Notices

why are most responses about dr and rehab

Old 08-17-2017, 08:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

why are most responses about dr and rehab

Curious why most responses put the fear in people about quitting. They are always see a dr or go to rehab or you will have a seizure. This is not the case with the majority. Its the minority. People who have 4,5,6, 8 drinks a day, do they really need rehab? Have fear put into them from people here telling them they will have seizures...It makes it worse. If someone drinks a 6 pack night after work, and they come here for help, why do people insist on causing more anxiety and fear about quitting.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't think most are having 4,5, 6 or even 8 drinks a day. I think they are having a lot more than that. I was. I wouldn't be too worried about a seizure if that's what I was drinking but everyone is different. I do agree that it can make people more fearful to quit if they think going to rehab or seeing their doctor is the only way. Rehab isn't for everyone. If someone who drinks 4 drinks a day wants to quit, it can be done. All it takes is the motivation and tools to quit!
Old 08-17-2017, 08:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Probably because a lot of folks here had some serious dependency issues and needed medical attention. You're probably right about the majority just needing to find a way to quit. Whether you NEED rehab or not is a matter of opinion. Supervised detox might be necessary in some cases I guess. Opinions about medical treatments are not allowed on this site. That's why people recommend asking a doctor.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree often times people are a bit over dramatic about it which may be counter-productive, and the overwhelming amount of alcoholics can safely withdraw without medical attention, but there are a few that do have severe symptoms and they often times are unpredictable.
I think the forum rules on the issue just wants to side with caution.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I recommend people see a Doctor because it's responsible advice.

I detoxed apparently without incident many times, but my last at home detox included mini strokes.

There's not a day goes by I don't miss full health.

I'm not trying to frighten people at all, or be melodramatic.

Does what happened to me happen to everyone?

Of course not, but if I didn't know I was going to stroke out, how do any of us know we won't have some complication.?

How do you know?

8 beers a night might be ok for a week or two, even a month for some - but what about years of 8 beers a night?

None of us can guarantee what the withdrawal might be.

Likewise with rehabs - if someones tried everything and they still cant stop inpatient rehab could be the answer.

You've posted about this before so I get it - you don't like it.
Objection noted.

Don't worry, I can't make anyone do anything they're not prepared to do - noone can.

But I'll keep advising what I think is the best and safest option, and the option that's mentioned in our medical advice rule:

Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
Dee
SR

Last edited by Dee74; 08-17-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A few years ago on another forum, a new member who said she drank less than a bottle of wine a day asked whether it would be safe to detox on her own. The general consensus of replies (including my own) was that she'd probably be fine, but that she should have somebody watch her and keep the phone handy in case things went south.

A week later, she checked in to report that she'd had a seizure on her 3rd day sober and had to be hospitalized.

Withdrawal from alcohol is tricky and unpredictable. Sure, the risk of complications like seizures and DTs is relatively small, but it simply wouldn't do for anyone on a site like this to advise under any circumstances that it's OK to detox without medical supervision. Better safe than sorry.

As for fear of withdrawal causing people to put off quitting, yes, it's a real problem, but I'm not sure what solution is available that wouldn't involve imprudently giving people the impression that it's safe to quit without supervision.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

There's a lot more to rehab than detox.

I was in really bad shape when I went, so I did require medications to get through the first two weeks. However, I'm very glad I did. It gave me a very safe place to begin sobriety and develop coping skills and a new way of thinking. Also an instant support group when I got out and developing a sobriety plan.

There was nothing scary about it once I got there, it was actually kind of enjoyable.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bcsimpleguy View Post
Curious why most responses put the fear in people about quitting. They are always see a dr or go to rehab or you will have a seizure. This is not the case with the majority. Its the minority. People who have 4,5,6, 8 drinks a day, do they really need rehab? Have fear put into them from people here telling them they will have seizures...It makes it worse. If someone drinks a 6 pack night after work, and they come here for help, why do people insist on causing more anxiety and fear about quitting.
I completely understand your question, and you are right--the vast majority can quit without the DTs and the other deadly consequences that come with withdrawal. However, it is certainly well documented that serious withdrawal and even death can occur when people stop chronic drinking cold turkey. I have read a lot of research on the subject. The fact is, the more you consume per day and the longer you've been consuming, the more likely you are to experience serious withdrawals. So yes, people who drink 1.75 litres of vodka a day are at a much higher risk than those who drink a 6 pack. That being said, there have been documented cases of people suffering DTs only consuming, get this, 2 drinks a day for 30 years. So, it is unpredictable. Another risk factor is other withdrawal symptoms experienced upon drinking less than usual or going a few hours without drink... those that experience shakes, foggy-brain, etc. are more likely to have DTs if they go cold turkey. Isn't it better to be on the safe side, though?

