PLEASE Give me advice...Cocaine Addict

Old 08-28-2017, 11:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy PLEASE Give me advice...Cocaine Addict

Hello, I am new here. 28 year old woman. I really need some advice or thoughts about my situation.

4 months ago my addict ex left me. Here's the thing - I had NO idea he was an addict! We were together for 4+ years. I was devastated. The past 4 months of therapy have uncovered that for the last 8 months of our relationship, he had a cocaine problem. While I was blaming myself, my therapist said he left me because he wanted to freely do cocaine.

There are 2 things I am trying very hard to understand. I am not an addict, have never even smoked weed, and have never had addiction in my family.

#1 - How can you leave someone after 4+ years with absolutely NO remorse?? The break up was weird. He never gave me a reason. He kept kissing my head and then couldn't get away from me fast enough. He said it was the hardest thing he has ever done in his life. I lived with him (have no family out here by the way...and he knows that) never told me where to go, what the next steps were, nothing. I kept the dog and it is a HUGE responsibility. I now have my own place, but it's in a terrible area...I just can't afford anything else right now. Will he ever feel bad or realize what he's done?

#2 - From what I hear he has spiraled completely. I saw him at a wedding and he has easily lost 20 lbs., raspy voice, bloodshot eyes and his parents told me they pay for all his bills now because "he has no money." (and he makes good money.) From what I read, He also now suddenly has some kind of girlfriend, and I'm devastated and confused. Everything I read says addicts aren't capable of having relationships...so why is he in one when he hasn't even acknowledged the one he threw away?

Please help me in trying to understand this. He is definitely addicted to cocaine badly and potentially pain killers (those used to be his drug of choice when he was addicted before I met him, but I don't know what the signs of this would look like.)

I guess my question is...will he ever reach back out to me? Do cocaine addicts know that they abandon people to freely do cocaine? And why/how does he already have a gf?!
Old 08-28-2017, 01:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hi there, so sorry for what brings you to SR. but you are not alone!

we can't help you "get him back" or even help you really figure HIM out, but we can support you are you sort thru this. it's GREAT you have a therapist - one on one support is just invaluable.

here's the thing about addicts.....even when they SEEM to be telling you the TRUTH, they are at most only revealing a small bit. so if they say they only spend $100 a week, it's likely much more. if they say they have only been using for 8 months, it's likely much more. if they tell you they "used" to have a drug problem, but do not now, they likely still have a problem with drugs.

the deeper one gets into drugs and addiction, they less they are able to keep up the "normal" parts. like relationships, family, jobs, social obligations. the drugs demand more and more = more time, more money, more devotion. he likely bailed because he was not ready to give up the lifestyle and give up the drugs. in his head, it probably made perfect sense.....TO HIM.

addicts don't do ALONE very well, so it's not surprising that he's glommed on to another warm body. maybe she does drugs too. using buddies.

bottom line is, of all the options he had, he chose to leave. and ti doesn't seem to be going well for him. he didn't do any of this TO you - not even the new female person. i doubt he's putting much thought at all into anything he's doing right now.

yes, some people can just walk away and not look back. they don't dwell or ruminate, they just move on.

i know none of that makes it all better, but i hope you take away that it had nothing to do with you or your value and worth.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

As bad as it sounds to say, this man did you a favor by leaving. He more than likely has a new 'friend' who is either using with him or has been so snow jobbed by him that she has no idea what she's getting in to. Trying to figure out addict behavior is a lesson in futility, because their behavior isn't based on sanity or reality, it's based on a distorted perception of reality. The drug or booze kind of acts as a filter, and a poor one. A funhouse mirror almost. And none of it is your fault. None. Do your best to take care of yourself right now. Best wishes to you.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I am so sorry you are going through this and hope you take very good care of yourself.

When addiction is in town, insanity rules and to try to make any kind of sense of it all is futile.

Take a good read around and maybe find some relief that this ended now and not after years of marriage and several children to take care of.

