Notices

My first task

Old 08-18-2017, 10:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first task

Seeing my therapist via skype again, he told me my first task this week is to start calming my body and brain and nervous system down via meditating twice daily and eating right, sleeping right and cutting down on the smokes etc

He said for now to ignore the crazy thoughts and refrain from judging those thoughts.....im trying to meditate but im getting BOMBARDED with wacky crazy panic.envoking intrusive thoughts.

Ahhhhhhh well I'll keep on trying!
Old 08-18-2017, 10:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hey Chilled! This is going to sound really stupid, but I will share a couple of things that help me.

Since I have a bit of Adult ADD, I am easily distracted (Look! A squirrel!) So I need to listen to guided meditations or I will just wander around from thought to thought.

When I am really anxious, I visualize something that seems very calm to me. And for me, that image is a large, clear glass bowl filled with water. Don't know why...but it helps!

Good luck!
Old 08-18-2017, 10:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Seren View Post
Hey Chilled! This is going to sound really stupid, but I will share a couple of things that help me.

Since I have a bit of Adult ADD, I am easily distracted (Look! A squirrel!) So I need to listen to guided meditations or I will just wander around from thought to thought.

When I am really anxious, I visualize something that seems very calm to me. And for me, that image is a large, clear glass bowl filled with water. Don't know why...but it helps!

Good luck!
I've often wondered if I have ADHD, my attention span has always been seriously low....I can hold a full blown conversation with someone and at the same time be thinking of something else.

And reading can be a task for me as well.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chilledice View Post
He said for now to ignore the crazy thoughts and refrain from judging those thoughts.....im trying to meditate but im getting BOMBARDED with wacky crazy panic.envoking intrusive thoughts.
It's worth noting that successful meditation doesn't just happen automatically, it's takes skill and practice to "train" your brain not to latch onto every thought that comes into your head. If you keep trying, it will come. In my experience, I learned to focus for a few seconds at a time, and then learned to expand that into longer periods.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
It's worth noting that successful meditation doesn't just happen automatically, it's takes skill and practice to "train" your brain not to latch onto every thought that comes into your head. If you keep trying, it will come. In my experience, I learned to focus for a few seconds at a time, and then learned to expand that into longer periods.
Yep that's so true!

Im frustrated but I'll keep hacking away at it.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

One man said he was utterly terrified of turning his head right in case he had two heads.

A woman was scared she was going to turn into a spider

Another man was scared the sky will collapse and kill everyone.

Another thought he was stuck in the matrix.

They ALL made a full recovery so maybe I can too.

But C'MON who the heck gets scared because they can't time travel and stuff......I still think I'm a raving nutcase LOL

Anyways I'll crack on.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

think about this,chilled:
you can walk. at one time, you couldnt- you were crawling. before that you couldnt even crawl.
then one day ya got on your knees and were rocking back and forth. probably plopped down a time or 2.
then one day ya managed to stand up with support.
then one day you were able to take a step. then fall down. then get back up and do it again.
then one day you were off and walking.
then one day running

moral behind this:
ya didnt just start walking one day. ya started by standing up, then takin a few steps. and kept practicing. fell down now and then, but got back up and did it again. eventually walking became pretty easy.

same thing will happen with meditating and ignoring thoughts.

ya know how to get to broadway????
Old 08-18-2017, 01:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Very good way of looking at things.

I am under no illusion I know this will be the toughest fight of my life.

Wooooosaaaaaah WOOOOOOOSAAAAAaaaaaahhhh

See? I've already begun lol
Old 08-18-2017, 01:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

whos a what??
Old 08-18-2017, 01:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You never seen anger management with Jack Nicholson? When they breathe in and out and say wooooosaaaaah lol