Moving beyond the guilt

Old 08-24-2017, 07:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Moving beyond the guilt

A week or so ago I posted about the immense sense of guilt I have been feeling. A quick recap... I was with my AXH about 10+years. We have been separated about two years, divorce finalized about 9 months ago. Lot's of treatments, detox and hospital visits during this time.

I was doing well, until a few weeks ago when this overwhelming sense of guilt just took me over. I was really struggling. I wanted to share how I have started coming out of it. I did some googling about guilt and I came across a suggestion write every guilty feeling I have down. I did just that. Once I did that, the exercise is to go back and write down what I was maybe thinking at the time or why I did what I did.

This exercise has really helped me remember that yes, it was that bad. That perhaps the decisions I made 5 years into the addiction were because of the experiences of living with an alcoholic for so many years. The last day with him was connected to the first day and all the crappy days in between.

I took what I had written and shared it with a close friend. It really was a good way to help me start moving past the guilt.

I'm not sure if this will help others, but I thought I would share.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you Coco. I was just posting a little about my own guilt and shame issues. Its hard to overcome and can sneak back in when I think its gone. I will try this.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post Coco,

Writing and blogging feelings helps a lot. It sound like you had a really tough journey and found it difficult to let go. "It is!" You have made the tough calls and you have a new journey and life ahead - well done!

Stay strong, keep writing and take care
Old 08-26-2017, 08:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Coco
This past week I've been crippled with grief.it's the first time I've looked at my own behavior and it's thanks to this site I believe I'm finally getting better instead of blaming my ah for everything.I'm still all over the place but reading your post and how strong you seem to be I can only hope that will be me someday.