Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Which part of the Just For Today prayer do you find challenging?

Notices

Old 08-25-2017, 07:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I've been using the Just For Today prayer a lot and it's helping to straighten out my mind and keep me sober. This is the part I find most challenging:

"I will criticise not one bit, not find fault with anything and not try to improve or regulate anybody except myself."

My natural inclination is to be judgemental and critical and a bit controlling. They are traits I share with my mother a bit. I'm praying hard to change that aspect of my life but it's not always easy.

Of course, it's a whole lot easier if I'm sober. When I'm drunk or craving a drink even the desire to avoid being critical is not there.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
under new management

I remind myself that "I am not the boss of the world" when I catch myself silently judging someone.

It gets my head out of my a** in the moment. It allows me to give my head a shake and let the judgement roll away.

Being judgemental is a big struggle for me and I don't always catch myself but when I do recognise it in the moment and call out the thought, it feels like a relief to let it go.

Old 08-25-2017, 04:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It all is a struggle on many levels for me both to myself and others.
Old 08-25-2017, 04:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Interesting.. I can be pretty judge mental at times and I guess that's one of the reasons I started drinking like I did. Nobody or nothing seemed to be 'good enough' for me when I was drinking. I'd be drunk and gambling,win $4000+ and think "pshhhh..that's not enough"(just like I did with drinking/drugs) and then lose it all plus more back in a few hours. I need to try this for the rest of my day/life. Thanks!