Notices

Another new guy

Old 08-19-2017, 06:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another new guy

Been drinking since 2010. The last couple years have been an 18 - pack a day with a small bottle of vodka (I just turned 40). This is my 3rd day sober....as I sit here I shake like a leaf and bullets of sweat are coursing from my body. I have prescribed Valium and Hydrocortisone for the anxiety and DT's. I am going through violent mood swings of wanting to cry, anger to super-hyper moods. Anyhow, I been eating healthy liver foods, ultrasound showed my liver is severely damaged and on a o.k.diet (I destroyed my stomach with ulcers and gastritis) as well as pounding water. I never ever made it this long, but I feel so sick and tired like I have the flu. Right now it's NOT ONE DAY AT A TIME....it's 1 MINUTE AT A TIME for me. I just needed to get this off my chest bc everyone around me are too caught up or overwhelmed in their own lives. O.k. that's it. Thanks for allowing me to share.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Raverconvict - it's so good to have you here.

Everything you describe is normal for the withdrawal period. I'm glad you sought medical advice - it can be dangerous to stop abruptly. No one understands like your fellow alkies - so feel free to post as much as you want. It helps with the anxiety. We all understand what you're going through. It will lead to a better life - and you can do this.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

It sounds like you're doing well and Day 3 is great! It's good you've talked to your dr and you will find lots of support here. It's hard, but you can do it.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard raverconvict
This is a place of great support - I'm glad you found us,
D
Old 08-19-2017, 06:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA Member

couldnt find a 1 minute chip

hope this helps

God bless

Old 08-19-2017, 10:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Lots of us have been there. Valium helped me tremendously to mitigate some of the withdrawal, but it was still pretty rough. Glad you consulted a doctor!

The primary withdrawals can abate relatively quickly, although when minutes seem like days, it might not seem that way.

Hang in there!
Old 08-19-2017, 10:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mr

I just turned 41. On 10 days today.
Feeling better and face is less of a purple explosion.
Sleeping again without sweating...

Its all worth it.

Welcome.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome. Detox is carp. I could not get to one- no money and my phone credit cut out making the necessary call. It is well worth staying the course. You know what has been done to you, physically- any return to that can only lead to one place. I have been to that place- and you do not want to go there.
Professional support is very necessary for me- long term. Not only physical but for all the crap in my head. Also on the ground support in the way of meetings. They help. I would rather not go- but I would also rather not be an alcoholic- so I go because I must. Support to you.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, that all certainly sucks and knowing the pain I don't envy you. The good news is you'll get through it and don't have to go through it again.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Raverc!

I am 44 and have been drinking in excess since about 2002 (with a few stretches of sobriety in between, mostly in the past two years or so).

Logging on to SR daily has kept me sober for just over 6 weeks now. In that short time I have seen a lot of improvement - health and otherwise. By persevering on this route we are more often than not able to reclaim some of the damage that has been done to our bodies.

What you are going through now is normal and so worth it, trust me! For me the 1st week was the most difficult, and it got a lot easier since then. One hour or minute at a time is fine, I did it myself before.

Please stick around. There is a lot of support here!
Old 08-20-2017, 10:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Day#4

Thanks for all the support. Really appreciate it! Now, day 4 and every bone in my body aches, my skin hurts, feels like I have a fever and all my muscles want to cramp up. I've been pounding water and Gatorade. Is this normal to feel like you have the flu? the aches and stuff?
Old 08-21-2017, 02:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I had those same symptoms, Raver. I think it's very common. Congrats on your Day 4. Things will improve, for sure.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Raverconvict View Post
Thanks for all the support. Really appreciate it! Now, day 4 and every bone in my body aches, my skin hurts, feels like I have a fever and all my muscles want to cramp up. I've been pounding water and Gatorade. Is this normal to feel like you have the flu? the aches and stuff?
Great job Raver, as others have expressed. Everyone's withdrawal can be different. As long and as heavily as you've been drinking, it's not surprising you're having a rough go of it. I was drinking about 12 drinks a day from around 8 a.m. to 8 in the evening when I went into a medically supervised detox. I was out in about 5 days.

You should feel much better starting tomorrow. Mood swings are going to be tough. Your brain is rewiring itself. It's going to hard at times -- I've relapsed and am making a go at Rehab. But you are doing the right thing. Keep on the path you're on, or you'll be dead by 50.

But you're actually doing great man. We're al pulling for you!!
Old 08-21-2017, 03:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Raver, you are going through the worst of it. It will only get better. I know you are drinking water and gatorade...are you eating? Anything? I got cramps when I didn't eat and only drank water. Hang tough man, you only have to do this once.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Feel better...day 5 felt like a turn around for me. Hopefully you too. I feel like I spent the first week walking my dog, drinking water, trying to eat and otherwise lived in the shower.
You're doing great.
Jules