Notices

Help needed please: foul odor.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help needed please: foul odor.

I am currently unable to leave my room as my housemate who has just moved in is an alcoholic and smells like putrid mildew being sweated out of his skin, so foul that I can smell it creeping in through the crack in my door. A smell so foul no bath could take away. If I step out of my room I gag. Have to hold my breath and nose even to use my own bathroom. The smell fills every square inch of space in the house..... I feel like I can even smell it on my clothes!!! Will this smell go away???
Old 08-30-2017, 07:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome,help
"Will this smell go away???"
when you evict the housemate,yes, it will go away.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have a housemate just like that, and I have smelled like that too after heavy, week long binges.
The smell does go away quite fast when a person gives up drinking, but if your housemate keeps drinking I'm afriad he keeps stinking. I am not sure, but the guy in the room next to mine has been smelling like that all the time since i moved in a few month ago. Probably a mix of alcohol toxins and poor hygine...
Old 08-30-2017, 07:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You will either have to evict your neighbor or change your apartment yourself. It seems that he will have alcoholism for a long time.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

God, I remember smelling like that after a long binge. One of many things I don't miss about drinking. Thank God my roommates live in a different part of the house.

He won't stop smelling like that until he quits drinking.

Not only that, do you want to continue living with someone in active addiction?
Old 08-30-2017, 04:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome

I don't think I could live with an active alcoholic - thinking back to my drinking days the smell was not the worst of it, by a long shot.

maybe it's best to change roommates?
D
Old 08-30-2017, 11:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Running on Backup Power

Ugggh...the more I think about it, the more I realize what I probably smelled like after days of drinking and not showering to the rest of the world. I remember noticing the smell but not caring. Usually people grow accustomed to the smells they're around constantly; for me to distinctly notice it despite that, it must have been pretty bad to everyone else! It did have this uniquely rank quality to it. Thank god I lived alone.

Nobody ever mentioned it to me, though. I was always careful to shower before going to anything really important, but I still have the feeling a lot more people noticed than they let on. He might honestly not notice how bad the smell is, so your first action should probably be to mention it to him. There's little you can do about his alcoholism, but showering frequently did help me quite a bit.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

encourage them to get a health check up. Sounds like organs are getting pickled. "pickled" is a medical term. Gross