Notices

nice people

Old 08-19-2017, 04:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

nice people

Been meeting a lot of nice people at the gym. Maybe it's because of the coming eclipse but it's nice no matter what. Really happy where I'm living now. Much better than living in the city. I think living in a city creates a lot of stress on people, so they become unfriendly and impersonal. At least where I'm living now, people say hi and will actually strike up a conversation even if they don't know you. Haven't seen this in a long time. Pretty relaxing place to live. I'm a pretty lucky guy. John
Old 08-19-2017, 04:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's fantastic, John.

So very happy for you.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

That's great to hear, John. City life is exciting, but as you said - stressful. I'm in the country now too - it suits me better at this point in my life. Nice to know you are content there.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Who knows, maybe I'll make some friends. What scares me is that I have done some stupid and occasionally dangerous things to try to fit in. I'm fine with my own company but maybe I'm more lonely then I realize. Maybe being accepted and being part of something is more important to me than I know.
Anyway, I appreciate the occasional conversations I have with people. Helps to make me feel I am somebody that has worth. Pretty cool really. Can't complain. John
Old 08-19-2017, 05:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just be John; you'll be fine!!!!
Old 08-19-2017, 05:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Just be John; you'll be fine!!!!
Your advise makes sense. Unfortunately just being me just doesn't work out well. Don't know why. Once people get to know me, they just fade away. Never could figure it out. I'm a pretty nice and caring person. I guess I just don't fit in with others' agendas. At my age, it really doesn't matter much anymore. I just appreciate whatever comes along and feel good and appreciate what I have. Many people are in worse situations than me, so I have nothing to complain about. Having friends might be in my future, but I am so much better than many people. Except for the social aspect, I have everything I need. John
Old 08-19-2017, 05:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you're happy. How's the dog search coming? There's a lot of happiness to be found in loving a dog.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're happy living where you are. I also thought you were considering looking for a dog. It could be just what you need.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you have a good weekend John

D
Old 08-19-2017, 07:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know having a dog would be a big help. I know this is a cop out, but I'm really bad at commitments of any kind. The responsibility scares me for some reason. I'm afraid I wouldn't give him the attention he needs. Maybe it's a self confidence thing. I don't know. Maybe it's me just being self centered. I was raised with dogs so it wouldn't be something new to me. But having a dog is a long term commitment. Plus I don't deal with loss well. When I lose something, I hang on to it for a long time. A psychiatrist once told me I have a hard time moving on after losing something. Kinda stuck. John
Old 08-19-2017, 07:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

but I'm really bad at commitments of any kind.
Oh, I don't know about that. People will do a lot and go a long way for love.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

John that's great news I'm really glad to hear that, and hope you continue to enjoy it

I don't know if they have them in your area or not, but I know where I live and surrounding cities have foster pet programs. What about something like that? You get to have a friend, give some love and care to an animal in need, on a trial basis (so just a small commitment)?
This sounds like good things for you my friend.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi John, (and I know your post was not really about pets), but I was also apprehensive about the commitment of getting a dog, until my wife and I got our first one almost eight years ago. We find having this family member very rewarding and there's no looking back.