Notices

Tales of the Crypt Seeker

Old 08-19-2017, 05:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tales of the Crypt Seeker

My lawyer didn't show up to court to represent me yesterday. He forgot to come and was at his cottage. Whatever, I had it adjourned until next Monday.

Anyway, I'm getting really bored with AA. It held some novelty with me initially, but I'm so friggin bored now. I showed up early to the meeting yesterday, so I decided to explore the church. Found the rope for the bell, but couldn't get it going. Took photos. Found a door that says, "CRYPT: Do not to enter". I really wanted to see what was in the crypt. I went home and discovered trespassing is just a fine. Have to see what's in the crypt. I can't not do it. I've already decided I'm going to explore the crypt next time. It's the church's fault for making the door so mysterious and enticing. The crypt awaits. This church is from the 1800s, so I bet there are coffins and treasures down there. :|
Old 08-19-2017, 05:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for the awesome replies on my last post. I'm not sure how much longer I can continue to go to this thing though. I don't know what I'm even supposed to be doing there. At least this forum and r/stopdrinking has actual feedback and a point.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you stick with AA - it's probably not the funnest thing in the world but thats not the point, is it? - it might just help you turn your life around.

As for the crypt. I'd keep out.

As a boy I did that at our local cemetery. Just looking, no vandalism or anything.

I look back now and think how disrespectful that was.

D
Old 08-19-2017, 05:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wait-why is it disrespectful? At least if you have a coffin, people know you existed. I think most of the time you just get burned up and cast to the wind now.

What do they keep in a crypt? I just want to go see...I broke into the university where my college is during winter break a few years back with some friends and there were all kinds of cool and interesting things in the tunnel system under the campus. We didn't break or take anything except photographs.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Dee. I hope you stay away from the crypt.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It sounds like you're accumulating some sober time, Vulturine. That's really great. You can create a new life in recovery, one that will be rewarding for you.

I understand how some things can capture our curiosity; I can be intrigued by things, too.

But while I think an adventurous spirit and a curious mind is a good thing, I'd like you to think of it from a different perspective as your post touched a nerve.

Tomorrow, I'll join my brother and his family as we bury my dear mother's ashes. She died last November. Her ashes will join our fathers. It is a sacred place for us, intimate in a way.

The church posted that sign because the final resting place of people is to be accorded respect. Those who loved them, or the descendants, have reasonable expectation that this place is inviolate.

Please exercise your curious mind in a way that doesn't intrude upon others. There are many ways to do so.

(And you're a little too old and far too smart to say "It's the church's fault ... ." You're a grown-up.)

Have fun finding other options.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vulturine View Post
I don't know what I'm even supposed to be doing there..
if that is in reference to AA, that depends on IF you want to recover or not.
If you want to recovery, then its said at just about every meeting when "how it works" is read:
"if you have decided you want what we have and are willing to go to any lengths to get it, then you are ready to take certain steps......"

"here are the steps we took which are suggested as a program of recovery."

going to meetings and not drinking dont treat alcoholism
do you want to recovery?
would you like someone snooping through your house?
i hope you decide to look at how your snooping around the church can effect others. it could very well get the meeting booted out.respect other peoples' property

i hope you seek out other help and support outside of AA,too.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

if you want to know whats in a crypt, google it.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It might be more than just a fine to explore the crypt if you're on probation. I would prob resist the temptation and go to a different meeting if I were you. Not worth it to get caught and get in more trouble. I like to explore old cemeteries and such, legally, nothing wrong with that. I find them beautiful, sad, peaceful, intriguing. Best wishes to you, vulturine!
Old 08-19-2017, 06:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The crypt could also be unsafe- thus the sign.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
if you want to know whats in a crypt, google it.
That's the problem. Google crypt images look really spooky and cool. I explored an abandoned factory with some other friends a few years back and again, quite rewarding. Couldn't get to the abandoned coal plant though because there is police surveillance there.

I'm sorry guys. I'm not going to die happy unless I see the crypt. If all goes well, no one will know I was even there and I can go to the meeting as planned. The only way this could backfire was if someone else is down there doing something illegal. Like, if there are severed heads down there or something, obviously I have to tell someone. I won't know unless I go down there.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Think back over all the times your lack of self control has gotten you into trouble, V.

It's not a coincidence - y'know?

D
Old 08-19-2017, 06:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Think back over all the times your lack of self control has gotten you into trouble, V.

It's not a coincidence - y'know?

D
I knoooooow! That's why I went home and read up on how bad of an offense trespassing in Ontario is and what constitutes criminal trespass. It's basically the same level of offense as public intoxication, of which I already have two. That is, unless you trespass upon property that's a residence, in which case there are more serious consequences.

I think it would only be disrespectful if I wore a cannibal corpse:tomb of the mutilated shirt or something and took selfies. I do not plan to do that. I just need to know. I have been respectful of the people and the space so far. Have omitted wearing band t-shirts to meetings at least.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vulturine View Post
I'm sorry guys. I'm not going to die happy unless I see the crypt. .
BS
you havent been happy. then you know whats in there then be unhappy again.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well, I can't teach you respect.
My excuse was I was 12...

I'm sorry you're so determined.

D
Old 08-19-2017, 06:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

would you like people snooping through your house without you knowing?
Old 08-19-2017, 07:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

If there are people buried there, you ARE trespassing on a residence, in essence.

C'mon, this is such a goth cliche. You know you are more of an original than that.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

What do you people do for fun, Scrabble? I like urban exploring and visiting supposedly haunted places. I don't really believe in ghosts, but I've experienced some pretty bizarre feelings. There was this abandoned house in Hamilton that freaked me out. Bad vibes, too quiet, hairs standing on end, a weird bell noise that seemed to be moving around. So worth the trip. I almost fell off the side of that cliff that was in Silent Hill that same day.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

why is it you think the societal rules don't apply to you? AA is not a side show, and the church is not an amusement park.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sounds like a lot of drama to me. And if you're already on probation, the repercussions of trespassing could be worse.

Curiosity killed the cat, comes to mind...