Notices

Looking for Big Book thumpers

Old 09-09-2017, 03:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking for Big Book thumpers

Allright. I am new to this fancy computer thing so bear with me. I keep getting this message:
Our records indicate that you have never posted to our site!

Try making your first post in the Newcomers to Recovery Forum, or choose a forum from our list and become an active part of SoberRecovery now!
SO. Here is a post, I think. Is there a forum I could go to on this site that has people in it who can back up what they say with conference approved writings?
Old 09-09-2017, 03:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Screen,
Welcome. You may want to check out the Alcoholism-12 Step Forum here on SR. There's also a sub forum, the 12 step study.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Interesting profile name.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Screen
The link to our abovementioned 12 step forum is here:

Alcoholism-12 Step Support - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Welcome to SR
D
Old 09-09-2017, 03:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The name means nothing. I had a different online name, but this site would not accept it. Thank you PathwayTo Free. I am going to check it out.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well thanks. I was wandering around in here and saw the saying you have about being kind. Nice.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Still looking forBig Book Thumpers

I have been looking around this site, and others, looking for some hard core AA people. Can anyone out there help me?
Old 09-13-2017, 05:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi , welcome . Dr Bob and Bill W .
While not a AA,r I am amazed at how the BB was put together and often dive in and read parts . Occasionally I watch some youtube videos . All of this comforts me .
Old 09-13-2017, 05:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Screen

This is a big site - sometimes things will fall into your lap and sometimes you might have to go looking for what you want/need.

Is there a forum I could go to on this site that has people in it who can back up what they say with conference approved writings?
I notice you haven't started a thread in the 12 step section.

That would be my first port of call to find the specific kind of recovery you want

D
Old 09-13-2017, 06:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There are many of us to be found at an AA meeting as well I also suggest reading some of the writings that Joe and Charlie put out; I really like how they helped guide me through and understand the narrative of the Big Book.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Screen View Post
I have been looking around this site, and others, looking for some hard core AA people. Can anyone out there help me?
not sure what yer definition of a hard core AA person is. if that means someone that knows the big book and does their best to live it, theres quite a few here.
HOWEVER
if the definition of a hardcore AA person is someone that thinks AA is the only way, prolly not as many of them here.

what ya need help with?
Old 09-15-2017, 06:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello tomsteve. What I am am looking for is a group of people online who actually study the big book, Dr. Bob and the Good Old Timers, A.A. Comes of Age, etc..
I am very tired of causing trouble at meetings. People do not differentiate between personal opinion, and A.A. opinion. The message of recovery is a great thing. The message of A.A. is what I would like to hear.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. I find that the 12 step forum is a quagmire, a swamp of sorts. When I go on it I find all sorts of posts from years ago. When I Google "hardcore online AA", the second result on the page is a 4 year old post from this site. There is too much forest there. I need to see trees.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

We've reached the limit of my knowledge in this area, I'm afraid.
Good luck with your search Screen

D
Old 09-15-2017, 06:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Screen, Welcome!

I notice you haven't posted on the 12-step forum. Maybe you could start a thread about your interest in the BigBook, and hopefully members would come along and post.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I need to see trees.
ok, then start planting them. theres room in the 12 step forum for new threes.
works with meetings,too. its quite simple to start a 12 step study,big book study,etc meeting.

one question,though:
why do you NEED to see the trees?
Old 09-15-2017, 07:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

If you start a new thread in the Step forum, we big book thumpers will show up to post on your thread to share our experience. Plant the seed. We'll help you grow the tree you say you want from there. There's a handful of us big book thumpers still on SR.

On the AA meeting list online, (www.aa.org to start). Big book meetings are noted as BB. Go to a few a week in person to start off with.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. I find that the 12 step forum is a quagmire, a swamp of sorts. When I go on it I find all sorts of posts from years ago. When I Google "hardcore online AA", the second result on the page is a 4 year old post from this site. There is too much forest there. I need to see trees.
You can gain a lot of insight by reading through the old posts. Our experience from back then is still our experience. :-)

If you have specific stuff you want us to share about, create a new thread. We're more than happy to share our experience to help you. It's what we do best. :-)

The big book and the steps are to be experienced, not just understood. I hope that helps. Please stay, we have a lot of big book step experience and recovery that we're happy to share with you. We can help you work through your recovery growth as you go through the steps yourself out of the big book, too.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you all, but I am leaving. I swish you well, but this site is way too congested with old stuff. It makes finding anything new, or ongoing very difficult. For example, My "looking for Big Book Thumpers" post shows up 5 times when I click the "my Posts" tab. I have tried to go through your 12 step meeting area but it is difficult to find new posts. You people probably know it well, but as a newcomer to this site I would like to see an archives section where the old stuff is.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:06 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

sorry to see ya go, screen. it would be nice to have seen answered
why do you NEED to see the trees?
i am responsible
when ANYONE ANYWHERE reaches out for help