Notices

A sad case

Old 09-10-2017, 02:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A sad case

Hi all from the drizzly UK. Hope everyone is staying safe from Irma it must be so frightening waiting for it to land.

So this is my first post so hello

I have had a very long and painful relationship with alcohol and now finally i am paying the price. Over the years i have drunk everything from vodka which worked well when I needed to disguise it as water to wine and baileys. No rules apply really day time, night time, work time, anytime.

I have lots of embarrassing and shocking stories of what i have lost as a result of this poison which i want to share but dont want to bore you all from post one suffice to say my list of shame includes losing my brother, 2 close friends, work, and my health......I cannot drive now due to peripheral neuropathy and walking is difficult thanks to effects on my joints. I am a great advert for never even stating to drink in the first place.

I am in a goodish place now to give up (haven't yet....amazing eh but true ) so would like to join you all and learn as much as i can.

Thank you for reading
Old 09-10-2017, 02:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Digby. Good to have you here.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome - no time like the present.

My thoughts are that you start to work it out when you give up. It's one of those things that you get once you do it, but you have to want to give up more than you want to drink or it won't happen.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Digby. This is a wonderful place to get some help with quitting. You are not alone......many of us have lost far too much to alcohol addiction. If you read around you will see many have transformed their lives through recovery.
Support to you.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Digby and welcome! Yep I'm here in drizzly UK too!
Sounds to me like you're ready to go for it! You have a great awareness of what alcohol does and what it's taken from you too. Using the word poison is a great sign too!
How about making today your day? If not today then SOON. Have a clear out. Tip out all the poison. Clear all the bottles etc and make your home a booze free zone.
SR is truly an amazing place and can me a massive part of recovery if you use it. How about checking out the Class of September 2017 where people committing to recovery this month hang out to support one another.
Please take care and post as much as you can. No such thing as too much round here!
Old 09-10-2017, 02:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Digby

I don't think it's ever too late to give up and to write a new ending to your story

I drank for 20 ytearsm have been sober now for ten, and I know which one is better

I got my life back - it all starts with a day one

I hope to see you around some more

D
Old 09-10-2017, 03:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you every one its so good to be able to be honest for once in my life you have given me leaky eyes
Old 09-10-2017, 03:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Dig,

Welcome.

You helped me w your post because one of the issues I was having was peripheral neuropathy as well. I now have a name for my pain. More motivation to stay clean.

Numbness and tingling in my feet. My feet would swell as well. It sucked.

It all went away after quitting my binging.

It wouldn't suprise me if yours would as well.

Thanks.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had leaky eyes when I joined here too.
I look at it as the first steps to gettting feelings back

D
Old 09-10-2017, 04:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
Dig,

Welcome.

You helped me w your post because one of the issues I was having was peripheral neuropathy as well. I now have a name for my pain. More motivation to stay clean.

Numbness and tingling in my feet. My feet would swell as well. It sucked.

It all went away after quitting my binging.

It wouldn't suprise me if yours would as well.

Thanks.
oh that would be great if it went away.....i have it in my feet, hands and fingers, lips and tongue. Tests tomorrow so i will let you know what they say

Motivation is rising to do this .....if I could get rid of PN I would be so happy
Old 09-10-2017, 05:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Start a new life! If you do, things can only get better. It's not scary tackling these things up front and dealing with them (as many ofus believe it is), it's empowering. It IS scary continuing to run into oblivion. Prayers for your tests! !
Old 09-10-2017, 05:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
sober style

Hi, Digby. I have some partial numbness in my feet and ankles from drinking hard for 15 years. It's probably permanent but I've adjusted pretty well to it by now, both mentally and physically. It actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise by focusing my attention on what I was doing to my body ingesting this poison every day. I knew for sure I needed to quit before it progressed further.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Digby- you have 2 things I did not have...an awareness of WHAT could happen if you continue..and SR with years of collated narratives. Successes-failures, what worked and did not. Please use what is on offer. Perhaps join the Class of Sept. 2017 thread. See a doc about detox. I did not and have very,very bad seizures. Rehab is good if you can do it. A see an addiction counselor- a psychologist to learn how to heal (CBT) and go to AA meetings. Free coffee and biscuits plus a room full of people- regardless of how they stand with cliches, god and steps/sponsors. They understand- listen and it gets me out of my head space. I also keep a journal. Complete, unrepleted honesty is a must. Empathy and support to you, keep posting.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So happy for you Digby. On the road, the real road, at last. Welcome to the land of the living.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, I hope you can join us in a life of sobriety. It is infinitely better than being isolated in alcohol jail. I was a complete mess when I came here (some may argue I still am!), and with the support of the great people here I have accumulated 23 months with a one day slip recently. Not a perfect record, but better than bingeing 3 days per week....every week.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome Digby
Old 09-10-2017, 10:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Digby! We are all sad cases when we arrive here so you fit right in.
It is scary thinking of really getting rid of the poison from your life, but it sounds like you are ready. It is promising what D122y and Snazzy said about the PN. Having the PN go away or at least stop it from worsening must be a relief to hear! Your body is letting you know what the next step is. I get GI issues from drinking and stopping - my body telling me quite loudly tath I need to remove the Poison from my system and keep it out.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Digby! This is a wonderful and supportive community. I'm glad you are going to see your doctor. While you are there talk to him/her about recovery options in your area.

I have just over 20 months sober, and reading and posting on SR daily has been my biggest support. Someone mentioned the September 2017 thread, that is a great place to check in. Also, check out the 24 hour thread, it is a great place to make a commitment to remaining sober for the next 24 hours.

Today is a great day for a Day One.!!
Old 09-10-2017, 12:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR Digby,glad you are here.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi digby, welcome from across the pond in Ireland, good look on your new sober journey ��