Notices

PAWS ..it is real after all!

Old 08-19-2017, 04:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

PAWS ..it is real after all!

Something just clicked,I don't know why but it has

I keep getting PAWS mentioned lately and in past ..and frankly thought what a load of nonsense ..I'll just deal with physical cravings and job done

Then at about 110 days I steam rollered into a brick wall - no idea what was going on as was doing so well..

Tonite I read about PAWS from a older thread - makes perfect sense to current situation ..like a light come on :-)

Moral of story listen to advice on here !

Thanks !
Old 08-19-2017, 11:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Did you read the Digital Dharma (sp??) page about it? That's the one I found most helpful to read - ohh - and actually taking action to do what was suggested. It's the kind of knowledge that is only helpful if we actually use it to change what we're doing.

Hope you've found some things to try.

BB

https://digital-dharma.net/post-acut...r-immediately/
Old 08-19-2017, 11:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great link BB thank you!
Rainy I'm so pleased you are working through your symptoms. Take care xxx
Old 08-19-2017, 11:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

PAWS is definitely real and struck me really bad at 3 months, bad at 6 months and caused a little aggravation at 9 months. Apparently it can keep turning up throughout the first 2 years of recovery but the great news is, it doesn't last. My experience is that each episode of PAWS is shorter and less intense than the last. I also find that when the symptoms settle down, and they always do, I feel much more clear headed than before the episode started. This has led me to believe that each episode of PAWS is somehow assisting my recovery and if I tough it out and not drink, I'll get to reap the benefits at the end.

Reading about PAWS and recognising the symptoms helped me enormously. Sounds like it's helping you too. Good luck
Old 08-20-2017, 02:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Did you read the Digital Dharma (sp??) page about it? That's the one I found most helpful to read - ohh - and actually taking action to do what was suggested. It's the kind of knowledge that is only helpful if we actually use it to change what we're doing.

BB

Really interesting read , thanks for sharing :-)
Old 08-20-2017, 02:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post

BB

Yep, this article was the most helpful of any to me as well. I went through pretty much everything it describes and more. And things did keep getting better, health wise and in every other way.

At 18 mo (tomorrow!) I find that I am healthy and happy and the only "lingering" thing that I focus on is extra rest.

Take care and keep going!
Old 08-20-2017, 10:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kenton View Post
PAWS is definitely real and struck me really bad at 3 months, bad at 6 months and caused a little aggravation at 9 months. Apparently it can keep turning up throughout the first 2 years of recovery but the great news is, it doesn't last. My experience is that each episode of PAWS is shorter and less intense than the last. I also find that when the symptoms settle down, and they always do, I feel much more clear headed than before the episode started. This has led me to believe that each episode of PAWS is somehow assisting my recovery and if I tough it out and not drink, I'll get to reap the benefits at the end.

Reading about PAWS and recognising the symptoms helped me enormously. Sounds like it's helping you too. Good luck
This was my experience as well.

A peculiar part of the experience for me (as well as others, judging by some of the posts I've read on SR) was the unshakeable feeling that the symptoms would NEVER get better, that I was doomed to feel (and function) that poorly always. During bad periods, it was so hard to see the big picture and remember that things WOULD get better as long as I didn't drink.

As the episodes became briefer and less intense over time, I was able to start remembering that bad periods were often followed by good ones, and that if I could just tough out this particular bad patch, I'd eventually feel better than I ever did before.

This is all in the context of taking what action I could to improve the symptoms at the time, although I never really found anything that helped with memory issues, brain fog, shakiness, anhedonia, or aphasia. They simply needed time, and lots of it.

At 4.5 years sober, I'm still not at 100%, but I think part of that is simply a new awareness that I was never really at "100%" even before my drinking days.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I agree. I feel like mine has finally began to subside.

But also, I am aware of it and am used to it. I am used to all the issues. Crap is a better term.

Yesterday, at an AA meeting I periodically attend, this gal hit her 30 days clean. She had drank steadily and progressive for 28 years. Sort of like me.

Yay....a kindred spirit.

So after the meeting I had to ask her how she felt inside. She said no cravings but brain fog.

So I asked are you on meds. She said, they gave her 3 to take. I cringed, but didn't say this part...

While it might make quitting less horrible. Meds can become another addiction. Plus, since quitting seems easy...it could lead to relapse easier. But, this time drinking w meds.

This woman could be on a road to a hell on Earth I never experienced.

Wanted to share this, but it doesn't directly apply here....

But...ime....PAWS is very real.

When in doubt...see a Dr.

Thanks.