Notices

Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow

Old 08-20-2017, 07:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow

Hi all.

I joined Class of July 2017. It had such a wonderful group of people, but we lost so many contributors so soon, including myself (I became a daily lurker). I believe it's because of the difference in "days" that we have.

I watched a few people struggle and slip, and tried to help them up. But as some people clocked up over a month, it became obvious that the difference in situations was only increasing. I had a few drinks after about 20 dry days, but no longer knew where I "fit in". I really wanted to find a place where experienced people could help beginners, but we would all be together and on the same level. So, after a lot of thought, I wanted to offer this idea: Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow.

It's only a three day window. So everybody is in the same time space, regardless of how long ago our last drink was. These three days are the most important days, I believe.

Yesterday: Did you drink yesterday? If not, tell us how you got through it. What helped you? If you did drink, please share what triggered you, so that it might help someone else avoid it.

Today: Let's make a promise together not to drink today. How's it going so far? How do you feel?

Tomorrow: What's your plan? Tell us something positive you plan to do (big or small) to continue in a positive direction.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yesterday: Yes, I did drink. It was a very stressful day, and a had a few beers after everything was sorted out. I thought something really bad had happened to someone I knew. Turns out it wasn't so bad after all. Luckily didn't drink too much, but I'd rather it stayed at zero.

Today: No excuse for drinking today. I think I told myself it was okay because it was still the weekend. Did a mammoth amount of house cleaning to try to remove the guilt.

Tomorrow: Back on the wagon again. There will be no alcohol in the house, and I'm not going to go near any shops. I'm going to put all my energy into my family having a fantastic day. I'm going to make sure I get some exercise and some sunlight in the morning as soon as I get a few minutes free.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Mindful practice.... a good CBT strategy.
Yesterday- I signed final divorce papers
Today I reminded my self how hard I have worked in sobriety and not to throw it away. Eat, rest, hydrate- have a quiet day.
Tomorrow- I set up a lunchtime meeting and walk myself in to being able to sleep.
Support to you, RAD.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ah, what a lovely idea! Something about this really resonates. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

Yesterday: yes I drank. I'm not proud of it. I had a great day, hit the gym, cleaned the house and then... rewarded myself with a glass of wine. Even when I uncorked, I kept saying in my head that Hey, you, you dont wanna do this! But I did it anyway. Feel awful about it.

Today: Feel guilt and shame. No drinks today and not feeling any need to drink either - found myself reading these forums AGAIN and decided to register. I'm happy I did. I feel somehow better.

Tomorrow: Back in business. No alcohol in the house and busy day ahead. Will try to hit he gym before work - it always makes me feel better. Maybe tomorrow Im over this guilt trip and can figure out ways of rewarding my active gym habit with something else than wine. I mean, it's a lil counterproductive.... Any tips on how to stay away from the party/happy/reward drink?
Old 08-20-2017, 08:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good idea Rubaduck...thank you 💜

Yesterday: No I didn't drink. I had a wonderfully relaxing reflexology session and did some yoga in the afternoon. Decided to incorporate a lot more raw fruit and veg in my diet and found some smoothie recipes to try this week and a raw vegan nori wrap that I'm going to take to work tomorrow for lunch!!!!

Today: No I won't be drinking today. Went out for an hour's run this morning (well more like jog walk jog walk...okay you get the picture). Have done some loads of laundry and have a nice meal planned at home with my husband when he gets in from work.

Tomorrow: No I will not be drinking. I will be at work...have a lot on right now. Need to remember to make time to drink plenty of water in the office...it's all I drink at home but at work I get so wrapped up in getting things done that I forget to even drink water!!!! I will probably end up having to stay a little late at work because I have reports due Friday.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi rubaduck

I joined Class of July 2017. It had such a wonderful group of people, but we lost so many contributors so soon, including myself (I became a daily lurker). I believe it's because of the difference in "days" that we have.

I watched a few people struggle and slip, and tried to help them up. But as some people clocked up over a month, it became obvious that the difference in situations was only increasing. I had a few drinks after about 20 dry days, but no longer knew where I "fit in". I really wanted to find a place where experienced people could help beginners, but we would all be together and on the same level.
Every monthly thread will always have a spread of sober days - but that works out, like you said with more experienced people helping out newer members.

