Notices

The poor me

Old 08-26-2017, 12:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The poor me

Girlfriend just gone out to see a band in the local down the road, it sat night here in Ireland and I'm starting to feel jealous of them all heading out while I sit here at home, these are the hardest parts of recovery for me, wouldn't dream of going out drinking minerals,
Old 08-26-2017, 12:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

At least you're not in a hurricane! Seriously though, you're not missing other than same old, same old.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Maybe order a take away delivery and get comfy with an old favourite movie or comedy.

If my partner is going to be coming home drunk (like tonight) I try to be at least pretending to be asleep when he comes in. It saves some painful conversations.

BB
Old 08-26-2017, 01:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Maybe get busy and recover. Since I recovered I have been free to go to such events without any problems. I go for the entertainment and not the drinking.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Be happy you stay sober. I went on a festival last week and ended up binge drinking for 10 days despite having just done 5 months sober. I say poor me because i went and couldnt handle it. - and strong you for staying home, sober
Old 08-26-2017, 01:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I felt the same earlier on, so I went to the supermarket and bought myself something nice to eat and a bottle of aftershave with the money I saved. Then I stuck a movie on and munched.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
Maybe get busy and recover. Since I recovered I have been free to go to such events without any problems. I go for the entertainment and not the drinking.
Maybe not straight away though - it takes a little while to find our way in recovery. Hanging around a pub before those recovery tools have been aquired might not be the best thing for early days sobriety.

BB
Old 08-26-2017, 01:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Maybe not straight away though - it takes a little while to find our way in recovery. Hanging around a pub before those recovery tools have been aquired might not be the best thing for early days sobriety.

BB
That is my point BB. Recover first, and none of this will be a problem. Sitting at home not drinking is not recovering.
Old 08-26-2017, 02:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

PS4, Mike is right. Things won't stay like this for ever, as long as we stay sober and work on our recovery.

Do you have a recovery plan yet?

If not it it really is worth working on that. Dee's thread is a good place to start - the links on there should give you some ideas.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...y-plans-1.html

I always try to plan around the HALT triggers as well. Hungry. Angry. Lonely. Tired. These things are amazingly powerful and I've found neglecting them really makes sobriety uncomfortable.

Have you looked into meetings available in your area?

When self-pity kicks in, often we start trying to thing of ways to cheer ourselves up (more often than not unhealthy ways that have little lasting impact). Often helping others has a far more uplifting effect than anything we can do for ourselves. So, perhaps is Saturday nights are going to be a regular difficulty you could look into volunteer opportunities for those times. I know it sounds crazy, but it can actually feel pretty amazing, and often the people we end up helping have problems that really help us along with some gratitude for our own problems.

Anyway - hope things are going okay for you tonight. I know it does feel pretty rough at first while we're figuring out what 'Recovery' looks like for ourselves.

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery. BB
Old 08-26-2017, 02:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PlayStation4 View Post
Girlfriend just gone out to see a band in the local down the road, it sat night here in Ireland and I'm starting to feel jealous of them all heading out while I sit here at home, these are the hardest parts of recovery for me, wouldn't dream of going out drinking minerals,
im glad ya wouldnt dream of going out.
one person pity parties suck, especially when I have to bake the cake for it!!!
then when no one wants to attend.
howz about gettin off yer but and finding something for YOU to do? maybe its time to start looking into interests/hobbies?
Old 08-26-2017, 04:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey PS4

a lot of people new to recovery seem to think they only have two choices - going out to the bar or staying home alone.

There must be a million non alcohol related things to do on a Saturday night - even in Ireland ?

D
Old 08-26-2017, 04:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

As the others have said, it gets easier as we get some sober time behind us. I was resentful & felt sorry for myself in the early days - but gradually, being free of it began to feel wonderful. Be patient with yourself - you're doing a great thing.