Notices

Damn booze is expensive!

Old 08-25-2017, 01:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Damn booze is expensive!

So, with the weekend coming up, having a party at my home for the fight and some friends from out of town staying with me(they don't 'know' I'm an alchy),ect.. I went to the liquor store for the first time in I'd say 8 months? Anyways..same clerk/owner from my daily visits from the past,he thought I had moved or something,so I catch up with the "where you been?" type questions and told him I had stopped drinking.. His response;" I'm so happy for you, I go to AA myself and have been sober 14yrs! What brings you in?".. So, I explain.. he then starts ringing up the Higher end hard crap(s)...I'm just watching the freaking amount get higher and higher! I'll add.. when I was stopping there almost daily that I bought the cheap crap,so I'm not used to the $25-$50(US) price tag. My bottles were around $7.. Long story short...I just dumped $556.74 on booze and no longer drink! I'm accustomed to paying clients bar/food tabs and most, if not all of them are coming to my fight party. I'm sure this will ALL be gone by tomorrow night. My friends can by their booze the rest of their stay if they choose to drink after the fight. I'm not spending anymore money all weekend! Also 110% not drinking. Already told my friends that I have to go to a work meeting for an hour or so tomorrow morning(AA) and That I have "church" Sunday morning(AA). They were kinda taken back that I was going to 'church' because they've known me for 20+yrs and I'm not really the church type person. Thanks for letting me rant since I can't get to a meeting today and have a trunk full of crap that I don't even want!

TLDR; Booze is stupid and expensive!
Old 08-25-2017, 01:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was just thinking the same thing! I have a sobriety app that tracks my progress - I've been sober for 39 days and have saved 591 dollars!
Amazing, huh?
Old 08-25-2017, 02:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Amen
Old 08-25-2017, 02:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flinders39 View Post
I was just thinking the same thing! I have a sobriety app that tracks my progress - I've been sober for 39 days and have saved 591 dollars!
Amazing, huh?
I'm at 9 months minus a one night 'slip' over two months ago and I see why they told me at my 2nd or 3rd AA meeting(court ordered.. at first) to not make any large purchases in the first year. Funny story about the savings; I was riding with one of my partners to lunch the other day and had zero cash on me,so we stopped by the drive through ATM. I just handed him my card and told him my pin(done it many times over the years),he handed me the cash and receipt. Not even thinking I just waded up the receipt and tossed it in his door. The very next day he stops by my place and 'confronts me'(he's been a HUGE part of my recovery in all aspects!). "Are you gambling again?" is the first words out of his mouth.. I was kinda taken back and told him,with a confused look on my face; "no, I'm not,why do you ask?"(when I drink, I gamble a lot).. He pulls my bank receipt out of his pocket,was cleaning out his car the night before and noticed my account balance. I told him that's what not going out and 'partying' for 9 months has done to me. He was shocked to actually see it! At the start of my recovery he sat with me and we wrote out how much I was spending per month on my 'vices' and it was over $2k(US) every month,sometimes more,so we called it an "easy $30,000 yearly" I was running through. "I've just been letting it grow instead of go", I told him. I did have to pay for lunch that day though. Let me say..It's a very good feeling when people close to you start noticing your positive change(s) during recovery especially when you start noticing them.

Congrats on your 39 days and new found wealth!
Old 08-25-2017, 03:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great story, DontRemember! Love it.
The counter app on my phone says I've saved now almost $1,000 already. And I"m still kind of a newbie.

Crazy what I spent willingly damaging myself. Look at all there is to gain, in so many ways.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I reckon to have saved about £5,000 since 2014. That is maybe $6,000 the £ is not doing well right now lol!
Old 08-25-2017, 03:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'll add too that being single hasn't hurt the savings! My partner is married with 4 young kids so, his monthly expenses are already a lot more than mine. So I don't mind picking up an extra lunch here and there now. When before sometimes I just couldn't because I had already pissed away my cash on something I did while drunk/drinking and he would pay for me. I actually just remembered I owe him about $200 from a year or so ago.. I'll give that to him tomorrow night.