Notices

How much did you drink and what were withdrawals like?

Old 08-31-2017, 10:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How much did you drink and what were withdrawals like?

I was at about 1.5 bottles of wine daily since late March (although that had just been a month long stint of sobriety), with a few days off here and there. Last drink was Tuesday night. I'm sitting in fear of withdrawals but so far, just some sweating last night. I've been eating raw vegan, tons of vitamins, exercising and praying. I'm sure it could still hit me so I'm wondering about other's experiences. Thank you!
Old 08-31-2017, 10:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Sounds like you are doing well.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I drank; ALL OF IT! Whatever it was. My withdrawls varied each time in severity. The last time I drank(1 night'slip') was well over two months ago(don't really count days) and I had no withdrawl,but an INSANE hangover for 2-3days. I also slept with random women that night and made an ass out of myself too,sooo it took a while for that 'shame/guilt' feeling to go away.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Bottle of wine each night in less than 90 minutes for last year.

Withdrawl: sweats for two nights. Insomnia for 5-ish nights (still not perfect). Tiredness for three weeks. No cravings at all for any of the time. Week 4 - mega dreaming and remembering dreams again.

Tealily will be along in a minute to tell you everyone is different and she is quite right of course.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Fairydust,

I think the proper reply here is that we are not supposed to offer medical advice. Everyone is different, and an individual's history with alcohol, especially repeated withdrawals, makes a difference, too. A phenomenon called "kindling".

Do you have a general medical doctor you could check in with? Might be good to do in any case, but especially if you are worried. Better safe than sorry.

I stopped drinking on my own at home without many physical effects, other than having a hard time getting to sleep for a couple of weeks. BUT .. everyone is different.

(Moderators, hope this is an ok reply. Let me know if not.)
Old 08-31-2017, 11:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks all. Last time I did this things were worse... drinking weekend mornings and adding scotch to the mix. The first day was awful...I felt sick, couldn't concentrate, shaky, sweaty. For a few days felt like my startle response was out of hand, headaches etc. But my diet was awful and I wasn't exercising so I'm hoping that's what's different. Still nervous though.

Another thing I've added that I think could be helpful for others is drinking Apple cider vinegar morning and night with water and lemon.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I was drinking about 1 liter of hard stuff a week.

Never really got over my hangovers. My brain and guts were in bad shape. Booze rots us from the inside out. I would get flu like symptoms after a couple of days of no booze. Nightmare.

That was over 2 years ago.

I had about half an oz of cognac on the 28th. Very stupid deciscion. AV was alive and well.

I felt off my game for a day or two.

Thanks.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My brain is getting a little foggy and I have a headache, but still hoping for the best.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi 4 days sober, been drinking since thirteen, now over 50. I used to drink mostly beer about a case a week. But 2 years ago I lost my daughter to heroin addiction. So I used that as an excuse to double up on the beer and throw whiskey in the mix . Passing out most evenings. Last weekends binge was a wake up. Woke up with pain on left side so I made decision to quit. Holiday weekend coming up. Hope I can stay strong. Good luck to you.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Joe, you can do it. Join the Sept. class and work the program. You'll love it.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Last time I quite I was really paranoid....I haven't picked up again that was 15 months ago. I couldn't handle that. I really don't remember what I had to get to that point.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I drank for about twenty years, maybe two cases of beer a week. After I stopped cold turkey, I had sweating, shakes and insomnia for about ten days – if I managed to sleep, I had very vivid nightmares. After that I was very, very tired for about a month or a month and a half, even though I slept a lot, and I do mean a lot.

Everyone's different, though. Good luck to you, fairydustsienna.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I don't think the quantity matters, what matters is that alcohol was badly affecting our lives and those around us.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

TOO MUCH, a deadly amount every evening.

Withdrawals sucked big time.

If you are concerned then maybe talk with a dr?
Old 09-01-2017, 05:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

At the end, 16 drinks a day....
Tried to detox at home but wound up with hallucinations, shaking, sweating, no balance etc.
Detoxed in the hospital. That was bad enough.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks all

I definitely know that the effect of alcohol on my life is what's important... But part of quitting was the fear of withdrawals since I experienced them last year. However, I'm still doing pretty well, so for that I am grateful.
Whenever I stop, I look back and wonder what the heck was I thinking. But I know it takes a hold of our brains like a monster.
Time to slay the monster.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm more of a binge drinker but had a rather long binge and am now coming out of it. Quantity wise it could be 10, 15 drinks a night I have no idea really I just start and I don't stop. Last few days have been as the above have described. No sleep, maybe a nightmare while being awake, my anxiety is all over the place. I've had it worse though and got through it so here's hoping.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Mimosas in the morning, a beer or two for lunch, a bottle for dinner. Cutted the mimosas first, then the beer, finaly the wine. I started with flu like symptoms, so I was in bed for 3 days sleeping, then low and slow, drinking lots of water, eating lots of bananas and toast, after a week I started feeling a bit better, now at 20 days is just the cravings but physically I feel great!
Old 09-02-2017, 12:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

20 drinks a day for two months, plus Lunesta. Medical detox required.

Here's a chart that predicts withdrawal severity based on number of standard drinks and number of consecutive drinking days.

hams.cc/odds/

This should merely be considered a reference. Everyone is different, so it's never a bad idea to consult your doctor, rather than Doctor Google.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:30 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

When I start going it's like routine... a mickey the first night, 26'er the next night, 26'er the next night, then after that whatever I can get my hands on until I pass out or wake up in the hospital, then usually something will get me to stop and ill start dealing with the absolute worst withdrawls you could possibly imagine. Insomnia, diareah, stomach pain/nausea, shaking, terrible anxiety and tremors. These used to last 1 day, then about a year ago they lasted 2 days, now they last 3 days, progressively getting worse everytime I decide to destroy my body. Hopefully that last one was the last time.

Thanks for listenig.