Notices

Relapsed

Old 09-12-2017, 01:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapsed

So I've been smoking since I was 16, but once I turned 17 it's become everyday, without fail. That's all I did, that's all I wanted to do. Over the last couple of months though, I knew that it was probably time that I stopped because I depended on it for EVERYTHING. Like if I have to go somewhere...anywhere...I wouldn't go unless I know I'm gonna smoke. It's reached the point where I'd skip uni some days because I didn't have any weed to help me get through it🙄. Anyways long story short, 10 days before my 20th bday I decided to stop....then my bday came and I convinced myself I deserved it(one day wouldn't hurt). The next day tho, cravings came back and I convinced myself that I could smoke and go be productive as I had errands to run. That didn't work out, after my first zoot all I wanted to do was smoke, so I went to my friends to have another session. The point is all I want to do is have a sober mind, but at the same time I can't really imagine life without weed, and if it can't be weed it just has to be something else that takes the edge off. But I have an addictive personality so stopping one thing and replacing it with something else is not smart and is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. All my friends tho are stoners, like hardcore. And to them my decision to stop just means it'll be a week or couple of days (if that), anything longer then that just seems crazy to them tbh. I know people are going to say you'll quit when your ready, but I am soooooo ready. Weed gets me more depressed after like half an hour of having it, and I resent it a lot of the times but I just always find myself back at it. Regardless. I don't know if this is making sense but I don't know where to start at this point. Do you think I'm just lying to myself for thinking I could ever stop? And I should just carry on
Old 09-12-2017, 02:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 12Courtney34 View Post
So I've been smoking since I was 16, but once I turned 17 it's become everyday, without fail. That's all I did, that's all I wanted to do. Over the last couple of months though, I knew that it was probably time that I stopped because I depended on it for EVERYTHING. Like if I have to go somewhere...anywhere...I wouldn't go unless I know I'm gonna smoke. It's reached the point where I'd skip uni some days because I didn't have any weed to help me get through it🙄. Anyways long story short, 10 days before my 20th bday I decided to stop....then my bday came and I convinced myself I deserved it(one day wouldn't hurt). The next day tho, cravings came back and I convinced myself that I could smoke and go be productive as I had errands to run. That didn't work out, after my first zoot all I wanted to do was smoke, so I went to my friends to have another session. The point is all I want to do is have a sober mind, but at the same time I can't really imagine life without weed, and if it can't be weed it just has to be something else that takes the edge off. But I have an addictive personality so stopping one thing and replacing it with something else is not smart and is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. All my friends tho are stoners, like hardcore. And to them my decision to stop just means it'll be a week or couple of days (if that), anything longer then that just seems crazy to them tbh. I know people are going to say you'll quit when your ready, but I am soooooo ready. Weed gets me more depressed after like half an hour of having it, and I resent it a lot of the times but I just always find myself back at it. Regardless. I don't know if this is making sense but I don't know where to start at this point. Do you think I'm just lying to myself for thinking I could ever stop? And I should just carry on
Hi Courtney.

Sorry for what brings you here but for sure, you'll get lots of support and close kindred spirits (my poison is alcohol, not weed) to give you advice. I think you can kick the addictive habit. This step you've taken to be speak up and be accountable is a great one. Make a plan for sobriety and you'll be good to go!
Old 09-12-2017, 02:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There is a whole forum for marijuana- although I have been where you are. You just have to stop listening to what your friends think is best for you and do what you think is best for you.
It sucks at first, not going to lie. You have irritability, cant sleep, cant eat and crave weed. But you want to quit has to be more than giving into short term pleasure. Trust me when I say that I smoked everyday all day for 12 years and I had the mentality nothing is fun without weed.
I just looked up all the positives of quitting weed, and truth be told there are many. I am 5 weeks off the MJ today, and now I don't even think about it, let alone crave it. I am much more articulate, not living to get high, I do way more with my time now, my mood swings are pretty much gone, and I don't look tired and red eyed all the time. I smoked from 14-26.... you CAN quit. I wish I would have quit sooner, I was selling myself short. Give it a fair chance. Good Luck.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi 12Courtney34 - welcome

I stopped after smoking for around 30 years so it definitely is possible to stop.

I had to change a few fundamental things - what I did for fun and who I hung around with - but my whole life revolved around smoking...I was determined to change.

I used to say I had an 'addictive personality' too - I'm not sure thats really a thing tho, more an excuse sometimes.

With a little effort and commitment it is possible to change and stay changed - I've been clean and sober for a decade now

we also have a marijuana sub forum if you want to check that out as well
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ana-addiction/
D
Old 09-12-2017, 06:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Do be careful not to replace one addiction with another. If you're worried that may happen, be prepared to address any underlying issues and you'll be equipped to avoid any type of addiction.

When I tapered off weed, my drinking, which was already going strong, increased even more. I hadn't addressed the underlying issues.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I wish you many days of sobriety. Addictions are a thief, don't let another day be taken from you! It's worth the struggle.