Please don't think that counting days is some kind of competition, or some kind of hierarchy cos it's not.

I am no better than you and you are no better than me

Your AV will seek to thin you out from the herd by persuading you it's really embarrassing and shameful to have drunk again, but in reality all of us have been in the same boat sometime.

We all understand.

There's also an Under One Year thread where you'll get people with a good deal of experience to talk with and give you help and perhaps a little guidance

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-59-a-8.html

D

Last edited by Dee74; 08-20-2017 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

yesterday sober
today sober left work early to change the habit
tomorrow leave work early to remain sober
Old 08-20-2017, 06:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Dee, thank you for the feedback.

I understand that this isn't a competition. But I found that what really helped me when I first joined was people who were in a very similar position to myself. I think celebrating milestones is wonderful, but I had a feeling that many members of our class felt that they were being "left behind".

All the posters were very friendly, but our situations felt a bit different between people who were having slip-ups and those who weren't. So I thought if there was a place where everyone is in the same situation it might help people who have struggled with guilt etc.

I'm going to reflect on yesterday, do my best today, and have a plan for tomorrow.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Do you take my point tho it could be your addiction thats making you uncomfortable and seeking to isolate you?

I do understand the Class system might not suit everyone but I do think it's better than the 30 days 60 days and 90 days threads we used to have where the problem you're describing was pretty common.

I think the current system is preferable simply because there are no where to post rules - you can post wherever you find support

D
Old 08-20-2017, 06:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yesterday, sober and productive.
Today, spent lots of time in the wood shop -- it's a hobby, and also a sideline of sorts.
Tomorrow, back to work. Big bi-monthly deadline coming up at the end of the week; it will be the fourth one I've been through sober.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I like this, kind of a quick journal

yesterday: i didnt drink, i watch my friends getting wasted, at a friends house, and I was more interested at how much can we change from one hour to the next, to the next until we start bumping into walls and babbling words that nobody can understand.
today: no drink, i cooked, more like putting together a fresh salad, cooking is my wine time, so chopping fresh veggies kept my hands busy and my mouth munching on them.
tomorrow: i wont drink, i will cook another fresh dinner and maybe a fruit salad to satisfy the sugar my body is craving from wine.
GOT looks so different when you are sober btw lol
Old 08-20-2017, 09:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Struggling a bit today, not feeling very well. I'd planned to have a nap if I had any cravings, but have discovered that the wife is washing all the bed sheets. Oh well. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

I feel like an empty shell, quite depressed. Perhaps I'll try to watch a movie.

Anyone got any good ideas for cheering themselves up? I wish I liked ice cream or something but sadly I don't have any comfort foods that I particularly enjoy.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

80's music and a cold shower

Originally Posted by Rubaduck View Post
Struggling a bit today, not feeling very well. I'd planned to have a nap if I had any cravings, but have discovered that the wife is washing all the bed sheets. Oh well. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

I feel like an empty shell, quite depressed. Perhaps I'll try to watch a movie.

Anyone got any good ideas for cheering themselves up? I wish I liked ice cream or something but sadly I don't have any comfort foods that I particularly enjoy.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Shower, run/walk, bake something, craft something, write a letter, call a friend =)

Originally Posted by jacintadturtle View Post
80's music and a cold shower
Old 08-21-2017, 01:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Do you take my point tho it could be your addiction thats making you uncomfortable and seeking to isolate you?
D
Hi Dee. I'm sure that it's not helping matters.

I think what I'm experiencing is something that I used to see a lot when I was doing martial arts. When it was time to choose a partner, the first-timers would almost always pair up among themselves. There was so much experience in the room but they naturally gravitate toward each other. Similar belt levels would usually team up as well.

I wanted to see if I could create a place where the focus was on getting through one day at a time. I thought it would really get me through my journey little by little. The weeks and months would then come naturally.

I also really hoped to help people who are having trouble with restarts come back to posting. We can wipe the slate clean by not drinking today. Then the next day we can say that we didn't drink yesterday, and aren't drinking today.

Still not drinking so far today. Confident I can make it through. Tomorrow if I feel better I'm going to make some really big salad sandwiches.

Thank you for the suggestions (80's music, shower etc). I'm going to have a cold shower now and then listen to my heavy music playlist (mostly 80s metal, 90s grunge).

Good luck and positive energy to everyone joining me today!