Notices

Back again

Old 09-11-2017, 08:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back again

Third try. I feel like dog poop. I've tried everything - therapy, medication, moderation. I've read every book. I keep ping ponging. Several days sober then bam! Why? Why? Why? I'm done. I have to be. I'm at an AA meeting waiting for it to start. I surrender.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

The 'why' is because you're an alcoholic. I had a hard time getting past the first few days, too, but once you do, things will become a bit easier.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm just so sick of myself.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi eyes - yeah I feel you.

What changed for me was using this place regularly - when those day 3 or 4 thoughts came, I had a place to come to and post about it, or read other peoples stories.

For all my rationalisations, I'd been drinking for so long I knew that drinking didn't work for me.

I wasn't sure but I owed myself the chance to see if sobriety would work for me - and it did

why not join the Class of September support thread (its also in this forum) and post daily or more than daily - as much as you need to?

Think about the changes you an make in your life to support your desire to be sober,. A good plan can help there - some good ideas here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...very-plan.html

D
Old 09-11-2017, 03:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee and Anna. I'll try. Going to bed early tonight and I'll try to screw up my courage to post my story tomorrow.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi eyes, you sound pretty down, just want to offer my support and let you know I agree with Anna and Dee. It takes a lot of effort and action, but sobriety can be attained.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello, eyes! No matter how many times you stumble, never stop trying. It does get better, and definitely gets easier, but it takes some effort. Keep going! You're with it!
Old 09-11-2017, 05:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to meet you, eyes. You're in good company.

I felt the same way when I finally quit - I was sick of myself, sick of trying to maintain a reckless lifestyle that was killing me. I was so afraid of missing out, of never enjoying myself again. Yet my drinking life was never fun anymore - I was miserable, numb, anxious, & putting myself in danger. It was wonderful to finally get free of it. You can do this.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks so much everyone. I feel much better today. I went to bed at 8pm and got a good night's rest. Day 2 today.

I'm generally an optimistic person. But this drinking thing is so hard to shake. The more I try to stop and fail, the more I get down on myself. But, it passes. If I don't drink, I feel great. I've been trying to quit in earnest for about a year now. My drinking is WAY down - 2 nights a week from being a daily drinker. But every 3rd or 4th day, the AV hits me like a hammer. I have to come up with a strategy for that.

I'll start a new thread with the whole story to introduce myself to the group. I first came here years back, but I never actually took the plunge to join the group. I'm not a "joiner" in general. But I have come to realize that I can't do this alone.

So thank you for all of your support, and I'll be back in a bit!
Old 09-12-2017, 05:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm glad you were able to sleep, eyes - that's a big problem in the early days.

I'm not a joiner either - but I came limping in here 10 yrs. ago and never left. That's how much the encouragement & camaraderie has meant to me. I never realized so many people had my very same thoughts. It was calming & gave me hope.