Notices

Not Yet Recovered

Old 08-17-2017, 01:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not Yet Recovered

Hello...

Found myself wandering around the internet trying to connect with others going through similar issues. Well, now i've found you guys, I guess i should share...

I usually drink after 7pm, Most of the time there's a day or two in between, but sometimes I drink the next evening too. I'm a binge drinker. I drink wine mostly (red) and can get through at least 2 bottles in a night.. plus a cider or two sometimes. That's my general drinking style at home. Right now though, i'm away from home and have access to an endless supply of wine... it's now 9:30am and I'm still drinking... actually have no idea how much I've drank as it's all out of wine boxes... can't seem to stop myself sometimes until it knocks me out which can take some time lol

I should also add, that I have a liver disorder that makes me unable to process iron... pretty much doubles the risk of liver cancer and I know this but still can't get things under control with the drinking.

I'm not ridiculously depressed right now like I have been in the past so i don't think depression is the cause of my drinking... i am a very anxious person though and I know that does play a part in it.

Anyway! I think that's enough from me for now... thanks for creating this site and allowing folks like me to express it all.

Whoever might read this, thank you.. and I wish you strength and confidence in all you do.

Jen
Old 08-17-2017, 01:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you are here. Sounds like you know you are in dangerous territory in a few different ways.

There is lots of support here if you want to stop permanently- check out the Newcomers section and perhaps the Class of August 2017 for people thinking about or quitting this month.

Hope to see you here.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Doc?
Old 08-17-2017, 02:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Jen - I think you'll find like minded souls here...and a lot of support and help

D
Old 08-17-2017, 05:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Jen! I too was a wine binge drinker. Now I just pasted 4 months with no wine. Everyday is a new record for me. Getting free of alcohol is possible if you decide you're done. SR is a great community of support and wisdom. Welcome!
Old 08-17-2017, 05:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome to SR, Jen!
Old 08-17-2017, 05:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello Jen

"I should also add, that I have a liver disorder that makes me unable to process iron... pretty much doubles the risk of liver cancer and I know this but still can't get things under control with the drinking." That's scary.

I've often thought about consequences of actions and their relationship to time. If you said to someone, "if you continue smoking you will get lung cancer in 30 years" the smoker would 99.9% not care about this and take their chances. It's because the outcome of their action is way too far in the future to even contemplate.

If I could say with absolute surety, "if you smoke that one cigarette you will get a tumor tomorrow" then (I would hope) the smoker would not light the fag (that's a cigarette in the UK - just a side comment to amuse our US friends).

So it is with alcohol. If I said if you "keep drinking like that then you might get liver cancer in a few years", that might not be enough to convince you to stop right now. However, if I could say with certainty that one more binge tonight and you will 100% be dead tomorrow, who would take the drink?

It's all a gamble and only you can decide if the odds are good and whether you are prepared to accept the outcome one way or another. Not trying to be preachy, it's just as I say I like the temporal connection to decision making here.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Hi, Jen!
I was the same as you....wine was my 'go to' when I was thirsty, lonely, needed energy or needed to 'relax' (pretty much pass out and escape from my world), or wanted to fill a void in my life. Once I started I could not stop for days. The fear of withdrawl kept my drinking until I ran out of money. Then the guilt set in and the loss of days made me stop. Then I had to look at myself in the mirror and see how awful my face was! The energy of trying to pretend I was 'sick' while trying to get rid of the empties was distroying me. My bed was sweaty, smelly, my bedroom was a mess and I was a disaster! I had to make a change. I found alot of support here at SR. I hope you will, too! Stay with us!♡CR
Old 08-17-2017, 08:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

August, I'll check out the newcomers section, ty
Old 08-17-2017, 08:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

PhoenixJ, I went to my docs maybe 6 months ago.. pretty much didn't want to discuss anything to do with my symptoms before I had a liver function blood test so I left feeling pretty like I hadn't got anywhere. I had the test, no idea what the results were, didn't hear back. I know my liver enzymes are high as it was all investigated when I found out about my liver disorder. During that time I was told to quit alcohol for 6 months to bring the enzymes down and I did manage it. I was pretty ill at the time as I had so much iron that had built up. I now have blood removed every 3 months to get rid of the excess.

The doc did give me some support info of a local centre that helps people with alcohol problems. I rang them but decided to cut down myself. Basically, I go through periods where I cut right down, but it always seems to creep back up and before I know it, I'm back to where I started.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by decchemist View Post
Hello Jen

"I should also add, that I have a liver disorder that makes me unable to process iron... pretty much doubles the risk of liver cancer and I know this but still can't get things under control with the drinking." That's scary.

I've often thought about consequences of actions and their relationship to time. If you said to someone, "if you continue smoking you will get lung cancer in 30 years" the smoker would 99.9% not care about this and take their chances. It's because the outcome of their action is way too far in the future to even contemplate.

If I could say with absolute surety, "if you smoke that one cigarette you will get a tumor tomorrow" then (I would hope) the smoker would not light the fag (that's a cigarette in the UK - just a side comment to amuse our US friends).

So it is with alcohol. If I said if you "keep drinking like that then you might get liver cancer in a few years", that might not be enough to convince you to stop right now. However, if I could say with certainty that one more binge tonight and you will 100% be dead tomorrow, who would take the drink?

It's all a gamble and only you can decide if the odds are good and whether you are prepared to accept the outcome one way or another. Not trying to be preachy, it's just as I say I like the temporal connection to decision making here.
I worry about the damage I'm doing every day. I get liver pain and usually a racing heart the day after I drink. Also a sore mouth and throat... not sure what it's going to take to scare me enough to quit. I wonder sometimes if I care enough about life and maybe that's the reason behind it? I dunno, can't think of another reason why I'm risking my health so much.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
Hi, Jen!
I was the same as you....wine was my 'go to' when I was thirsty, lonely, needed energy or needed to 'relax' (pretty much pass out and escape from my world), or wanted to fill a void in my life. Once I started I could not stop for days. The fear of withdrawl kept my drinking until I ran out of money. Then the guilt set in and the loss of days made me stop. Then I had to look at myself in the mirror and see how awful my face was! The energy of trying to pretend I was 'sick' while trying to get rid of the empties was distroying me. My bed was sweaty, smelly, my bedroom was a mess and I was a disaster! I had to make a change. I found alot of support here at SR. I hope you will, too! Stay with us!♡CR
I hear you, Chloe... I hate that moment of realisation when I clear up all the empty bottles and stare into the recycling bin wondering how I managed to get through so much. I have to tell myself constantly I'm not drinking tonight, but unless I'm feeling completely wiped out and hungover it doesn't usually work. Literally don't have any motivation these days to do anything productive. I've put on weight too over the last couple of years, and can't shift it. I fluctuate anyway but I'm the heaviest I've been in my whole life.

It sounds like you've made great progress though, which is really fantastic to hear, well done
Old 08-17-2017, 09:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

love the quotes, least

I miss my lovely doggy Just me and my adorable cat, Sophie now... she was a stray, followed me home one day and that night, curled up on my chest, nibbled my nose and fell asleep. Was such a cute moment.