As Anvil said, none of this is your fault, you deserve so much better. Take the lesson and move on , a little wiser for the journey.

Hugs
Old 08-29-2017, 03:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi AW

I am very sorry for your situation.

I am not going to give you advice. I have my own fairly recent ugly story posted on this forum.

I do want to share with you that you are not alone in this struggle. There are many including myself who are dealing with this very confusing destructive problem right now.

Also the are many very caring & knowledgeable people on SR who can help you to gain clarity. Addiction as unfortunately you have come to understand is extremely destructive. It destroys everything in its path.

although you might not understand it right now, you will come to understand you are better off now (even if its extremely painful) than if you were still in a relationship with an active addict.

I wish you all the best.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
"O you must wear your rue with difference".

Hi. I have also recently joined this forum. After being in a long relationship with an addict, I am now trying to extricate myself from the relationship and it's difficult (he is making it difficult). So... this guy did you a huge favor by leaving you. If you want to know how it's so easy for him to leave you after four years, it's because he was cheating on you with drugs. He loves drugs. His new girlfriend is either 1) blind to his drug use (he's manipulated/lied to her) or 2) she is also using drugs and they have a "lifestyle". He is not with her because he is in love with her no matter what he thinks. He is with her because she's probably enabling him in some way. It probably helps him to feel a bit "normal". Forget this guy. Try to just forget him. Don't try to get him back. Don't look back. If he does reach out to you and want you back, STAY the heck away from him. I wish I had not given my AH so many second chances. It wasted years of my life. Years. Stay away. Heal yourself. Take care of yourself.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I guess my question is...will he ever reach back out to me?
I think the bigger question is why would you want this back…………

I saw him at a wedding and he has easily lost 20 lbs., raspy voice, bloodshot eyes and his parents told me they pay for all his bills now because "he has no money."
Old 08-29-2017, 10:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
I guess my question is...will he ever reach back out to me? Do cocaine addicts know that they abandon people to freely do cocaine? And why/how does he already have a gf?!
Welcome to the Board.

Will he reach out? I honestly don't know. A better question is why would you want him to? Whether it's addiction to cocaine or other drugs, being romantically entangled with an addict is no way to live life.

Just because you love someone doesn't mean they're good for you. And just because you love someone doesn't mean they should be in your life. I know, this is hard to accept...but once with sit with it and try it out, it make sense...
Old 09-14-2017, 11:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your responses. I truly did not think anyone would care to respond to a stranger. I will continue to educate myself. I am still having a very hard time trying to come to terms with what's happened. Thank you so much...
Old 09-14-2017, 11:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

(I will probably post this reply in the other category I posted in as well.)

I found out this girl is another user. A party girl. Why do I feel so shocked? My therapist told me even in the beginning of all of this. He said,"He will only be with someone who also does coke...if she doesn't do coke I will be shocked and it will surface pretty quickly with how far deep he is if she is a non-user." I kept saying,"He would NEVER date a girl who does cocaine!" I just couldn't imagine it. And here it is. Happening.

I feel like everything that has happened has almost been like reading a textbook about "Cocaine Addiction" it is just so hard for me to think of him this way. As much as it was in my face, for at least 3 years he was so playful, kind and never came off the mean or cocky person he has become. He was my best friend. My God, I ******* love that man.

I said to my therapist the other night,"I just hate that he is just happy and doing his coke and living his life, seeing other women and here I am trying to piece together my life and trying to understand how I was so easy to just get rid of?" and he said to me,"What makes you think he's happy? I don't think you understand the mind of someone in the throws of addiction. He is miserable."

But I am confused.

Doesn't cocaine make you feel very happy?

With his parents giving him money, paying his bills, and him making good money I'm not concerned he doesn't have the money to keep up his habit. (Am I being naive thinking this?) Will he ever process getting rid of me and our dog? (The dog was his best friend too...he was obsessed with him)

A few other questions for anyone willing to listen...

