Notices

Worried about medical for new job...

Old 08-31-2017, 01:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Worried about medical for new job...

I posted recently some great news that I had regarding a new job. It's literally double the salary I'm currently on along with a whole host of other benefits such as a company car, very good pension, private healthcare etc. I'm really excited about it.

However, some of the paperwork has now come through and as I am getting a company car, I have to be medically assessed. Part of this from what I have read up on is blood test for liver function.

In addition to this, I'm worried they will contact my Dr and see that I have a history of alcohol dependence and am also on antidepressants. I've not seen my doctor with regards to alcohol since around 2012 I think, however, after joining this forum, I went to a local government funded support group and they asked me if it was ok for them to let my doctor know I had been in touch and I said yes.

So to sum it up, I'm worried about my liver test results, past history and possibly a recent comment on my medical file saying I have been in touch with alcohol services taking my dream job away from me.

Has anyone had any experience with a similar situation?
Old 08-31-2017, 02:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How are the patient/doctor confidentiality 'laws/ethics' in your area? I understand the company car/medical eval on the company's side though.. How long since you drank/drugged is going to depend on your liver/bilirubin count(It should come down when you stop feeding it) **NOT medical advice**. I think and hope you'll be OK.I would love to double my income!!! CONGRATS!
Old 08-31-2017, 02:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on the new job?

When you were told about being medically assessed, did they ask you if they could talk to your dr or did they just mention medical tests? I guess it would depend on what they require medically when you use a company car.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Main thing IS!!!! Either outcome is not an excuse to drink....correct?
Old 08-31-2017, 03:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hope it works out for you Tidytemper x
Old 08-31-2017, 05:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Here in the states an employer requesting medical information about a potential employee has to be very specific about what they want, and even then access is limited. They can't just ask for your medical history record and go thumbing thru it willy nilly. You would also have to sign a formal written release that would specifically tell them what they can have access to and what they can't. That's what HIPPA laws here in the states are for.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I'm feeling a bit more optimistic now I've slept on it.

I'm hopefully just overthinking it. What you say about them not being able to access my full medical record does ring true, and on the off chance that they ask my doctor for a statement on my fitness to drive, I doubt there is anything in there recently that would be of concern. For starters I am already driving and have a full clean license.

I've not drank for a couple of months now and the medical won't be for another 6 weeks so hopefully all will be better on the liver tests.

I thinks it's to do with insurance and the employers liability if I'm involved in an accident.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

That all sounds reasonable, and this is all a really good reason to stay sober and make the most of this new, wonderful job!
Old 09-01-2017, 04:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wouldn't overthink it either tidytemper - wishing you the best in your new job

D