Enneagrams

Old 08-30-2017, 07:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Enneagrams

I just meandered from a mention I saw on the internet about enneagrams to a site that had the 144-question quiz. I took it and came out a 9.

So I searched for something actionable to take away from the analysis (which was pretty spot on), and I found this article

Type 9s are known for their avoidance and desire to not rock the boat, and those traits have definitely been hallmarks that have defined my relationship with my AH. I found this list to be potentially good reminders to not lose myself in my desire to go along. If any of you are Type 9s, this might be helpful

Practical suggestions for Type Nine:
  • Take regular exercise that gets the heartbeat going and amps the energy.
  • Practice asking clearly for what you want in relationships.
  • If you find yourself saying, “I don’t know,” or “Okay, whatever…” pay attention. Instead tell them you will let them know when you decide, that you need time to think.
  • Start a daily journal. Every day write down , “I am angry about…” at least three times and learn to acknowledge this emotion in your life.
  • Make daily realistic lists of what you want to accomplish and stick to them.
  • If you go to the fridge between meals, ask what uncomfortable thing you are avoiding.
  • Learn to include your opinion in a group by asking your higher self what it wants, as if it were another equally valid member, and verbalize it.
  • Exert yourself. Force yourself to pay attention to what is going on. Do not drift off or tune out people or daydream. Work on focusing your attention to become an active participant in the world around you. Try to become more mentally and emotionally engaged.
  • It is worth examining your type’s tendency to go along with others, doing what they want to keep the peace and be nice. Will constantly acquiescing to the wishes of others provide the kind of relationships that will really satisfy you? Remember, it is impossible to love others if you are not truly present to them. This means that you have to be yourself, that you (paradoxically) have to be independent so that you can really be there for others when they need you.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I checked out some of those because your post intrigued me and I had never heard of enneagrams. Turns out my type 6 was uncannily accurate about how I look at the world.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Another 9 here. Hate conflict, love connection and have a tough time getting off the couch even though I am somewhat athletic.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoloMio View Post
I just meandered from a mention I saw on the internet about enneagrams to a site that had the 144-question quiz. I took it and came out a 9.

So I searched for something actionable to take away from the analysis (which was pretty spot on), and I found this article

Type 9s are known for their avoidance and desire to not rock the boat, and those traits have definitely been hallmarks that have defined my relationship with my AH. I found this list to be potentially good reminders to not lose myself in my desire to go along. If any of you are Type 9s, this might be helpful

Practical suggestions for Type Nine:
  • Take regular exercise that gets the heartbeat going and amps the energy.
  • Practice asking clearly for what you want in relationships.
  • If you find yourself saying, “I don’t know,” or “Okay, whatever…” pay attention. Instead tell them you will let them know when you decide, that you need time to think.
  • Start a daily journal. Every day write down , “I am angry about…” at least three times and learn to acknowledge this emotion in your life.
  • Make daily realistic lists of what you want to accomplish and stick to them.
  • If you go to the fridge between meals, ask what uncomfortable thing you are avoiding.
  • Learn to include your opinion in a group by asking your higher self what it wants, as if it were another equally valid member, and verbalize it.
  • Exert yourself. Force yourself to pay attention to what is going on. Do not drift off or tune out people or daydream. Work on focusing your attention to become an active participant in the world around you. Try to become more mentally and emotionally engaged.
  • It is worth examining your type’s tendency to go along with others, doing what they want to keep the peace and be nice. Will constantly acquiescing to the wishes of others provide the kind of relationships that will really satisfy you? Remember, it is impossible to love others if you are not truly present to them. This means that you have to be yourself, that you (paradoxically) have to be independent so that you can really be there for others when they need you.
Type 3 BUT under stress to average 9 followed by Type 6 (codependent!)
Old 08-31-2017, 07:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Type 2! And pretty accurate (The "Helper") But I thought it was funny taking the test because I couldn't decide what I was on most of the questions. I almost gave up bc I was so overwhelmed by thinking "kinda me" on EVERY question. Did anyone else feel that way?
Old 09-01-2017, 09:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Smarie78 View Post
But I thought it was funny taking the test because I couldn't decide what I was on most of the questions. I almost gave up bc I was so overwhelmed by thinking "kinda me" on EVERY question. Did anyone else feel that way?
There were a few where I didn't think either option applied, but I had to pick the best option, and a few required reflection to get to how I typically behave (they stressed in the instructions to think about how you behave, rather than how you feel you'd want to be). But there were many "no-brainers" for me.

What I like about this test/analysis is the idea isn't simply to identify your type--it's really to help you realize where you are starting from and work on your specific land mines. When it comes to personal development it's almost like the difference between getting chemotherapy vs targeted therapy based on genetic testing. We each have our own diagnosis, "genetic code" and our "therapy" should reflect the distinctions.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My enneagram was all over the place. I took different tests to see if I got different results, because I like to poke at things. First I was a 5. Then a 3w4. Then a 6.

I think this is actually affirmation that I'm a Gemini.