I am no doctor and this isn't medical advice. I am a proponent of weaning off alcohol with willpower in lieu of treatment, should one not wish to go down that road.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Bc,

The issue for me was/is quitting booze is a personal thing. I didn't/don't want to make a big deal out of it for two reasons.

1. It is embarrassing to admit I have a problem.

2. What if I relapse. If I do it on my own, I have options for now that are less restricted. Once I commit to a rehab, doors could close.

I quite because my body and mind were warning me, in horrible and painful ways, things were going very bad quickly.

I could see and feel it, but addiction to booze blinds most of us.

Going to a rehab/Dr. would have probably ended my cool career. I had to quit on my own.

Quitting on my own caused some issues to manifest, but I made it because of this site. That is what any detox will do. That is why quitting is hard.

Physically I got stronger each day I stayed booze free. But, I believe we crave for life. Once a pickle....

I agree telling folks they could die during recovery is scary, but I doubt that it would cause them to keep drinking. Folks could blame this site, but they are really still heavily addicted.

Every single person that comes here wants to quit. Once a person really knows the mental/physical damage booze causes, addiction would be the only reason they would keep drinking.

I believe following the government allowed guidance leads to addiction.

Imo...14 units a week is addiction. I believe anyone routinly bumping into that number, and periodically going over, is addicted.

Finally, part of the reason I don't routinly attend AA is because of my perception of a stigma. I also don't like being locked into meetings forever either. But, if I can't stay clean on my own, that is plan B.

If AA doesn't work, rehab is plan C.

All the while, now I know, that if I blow this....I will regret for the rest of my life rehab wasn't plan A.

Imo....It is all about putting on my big boy pants. Folks could call me dumb for not going straight to rehab or AA. But, last time I checked...I don't care that much what most folks think about me. It is my life.

Thanks.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

One more thing, is a response to the notion that everyone lies about how much they drink. That is certainly not the case with me. I wouldn't know why anyone would do so on an alcohol/recovery forum with complete anonymity. However, if that is generally what people do, then yes, an "8 beer a night" drinker might be a 30 pack a night drinker. But, people need to own their own deception and suffer those consequences.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I agree telling folks they could die during recovery is scary, but I doubt that it would cause them to keep drinking. Folks could blame this site, but they are really still heavily addicted.
If someone is consuming enough alcohol and experiencing symptoms that would suggest they may suffer serious consequences from quitting cold turkey, I believe they can and should continue drinking until consulting a professional treatment center.

I believe following the government allowed guidance leads to addiction.

Imo...14 units a week is addiction. I believe anyone routinly bumping into that number, and periodically going over, is addicted.
People do not start drinking because of the government guidelines. And remember, the government guidelines on drinking are not "you should drink 14 units", it is you should not consume more than 14 units per week. They issue healthy guidelines on fat and carbs, too. And Americans routinely exceed them in gross quantities. It isn't the guidelines that lead to excess. 14 unites per week can lead to alcoholism in alcoholics, not in the rest of the population. People are born alcoholic. It's that first drink that triggers it.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think regardless of whether people are likely to struggle with detoxing or not, the advice is good and valid. For sure it won't hurt to see a Dr or go to rehab (I detoxed cold turkey btw, no problems).

There is also plenty of advice about AA which is not right for a lot of people, still, no harm in trying.

People here will write whatever is familiar to them, most times what worked for them, and readers have to find a way to spot the advice that suits them best.

The main point is that the scary stuff is not seeing a Dr, going to rehab or to AA, the scary stuff is not being able to control how much of a harmful substance we take or the effect it has in our lives.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Exclamation

Folks, regardless of what you think, believe or opine,everyone agreed to follow all our rules when they signed up

The medical advice rule is as follows
10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
Lets all move on and go help someone else.

Thread closed.

Dee
SR