I have read other articles about cocaine addiction and a lot of responses from people said that it's an easy habit to get rid of? Is this true? Are there any former cocaine users that can confirm this? I have this fear he has sobered up and is happy, but my therapist says chances are slim when someone has enablers.

And since I had no idea he was addicted, there are random memories being triggered over the last year that were signs of his addiction. I noticed this year he watched a LOT of documentaries, movies, shows about cocaine. It got so bad that I said to him,"Don't you think watching this all of the time is a little triggering considering your past??" and he would just say no. Why would someone do this? My therapist says it's unusual, but that it goes with the complete obsession with this drug. Does this make sense?

Thank you all, SR friends.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

It is (rarely) easy to let go of a cocaine addiction, more often it gets worse over time, as do most addictions. Some use for many years, some die before they get clean.

For anyone to wait for the addict to change, especially anyone who thinks they can make an addict change through tears, begging, bribing, manipulation, anger or threats...life will continue to be dark and difficult, heartbreaking over time.

Have you thought of trying some meetings for yourself? Al-anon, Nar-anon, CoDA are three similar fellowships that have helped many of us here find our sanity and our balance again. Maybe give them a try and see if they don't help you too.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by arieswoman002 View Post
Hello, I am new here. 28 year old woman. I really need some advice or thoughts about my situation.

4 months ago my addict ex left me. Here's the thing - I had NO idea he was an addict! We were together for 4+ years. I was devastated. The past 4 months of therapy have uncovered that for the last 8 months of our relationship, he had a cocaine problem. While I was blaming myself, my therapist said he left me because he wanted to freely do cocaine.

There are 2 things I am trying very hard to understand. I am not an addict, have never even smoked weed, and have never had addiction in my family.

#1 - How can you leave someone after 4+ years with absolutely NO remorse?? The break up was weird. He never gave me a reason. He kept kissing my head and then couldn't get away from me fast enough. He said it was the hardest thing he has ever done in his life. I lived with him (have no family out here by the way...and he knows that) never told me where to go, what the next steps were, nothing. I kept the dog and it is a HUGE responsibility. I now have my own place, but it's in a terrible area...I just can't afford anything else right now. Will he ever feel bad or realize what he's done?

#2 - From what I hear he has spiraled completely. I saw him at a wedding and he has easily lost 20 lbs., raspy voice, bloodshot eyes and his parents told me they pay for all his bills now because "he has no money." (and he makes good money.) From what I read, He also now suddenly has some kind of girlfriend, and I'm devastated and confused. Everything I read says addicts aren't capable of having relationships...so why is he in one when he hasn't even acknowledged the one he threw away?

Please help me in trying to understand this. He is definitely addicted to cocaine badly and potentially pain killers (those used to be his drug of choice when he was addicted before I met him, but I don't know what the signs of this would look like.)

Just curious
Because my situation is ally like yours
Did he ever back?
Were u able to move on? Did it get any easier ?
Old 02-22-2018, 03:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Old 02-22-2018, 03:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I’m going through a similar situation. My wife is a heroine addict. Left me and my three year old. She lives at this guys house now and has told me she has kissed him and wants to have a realationship with him. They both are heroine addicts. Sad situation. So much has gone down hill in such a quick time. It’s hard to cope with but I’m realizing that I need to let go. I’m not expecting our marriage to get better. I’m getting a divorce. You don’t want a life of trying to get acceptance from an addict. They are irrational and aren’t capable of normal rational thoughts. Don’t expect anything from him. Move on. It’s going to be a process but grieve. Be upset. Then start to realize that you don’t want this life of wanting some kind of acknowledgement or acceptance from him. He’s not worth it. You have one life to live don’t waste it with stress and anxziety everyday. I think of my realationship with my wife as “dog vomit”. It may sounds gross but dogs eat there vomit. I correlate the dog being me and the vomit being my marriage. Do I really want to go back and eat that!?!?! No