Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

People try to put us d-down (talking 'bout my generation) Bank Holiday Weekender 26-28th Aug

Notices

People try to put us d-down (talking 'bout my generation) Bank Holiday Weekender 26-28th Aug

Old 08-24-2017, 02:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Every weekend here in the UK many young people go out and consume high levels of booze and other drugs. This weekend in England and Wales they get an extra day to do it as it is the Summer Bank Holiday (one of the planet's more ironically named public holidays)

From time to time we see news items that are simultaneously judgemental and salacious, young men brawling in the street, young women tottering around on heels.

This is Britain, differences in minimum age, population density etc might mean things are different elsewhere but I feel sure that your country has its youthful drinking scenarios.

Recently it does appear that this activity has at least levelled out with some indications it might have even fallen by a modest amount. On the other hand what has also begun to seep into public consciousness is the increase in the level of alcohol consumption by the middle aged and baby boomers. All the metrics indicate that we are caning it and ignoring the medical advice. Members and readers of SR would be honourable exceptions to this.

As one of those damaged oldies I really want to admonish those youngsters and threaten them of the dire consequences of the party lifestyle. The only problem with that is that I was young once and would have mocked some Old Testament style grandad with his doom laden warnings.

As a young adult partying, meeting your friends, meeting girls, in my case, and the accompanying drinking, smoking marijuana (think Bob Marley) all seemed very grown up and cool at least to me and my peer group.

For its own sake my generation needs to be more open and acknowledge its failings - by and large I don't think it is at the moment. As far as helping younger generations to make better choices I really think we need to be a lot more savvy* This is where things get tricky because as usual I don't have the answers but it would be something if people thought a little harder and reacted a little less.

We can make a start by setting an example and staying sober this weekend, what do yo reckon?

*It just occurred to me, is "savvy" a London word? I don't want biminiblue on my case. Anyway it means smart or clever.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

shotgun?

Thanks' Sao, interesting stuff.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations Lunar!

I can't not post now this can I?

Old 08-24-2017, 02:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for another new thread, Sao.......I wasted way too many weekends from partying over the years & nursing hangovers. Time for me to be productive! Count me in!
Old 08-24-2017, 03:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yep - and the best example is showing them how to enjoy sobriety. I know I just couldn't imagine how people started to live and have fun without booze. I surrounded myself with people who were like-minded and immersed myself in a culture that normalised my drinking.

When I came out of it I was completely lost. I didn't know what to do with myself. And it didnt help that every sober minute felt like about 15.

This weekend I resolve to support some of the young newcomers I've met through the Bank Holiday shenanigans by offering them ideas and support through ESH and one to one contact.

BB
Old 08-24-2017, 03:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, weekenders!

Thank you for the opening, Sao!

Congrats on shotgun, Lunar.

I am enjoying regained convenience of having a fridge. And the next paycheck already arrived. I feel so relaxed that it is scary!

I feel like a soldier in trenches who suddenly gets luxury of a quiet moment but waits for hell to break loose any moment again.

It's ok, though. I am learning to channel anxiety into productive direction.

Have a good one, all)
Old 08-24-2017, 04:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Great post Sao, as a father myself, you've given me something to ponder. I do worry sometimes about my adult children. I can give them advice but I can't stand in their way. I had been planning on speaking about my sobriety at our next kitchen table family discussions. (This happens spontaneously and often weeks in between. I missed that last one as I was out of town). They already know that I don't drink anymore but it might be good for them to know how I got here.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a good weekend Sao

Old 08-24-2017, 04:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good intro, Sao!

I'm in.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm in!

And, we do use "savvy" here, so you should be in the clear!
Old 08-24-2017, 05:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

In for the weekend

Your spot on Sao

Glad to be privy to the thread

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Received_Pronunciation
Old 08-24-2017, 08:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
saoutchik

That is great that you are helping some newcomers Berrybean good work! It must be rewarding too.

Great link Hawkeye! I am definitely not in the Received Pronunciation group (and I don't think I know anyone personally who is) I speak what is known as Estuary English which is not held in particularly high regard - think David Beckham or the late Amy Winehouse (which is the only way I am ever going to be compared to those two)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estuary_English

I have finished work for the day, still have the annoying manflu which I am bearing with ill grace.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I am in! Thanks for the starter Sao, and congrats on shotgun lunar!

On a hopeful note, in our local news today there's a story on the increase of alcohol use disorder (I still guffaw at the fact that they'll do anything to not bring the word alcoholism into the mix).

However, I do realize that there is such a thing and I'm glad to see it recognized. I don't think we'll see it in our lifetime but can you ever imagine a day where the use of alcohol is looked upon as the use of tobacco is now? When I was younger no one gave smokers a second look. You could smoke in the grocery store, on public transportation, at the stores in the mall, pretty much anywhere. Try walking down a city street with a cigarette in hand now. People will walk by covering their mouths and start cough choking as they walk by. Some will even verbalize their feelings. Even though I've quit I won't ever become one of those people.

But.............can you imagine if the same attitude was adopted towards alcohol???
Old 08-24-2017, 10:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Savvy is a word we use, Sao.

In. Thanks for the earworm.

Hope the manflu is out soon.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
saoutchik

That's good to hear bim. It is past my usual bedtime here, I am tired but not sleepy. Mostly what I am is bunged up. I have said to the boss that tomorrow is 50/50 and I think that subconsciously I have already decided to take tomorrow off.

I will try to read a book and if that hasn't worked by 1am there will be nothing for but to go online and either join an argument or start one. As a salesman I find it good for honing one's skills.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I like the idea of setting a good example.....I don't have kids of my own, but I have nieces and nephews. I had become the aunt who was drunk every time they saw me.....NOT cool!

This is WAY better!
Old 08-24-2017, 10:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The Who in their prime were the most exciting live act in the history of rock.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Just popping in to say hi xxx
Old 08-25-2017, 01:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders Outonthetiles! I concur with you're assessment of the Who, I have seen them live but it was a couple of years after Keith Moon's death.

I have not been up very long, it is 9.30am here and I phoned in sick which was expected. The ache feeling and stingy eyes sensation has gone bit I have a bit of a cough. Overall though I feel better but sound worse.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:46 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I hope everyone is prepped for friday,
If your habit is to swing by the alcohol store in the afternoon on the way home from work, change your habit.

go shopping at lunchtime or yesterday when the "friday feeling" is not upon you.
i found early sobriety the pits, tv dinners, lots of fizzy water, sitting in bed, watching the telly and listening to the radio was required.

getting through was the important bit , it didn't have to be pretty , that would come with time .

keep it steady , m