off the CV now....
Have you considered teaching ?
Old 09-13-2017, 04:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

In the US (for the most part), in order to teach in primary schools, you need a teaching degree and certification. That would be 90 more class hours that I do not have time for or money for right now.

Interestingly, I am qualified to teach at the university level. But, having done that some while obtaining my degree, I realize that I have neither the patience nor a thick enough skin to deal with today's college students. They deserve someone with a better attitude
Old 09-13-2017, 04:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Here I was, mid 40's, sober a number of yrs,
married for 20 something yrs, empty nesters,
restless, irritable and discontent living in
Houston, not my hometown and soooo wanting
to return to Baton Rouge. My Hometown.

I began applying for bank teller positions,
tapping into my experiences from my past
when I did work as a bank teller, going to
interviews, nothing panning out, yet I
prayed and placed my faith and will in
my HP's hands to help me return home
and exit my marriage.

Sure enough after doing the footwork,
my prayers were answered and was granted
a ticket in the way of a teller position back
in Baton Rouge.

I returned home, moved into an apt. and
began my new job right away. Of course,
I had to retrained because it had been many
yrs since I worked in a bank, and with all
the new computer technology we didn't
have back when, it was slow for me to grasp
because I wasn't computer savvy.

Of course after a few months I was let
go, not because I didn't pass the test
and training, but because of the working
of the younger generation being so
disrespectful and just down right mean
at the branch I was assigned to.

Of course I remembered in my prayers
that the golden ticket to the bank teller
position was just that. I realized that if
it didn't pan out then that was okay and
that I would need to find something else
in order to remain home because I wasn't
going back to Houston.

So, once again, I began applying for
different jobs quickly with not much
panning out, but I did the footwork,
placing my will and life into the Hands
of my HP for guidance, love and understanding.

Sure enough, someone in AA told me about
a bakery looking for help. Wow, I had not thought
about that one. For a may yrs, I baked and
brought many platters of fresh baked goodies
to my meetings over the yrs. and was named
the Cake Lady or, Sharon of Pepperidge Farms.

Anyway, I did apply and YES, I got the
position to work the front and wait on
customers. PERFECT.

Today, I'm retired with my husband
and out of the rat race continuing to
live my recovery life and placing my
life into the Hands of the Man who
continues to bless us and keep us
safe in His care.

I pray that you will be blessed with
the gift of a new job that will bring
you happiness and joy sometime soon.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hello,

Have you tried speaking to your HR department? You are typically protected while they investigate issues. Who knows, it may help your co-workers with the "problem" if your company has a counseling program as a benefit.

Also, it is acceptable to tell a potential employer that you are leaving your current role because the environment is not professionally or personally healthy for you. If they press you on it, be honest and tell them that you're not comfortable speaking negatively about your employer.

If you have a steady work history besides this one, most clients are fine with 1.5 years. When you have 3 or more in a row of 1.5 years, that's a red flag.

I own a recruiting company and would be happy to walk you through an interview to help you.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Seren-

I don't have any words of wisdom to offer except this.

This is my last week at my job of almost 18 years. I finally put in my notice at the end of June because of the toxic relationship I have now had with two bosses. I love my work, but not the environment, and I have given it a good try over the last number of years to see if it will work.

Just putting in the notice seemed to unlock/unstick something in me that was very stuck. Me doing this for me opened doors I did not imagine was there....I just had to make the first step.

I am glad you are taking this step of self-care for you. I hope the act of care opens doors for you like it did for me.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good thoughts, Seren.
It sounds as though your work in a specialized field is part of a scientific community where everyone knows everyone, and that your job search will soon become known at your current workplace, despite your efforts to keep it quiet?
If so, I can see why you want to let your boss know because he may find out anyway, and may not thank you for keeping it from him.
I have been part of an academic scientific community. It was, at times, a gossipy and petty place.
I guess my only advice would be to avoid the specifics of coworkers with alcohol issues and devise a more general approach, though, honestly, I am not sure at the moment what that might be.
Perhaps others will have suggestions.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sending hugs and support on your journey Seren!
Old 09-13-2017, 05:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I won't be speaking to HR about any of this. He and my current manager will have to deal with their own actions and consequences--one of which is that they will need to look for a new employee in the not-to-distant future. They are both nearing retirement and I am not willing to be the reason for any disciplinary action over this.

Interestingly enough, there have been other jobs open up just today within another department...and I qualify for two of them. It is something to consider.

Thank you so much for all your support and great suggestions!!
Old 09-13-2017, 05:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Yay!!!!