Notices

Horrible anxiety 😫

Old 08-20-2017, 02:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Horrible anxiety 😫

I am new here and need support in the worst way! I have the worst anxiety at times and I drink because of it. I'm pretty healthy, I work out, and eat good. Sometimes my anxiety level gets so high, I literally feel like I'm going to jump out of my skin. I know life has its stresses, and mine can get stressful, but sometimes it's too much. I have medication for it but it doesn't work at all. I don't like seeing a shrink either. I'm sure that anxiety and alcohol problems go together. Has anyone else had experiences with this and what helped? Any advice please! Thank you
Old 08-20-2017, 02:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have you told you doctor your medication is not helping? Maybe you need a bigger dose or a different type of drug.

Alcohol will worsen anxiety so that's not the answer.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Double posted
Old 08-20-2017, 02:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have an identified anxiety thing, plus depression (clinical), c-PTSD and stuff.

ALCOHOL MAKES ALL THE BAD FEELINGS WORSE!

You NEED to stop drinking- otherwise any medication will not, cannot work. Please get help= a counsellor, detox, meetings. Mixing meds with alcohol is a waste of time. Be honest with yourself and with your doctor. Please do something about it.
Support to you.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi. Drinking will eventually make the anxiety much, much worse. Mixing alcohol and anti anxiety meds can be deadly.
It took me a long time to find a psych I liked. Interview them. You are paying them after all.
Try different therapies. Art, guided meditation, exercise.
It will get better.
GL,
Jules
Old 08-20-2017, 03:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I don't know what others feel....Ime...

It took over a year or more clean to begin to feel normal.

Normal, for me, was getting used to consistent blood pressure and then variations throughout the day and nights.

Over time I could tolerate variations better.

For example, at 6 months clean if my wife yelled at me... sometimes I would get light headed. Like the fainting goats on YouTube.

Now she can yell all day....no weakness here.

I used to get jumpy from coffee....feel paranoid....

Not any more.

The key is time. At least a year to stabilize.

Thanks.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you are on benzos then be VERY careful mixing booze because that's dangerous!
Old 08-20-2017, 03:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR flkeys. Anxiety is very common with alcoholism, and many of us tried to self medicate with it too. It actually makes it worse eventually and also interferes with anti anxiety meds. Therefore you can't really assess whether or not you need additional help until you stop drinking for an extended period.

I found "shrinks" to be quite helpful in the form of counseling at least. Just quitting alcohol was not a solution to my anxiety.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you

I don't take meds while drinking. I don't even drink everyday, maybe twice a week. However I don't know when to stop. I'm doing well. I haven't had anything in a week, but it's challenging. I think just getting busy with something helps. Plus, each day gets me further into a better day mentally when I don't have a drink. So thank you for all your advice and support.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome . Like many on here anxiety is troublesome . Were all different and what works for one wont for another . I used alcohol to feel less anxious but it made me worse in the long run and the vicious cycle set in .
D122Y tell us to "give it time" I agree .
If you feel your reaching for alcohol to stop anxiety symptoms you should talk to your doctor .
Read around and you will see how common anxiety is with alcoholism .
Good luck