Notices

how long is it going to take..

Old 08-15-2017, 02:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy how long is it going to take..

i want to stop drinking but i haven't stayed stopped in over 2 years. i always hear that people get sick of drinking and just stop but they seem to always be older people. i'm 24, is it really going to take me that long to stop drinking properly..
Old 08-15-2017, 02:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheOwl View Post
i always hear that people get sick of drinking and just stop but they seem to always be older
yeah, i dont think you always hear that. not only that, youre not hearing from EVERYONE- read around here- evidense here shows thats not the case with the vast majority of people.they needed outside assistance to help stop drinking- a recovery program, therapy, rehab...
and MANY young people
not only that, a LOT of them old people werent always sober and old. they got sober and old by stopping drinking at a young age.

i was 37 when i got sober.
im 50 now.

a very good friend was 26 when he got sober.
hes 63 now.

no, it wont take that long if you dont allow it. if you get into action you can make your last drink your last drink for the rest of your life.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You can stop whenever you like Owl, you are never too young or old to do it. In fact, comparing yourself to others can really be counterproductive.

What you should focus on is looking at what you've done in the past to try quitting and see what you can add to your plan. Or make a plan if you haven't already.

What kinds of things have you tried before?
Old 08-15-2017, 02:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA Member

ah to be young and sober again !

i just turned 55 this week and havent had a drink since i was 29

AA is a huge sober social group

hang gliding
snow skiing
water skiing
dances
bungee jumping
golf
bowling
hiking
motorcycles
bicycles
skating
road trips

on and on

Old 08-15-2017, 03:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
yeah, i dont think you always hear that. not only that, youre not hearing from EVERYONE- read around here- evidense here shows thats not the case with the vast majority of people.they needed outside assistance to help stop drinking- a recovery program, therapy, rehab...
and MANY young people
not only that, a LOT of them old people werent always sober and old. they got sober and old by stopping drinking at a young age.

i was 37 when i got sober.
im 50 now.

a very good friend was 26 when he got sober.
hes 63 now.

no, it wont take that long if you dont allow it. if you get into action you can make your last drink your last drink for the rest of your life.
well yeah it was an exaggeration but the last few days its all i've been hearing about. just frustrated with myself at the moment but thanks
Old 08-15-2017, 03:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
You can stop whenever you like Owl, you are never too young or old to do it. In fact, comparing yourself to others can really be counterproductive.

What you should focus on is looking at what you've done in the past to try quitting and see what you can add to your plan. Or make a plan if you haven't already.

What kinds of things have you tried before?
i've tried just stopping, aa and another group. was my fault that i stopped but it got overwhelming at the time because i was the youngest and i don't do well in social situations
Old 08-15-2017, 03:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by january161992 View Post
ah to be young and sober again !

i just turned 55 this week and havent had a drink since i was 29

AA is a huge sober social group

hang gliding
snow skiing
water skiing
dances
bungee jumping
golf
bowling
hiking
motorcycles
bicycles
skating
road trips

on and on

thanks
Old 08-15-2017, 04:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You don't have to be 'old' to stop drinking. You only have to want a better life and do anything to get it.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

you'll find every older drinker who quits wish they quit at your age.

I could have - I had all the proof I needed that I was not a moderate or safe drinker and I had no off switch...but I ignored it.

You don't have to ignore it

Be smarter than me

D
Old 08-15-2017, 05:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think the fact you are even here shows you maybe you are sick of drinking. People who are feeling ok about their drinking dont tend to post in recovery forums.

I think any addict fools themselves that one day they will wake up and not want t anymore. We tell ourselves tomorrow we will do it, tomorrow we will find it easier, something will click for us before we hit rock bottom.

Truth is you have to be active in recovery. You have to work at it. Everyone who seems like they just got sick of it had to conciously work at it too. There are many people who are sick of it still drinking, many people who hit rock bottom and stay there choosing to drink.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I would check out the AA calendars in your area, I know most have numerous types of groups, including ones just for younger people. If you don't like the group environment, you can also look into addiction therapists for one on one treatment.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AwkwardKitty View Post
I think the fact you are even here shows you maybe you are sick of drinking. People who are feeling ok about their drinking dont tend to post in recovery forums.

I think any addict fools themselves that one day they will wake up and not want t anymore. We tell ourselves tomorrow we will do it, tomorrow we will find it easier, something will click for us before we hit rock bottom.

Truth is you have to be active in recovery. You have to work at it. Everyone who seems like they just got sick of it had to conciously work at it too. There are many people who are sick of it still drinking, many people who hit rock bottom and stay there choosing to drink.
that makes a lot of sense actually, i'm half wanting to drink and half hating it right now, i just need to make not drinking stick
Old 08-15-2017, 05:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I get you, I hate it but I find myself longing for it, for the escape. Im on day 20 and had a really stressful couple of days.

For me its about reminding myself of my motivation. People here say 'play the tape forward'. When I really crave I play the tape til the end, I see me going to get booze late at night, waking up on the floor, too tired and hungover to play with my son, feeling anxious depressed and full of self hatred. And I cry because it feels painful not to drink atm and I feel sorry for myself because instead of escaping I have to deal with my emotions. You have to find your own motivation. But the fact you are here at all shows you are not happy. I was lurking here and researching recovery for a few weeks before I quit.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Running on Backup Power

You're lucky you have realized you have a problem at your age. I didn't even start drinking heavily until I was about a year younger than you, and I denied that I even had a problem until about two years ago. If I had quit when I was your age, I would have had a lot more productive activity during the last few years of my life, and probably wouldn't have incurred the mental damage I did.

Alcoholism is a progressive illness, don't forget. The sooner you stop it, the better off you'll be in the long run. There's no age requirement for quitting.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheOwl View Post
i want to stop drinking but i haven't stayed stopped in over 2 years. i always hear that people get sick of drinking and just stop but they seem to always be older people. i'm 24, is it really going to take me that long to stop drinking properly..
Nope, it doesn't have to take that long. If you decide you are ready to quit- for whatever reason(s), and most of us have plenty- then now can be the time.

Sounds like you know you have a problem- perhaps check out the Class of Aug 2017 thread here, and otherwise read around - look for the SIMILARITIES (ie, in experience, feelings, thoughts, struggles) NOT the differences. I imagine that like me you will find plenty.

You can quit, now - and might not have a chance at a "later" time, if alcohol catches up with you before you get around to quitting.

Take care.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm 26 and alcohol caused me health problems that could have been avoided if I decided to quit two years ago. A couple years of hardcore drinking can really f**** up your health, be careful.