Notices

Suboxone and Taper Advice

Old 08-30-2017, 10:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Suboxone and Taper Advice

I've been taking suboxne for a few years in a program. I go once a month and see a counselor there. I also go to my regular doctor that prescribes me klonopins for anxiety.

The suboxone place I go to was trying to cut down on the amount of patients and subs they were prescribing. So they suggested I ask my other doctor to prescribe me the subs instead. They gave me a script for 2 weeks and told me to come back if my other doctor wouldn't fill them. That was 3 months ago. My other doctor wasn't able to do that. He said he's over the limit of patients he can give subs too.

Then I got really sick and missed my appointment to refill my script at the program. So I never went back. I had a lot of subs leftover and decided I could use them to taper off myself. I took the last of them last week and had some withdrawal symptoms but it wasn't horrible. I'm on week 2 now and I'm having serious cravings. I haven't done any opioids in 8 years and I never want to do them again.

I want to get off the subs for good. But do it the right way by going back to the program so they can help with tapering off.

I'm scared that since I never went back and it's been 3 months they might refuse to help me. There gonna ask me how I went 3 months without any subs. Can I tell them i was getting them somewhere else? I don't wanna tell them I had a bunch of leftovers bc that won't look good to them.

Does anyone have experience with going to these programs? Do you think they'll help me even though it's been 3 months and I never went back? I feel like that might be an issue.

Thanks for any advice you can give
Old 08-30-2017, 03:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi and welcome Kellabella

Let me preface by saying I've never been on subs so this is an answer based on common sense rather than experience.

I hope you will go back and see your Dr.

The worst thing they can say is no - which is pretty much where you are now anyway.

I'd be honest - I think having some saved up is better than telling them, or letting them think, you got them off the street?

D
Old 08-30-2017, 05:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think I'm gonna go back tomorrow bc your right the worst thing they could do is say no. I'll be a little surprised if they do say no since there all about helping us stay away from opioids.

I don't plan on telling them I got them off the street? I just hope they believe me. I've had a perfect track record for 5 years there when it comes to drug tests or lying. So hopefully it works out.

Thank you for responding
Old 08-31-2017, 02:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey kellabella,
If you've been off of the subs, how come you don't want to stay off? I'm just curious, as I've no experience with them, but it would seem it would be healthier to just try and get through the cravings without being on a med that causes dependence? I mean, how does suboxone work? Does one stay on them for the rest of his/her life? (just looking for some enlightenment, as it seems so many people are being placed on this medication and I"m kind of clueless)
Old 08-31-2017, 08:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I do want to stay off them for good. That's why I want to go back to the program so I can taper off them in a healthy way. I tried to do it myself and they always say that's a bad idea. That's why I've had cravings and withdrawals symptoms.

I've heard of some people that stay on them the rest of there lives. But I think those are severe cases.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you get off of these you need to taper off, not cold turkey it, how you are surviving is amazing! You should be able to find a clinic or something in or near your town to help you,, I mean say you had them stashed just in case because you where scared. But get help and see about getting off of it, I am tapering off, I am on Kaiser and they want everybody off of the stuff, state mandated to do so eventually at least they say that or get you to as close as they can!
Old 05-02-2018, 09:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Myshot

can I ask you to frame things in terms of your experience - we don't allow medical advice here - 'this is what I did' instead of 'this is what you should do.'

here's the rule:

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
Thanks

D
Old 06-12-2018, 07:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kellabella83 View Post
I've been taking suboxne for a few years in a program. I go once a month and see a counselor there. I also go to my regular doctor that prescribes me klonopins for anxiety.

The suboxone place I go to was trying to cut down on the amount of patients and subs they were prescribing. So they suggested I ask my other doctor to prescribe me the subs instead. They gave me a script for 2 weeks and told me to come back if my other doctor wouldn't fill them. That was 3 months ago. My other doctor wasn't able to do that. He said he's over the limit of patients he can give subs too.

Then I got really sick and missed my appointment to refill my script at the program. So I never went back. I had a lot of subs leftover and decided I could use them to taper off myself. I took the last of them last week and had some withdrawal symptoms but it wasn't horrible. I'm on week 2 now and I'm having serious cravings. I haven't done any opioids in 8 years and I never want to do them again.

I want to get off the subs for good. But do it the right way by going back to the program so they can help with tapering off.

I'm scared that since I never went back and it's been 3 months they might refuse to help me. There gonna ask me how I went 3 months without any subs. Can I tell them i was getting them somewhere else? I don't wanna tell them I had a bunch of leftovers bc that won't look good to them.

Does anyone have experience with going to these programs? Do you think they'll help me even though it's been 3 months and I never went back? I feel like that might be an issue.

Thanks for any advice you can give
We are addicts! They expect you to get your drugs off the street! But they dont expect you to misuse their program...and yes, i have lots of experience here..

Itd always be better to say you got them off the street in this situation.