Notices

Lifestyle changes

Old 08-17-2017, 09:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lifestyle changes

9 months ago I decided I wasn't going to drink anymore. I'd made the same decision 1,000 times before then as well. I wanted to be healthy. I wanted to be happy. But I don't think I really believed I could be those things without alcohol. Alcohol had become such a lifestyle for me that living without it seemed daunting and impossible. I didn't think I drank that much... Just felt I over did it when I did.
Looking back though, there was NOTHING heathy or happy with my relationship with alcohol, and I drank a lot. Way more than I let myself believe at the time. It's been just over 9 months since my last drink, and I'm confident in saying that I am legitimately happy and pretty sure I'm healthy (and %100 sure I'm healthier than I was before!!)
I thought not drinking would be hard, and at times it is, but comparatively my life is so much easier. I really don't think i was living the life I deserved before... I was just surviving!! I still have the "why me" moments occasionally, but I'm sort of taking the position that this is what I was dealt, and this is just what my "struggle that will make me stronger" is.
I know I don't post on here often, but I check in frequently and definitely use tools that I have learned from my time on SR. I think the one that has been the most helpful is "play it through"... whenever I am thinking that I drink would help or be nice, I think of what that one drink would lead to and it becomes much less desirable!!
My lifestyle used to revolve around drinking, even if I didn't realize it. I'm happy and thankful that that has changed and sooo grateful for the last 9 months SOBER!! 😊😊😊
Old 08-17-2017, 09:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Awesome 9 months!!
Old 08-17-2017, 09:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Really great news! 9 months is very impressive!
Old 08-17-2017, 10:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done on your 9 months
Old 08-17-2017, 10:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Grape work, PinotNOmore! Shiraz good to see people riesling to the challenge of sobriety.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's great news. And, I'm so glad that you get it, that recovery involves changing a lot, including lifestyle.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great post and well done :-)
Old 08-17-2017, 02:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Brilliant!
Old 08-17-2017, 02:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Excellent !!!
Old 08-17-2017, 02:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
totfit

I know how you feel. Nice isn't it.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on 9 months! Fantastic post!
Old 08-17-2017, 03:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wow 9 months, absolutely fantastic, Congatulations to you
Old 08-17-2017, 03:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Really glad to read this PNM. Congratulations

D
Old 08-17-2017, 04:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PinotNOmore View Post
9 months ago I decided I wasn't going to drink anymore. I'd made the same decision 1,000 times before then as well. I wanted to be healthy. I wanted to be happy. But I don't think I really believed I could be those things without alcohol. Alcohol had become such a lifestyle for me that living without it seemed daunting and impossible. I didn't think I drank that much... Just felt I over did it when I did.
Looking back though, there was NOTHING heathy or happy with my relationship with alcohol, and I drank a lot. Way more than I let myself believe at the time. It's been just over 9 months since my last drink, and I'm confident in saying that I am legitimately happy and pretty sure I'm healthy (and %100 sure I'm healthier than I was before!!)
I thought not drinking would be hard, and at times it is, but comparatively my life is so much easier. I really don't think i was living the life I deserved before... I was just surviving!! I still have the "why me" moments occasionally, but I'm sort of taking the position that this is what I was dealt, and this is just what my "struggle that will make me stronger" is.
I know I don't post on here often, but I check in frequently and definitely use tools that I have learned from my time on SR. I think the one that has been the most helpful is "play it through"... whenever I am thinking that I drink would help or be nice, I think of what that one drink would lead to and it becomes much less desirable!!
My lifestyle used to revolve around drinking, even if I didn't realize it. I'm happy and thankful that that has changed and sooo grateful for the last 9 months SOBER!! 😊😊😊
Great news!...I'm striving for what you have...I know how I feel after 4 days and I want a drink...but me drinking gets out of control!....Keep it up bro! Stay sober
Old 08-18-2017, 10:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by decchemist View Post
Grape work, PinotNOmore! Shiraz good to see people riesling to the challenge of sobriety.

Ha! Love the puns! Thank you everyone! 9 months seems like it flew by in comparison to how slow the first few weeks/ months felt. It does get easier. Strangely enough though, I thought more about drinking yesterday than I have in months! 😕 I guess maybe the milestone had my mind turning. 🤔
Old 08-19-2017, 06:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Old 08-19-2017, 07:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on nine months sober!!
Old 08-20-2017, 12:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congratulations! 9 months is awesome!!