Notices

Realizing how hard this will be

Old 09-04-2017, 06:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Realizing how hard this will be

We went out tonight and when we got home my toddler started with her insistent whining which made me realize it was close to her bedtime, I can already hear the thought processes start in my brain. I can feel that to urge for a drink. It's almost like an exact trigger, when the sun is going down so is my ability to remember the importance of why I need to say no.

It makes me realize how hard this is going to be. I'm glad I can write on here and hear other people and get the support, so thanks!
Old 09-04-2017, 07:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

It is difficult, those early days. But everyone who is sober has gone through them. You can too.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It is difficult but it's a long way from impossible. The more you beat that craving the easier things get

here are some ideas that may help:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D

Last edited by Dee74; 09-04-2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sarbear, I'm so glad you came here and posted. The link Dee posted is a great one. I found it really helpful to have something else planned during those hours I would have normally been drinking. If you like to read there are some great recovery books tailored for moms. One of my favorite books was Drinking , A Love Story it isnt tailored just for moms, but is a great one. There is a book thread on here, I will find it and post it below.

Netflix, baths, adult coloring books, yoga, exercise videos, are some other good ways to pass the time when you put your little one to bed.

I found that I like having a drink at night still, I have varied between green tea, regular tea, hot chocolate, and sparkling waters. My most recent is Pelligrino with lots of ice, lime, and a little bit of Splenda, it is refreshing.

Keep reading and posting. Early days are hard, but I promise they get easier.

❤️Delilah
Old 09-04-2017, 08:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Here is the link.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ependence.html
Old 09-04-2017, 08:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I totally get it! Kinda like when football would come on for me! The urge would start. I will be working on new habits and thoughts because here it comes!
Old 09-05-2017, 06:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I think I understand Sarbear. One of the ways that I used drinking was to better tolerate/numb out the whining and other irritations from the kids. And also as a reward for getting them to bed. Finally. Sadly, their antics and problems grew right along with them so the drinking carried on - and also grew.

Having lived through this and seen how badly it turned out for me on many levels, my advice is to learn how to parent while not drinking. Or not drink while being a parent. Whichever. It's hard work to be sure, but I believe that you and your child will ultimately be much closer and happier throughout your lives if you do the work now.

I hope that this doesn't sound "judgey." I saw a show on youtube that helped me to really see myself and mistakes I had made. I wanted to jump right in the Time Machine to get a re-do. If you'd like me to find the link, send me a PM. I'd be happy to do so.

O