Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Went to the hospital last night & heading for a 5-Day Recovery Center.

Notices

Old 09-01-2017, 07:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I couldn't stand it last night I was about 24 hours in self detox, yet my heart was still giving me palpitations. That's what makes me the most scared. Never did an ER scenario & I have to admit everyone the nurses & staff were simply wonderful too me. Treated me with respect.

I course they didn't get to me for 2.5 hours. They gave me ativan? I really like this drug. Within an hour my shakes & heart felt much better (not perfect, but better.) As I was leaving they game me one more pill & this did the trick BIGTIME. Got home (it was 1;30AM) & just fell out for 6+ hours of perfect sleep.

Now I decided to give up my labor day plans (had some great things laid out) Though not drinking. I'm a binge drinker, so I can go weeks without booze the reset & go on a tear. Heading to a 5 day detox/residence @ Spectrum/New England Recovery in Westborough, MA. Would like to stay longer, but this my busiest time of the year with for my work & I have insanely great health insurance.

I know I'm doing the right thing. But nobody wants to go through the screening process, pack your bags, kiss your wife (other have) goodbye, miss out of some great neighborhood parties etc. But I created this nightmare & it time to dig myself out. My wife (who I don't deserve) said "Alex...This will be the toughest accomplishment you even have to do in your life" She right. Be well all & wish me luck!
Old 09-01-2017, 07:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you are making a good decision and I'm glad you went to the ER last night. It's always nice to hear that you are treated well in such a situation.

Stay in touch when you can and let us know how you are doing.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Learning to Live

It's great the ER treated you nicely. You're making a great choice. Best wishes to you!
Old 09-01-2017, 07:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Be well Alex, best of luck to you.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You made a fantastic, courageous and bold decision Alock. I also did something very similar (very short inpatient stay) some 640 days ago and it is the last time I drank. For me, those few days were critical so that I could, for the first time in many years, focus solely on me. My only recommendation is that you use these days that you have to build the recovery tools that you will need when you get out. Go to every class that you can, speak to every counselor you can, and take the time to write out a detailed recovery plan. Good luck! You've made a great decision.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good stuff!
I am also in Mass.
You know what was the most important tool in my recovery? Big Book Step Study meetings. Those SPECIFIC meetings. I still attend them almost exclusively.

Massachusetts AA Big Book Step Study Meetings | Concord NHBBSS

Get out of detox, get a sponsor and start working the steps. You'll never have to drink again.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So many thank you's! Really appreciate it. I'll follow-up when I'm back on Tuesday.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Very smart choice, Alex! You will get some useful 'tools' to begin your sober life journey. This will be the best step you made to get you strong and on the right path. Good Luck and keep us posted!
Old 09-01-2017, 04:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you're doing the right thing too alock - best wishes!

D