Notices

Tooo much beer ( I think)

Old 09-04-2017, 03:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tooo much beer ( I think)

Salute

I'm new here, so good day to all.

I've never started something like this, but here goes.

I'm drinking about 1,5L of beer almost every night for quite a while now. My problem is that I don't seem to be able to control this urge to drink.
I know it's a problem and find myself saying "no beer today" but later, just a quick thought about beer and I know that I will sit down again and have 2-3 bottles that evening. Worst part is I find myself trying to get the kids (2 of them) quicker into bed so that I can start drinking my beer earlier and not at 22:00.

prob#2.. I don't really want to give up drinking beer altogether either. I'm at a loss as what to do.

I'm 55, weigh about 115kg, and have been drinking for about 35yrs now. Before it was at patry or after a Rugby match but now its every day for the last 2 yrs.

any help would be appriciated.

Mark
Old 09-04-2017, 03:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Mark

I was in a similar bind - I couldn't control my drinking but I didn't want to stop drinking either.

What I really wanted was to drink as much as I liked and not have any negative consequences.

I found that impossible - so I really had to choose

I was at the point of nearly dying from my drinking so I chose not drinking.

I have no vested interest in what you ultimately decide, but I literally could not have imagined how much better my life is, and how much better I am, sober.

I hope you give it some thought

D
Old 09-04-2017, 05:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Mark, We are close in age and amount of time drinking. I too would try to plan my family time around drinking. And always drinking won. I wish I could have back some of the time I lost with my kids and grandkids. I decided drinking is not going to get another minute. Good luck to you.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Mark , I loved my beer but my drinking was not daily while I was working however when Friday night came it was beer non stop almost till Sunday afternoon then time to get straightened out for work on Monday but as time went on the Mondays went to Teusdays and I knew I had to do something . Got to AA and had 2 years sober then slipped and found this wonderful recovery group . Ive had a few slips since but now just over a month sober .
Well done for facing up to your drinking .
Old 09-04-2017, 06:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A lot of that sounds like how I used to drink - drinking 3-4 beers or glasses of wine...rushing to put the kids in bed early so I could drink, then having to wake up early to take care of them hungover. I knew I had a problem back then, but I didn't have the resolve to stop until years later when I hit 8+ drinks a day.

Lots of really, really bad stuff happened before I finally quit. Knowing how stubborn I was, I am sure none of us can say anything to make you want to quit entirely - or perform A Christmas Carol scenario of your life if you yourself don't make the decision.

I think you have some impetus to to convince yourself stop drinking entirely since you are here questioning your own behavior. Drinking will only make things worse and I am sure you recognize that kernel of truth based on your post.

The best advice I can think of is to know that you're stronger than you think.

Best wishes in your journey. We're rooting for you.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by princerupert View Post
Salute

I'm new here, so good day to all.

I've never started something like this, but here goes.

I'm drinking about 1,5L of beer almost every night for quite a while now. My problem is that I don't seem to be able to control this urge to drink.
I know it's a problem and find myself saying "no beer today" but later, just a quick thought about beer and I know that I will sit down again and have 2-3 bottles that evening. Worst part is I find myself trying to get the kids (2 of them) quicker into bed so that I can start drinking my beer earlier and not at 22:00.

prob#2.. I don't really want to give up drinking beer altogether either. I'm at a loss as what to do.

I'm 55, weigh about 115kg, and have been drinking for about 35yrs now. Before it was at patry or after a Rugby match but now its every day for the last 2 yrs.

any help would be appriciated.

Mark
>>My problem is that I don't seem to be able to control this urge to drink.<<

Any idea WHY?