Notices

Back from the brink

Old 08-14-2017, 05:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back from the brink

Hi Everyone, been a few days since I properly checked in but have been lurking and reading.

So tonight was pretty much the worst craving ever (day 18). My hubby and friend had a few drinks in the pub and came back tipsy with beers and sat round drinking. I was so tempted to join in. I felt so uptight, like I was going to explode. I honestly believed I was going to crack and Id be writing on here day 1 again. But I got through it, just about. I realised that if I am serious about sobriety then this is a situation I am going to be in time and again, and I have to get through it. So I did.

I made it into day 19. And I have an appointment with the alcohol support team tomorrow.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back!
Old 08-14-2017, 06:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Way to push through, AK! I really like how you thought through that situation. So true that we will be faced with times like that and there's no way around them being uncomfortable for awhile.

Thanks for the inspiring post.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

As they say tealily, the only way out is through.

Its so hard though, I felt in pain, I felt like the only way to get rid of the pain was to drink. I put my little boy to bed and held his hand as he slept, crying my eyes out in the dark. It seems so silly now, all for what.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad you made it through!

Seriously though it's true we have to navigate stuff like that, it's also true that on day 18 you're pretty fragile still, and that can and does take a lot out of a person.

We don't need to sit around and let the world happen to us.

You might want to consider talking to your hubs and telling him how hard that was for you?

Just because we "can" take it doesn't mean we have to. Most people have zero comprehension how hard it is to sit there in early sobriety (and not so early for many) while they booze it up all around.

I set a boundary. No boozing here. My gf has beer in the house and we get wine for company but the beverages accompany an activity, are drank in sincere moderation, and if I get uncomfortable the event ends. I haven't had to end anything yet, although one night I did take the dog for a walk abruptly. Came back and everyone was drinking water with the dishes done.

So not everyone has to be sober in my house, but my sobriety is respected. If my gf broke both her legs we would have a wheelchair ramp in less than a day. It's kind of the same thing.

B
Old 08-14-2017, 06:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by AwkwardKitty View Post
the only way out is through.
Its so hard though, I felt in pain, I felt like the only way to get rid of the pain was to drink.
Kitty, you're so right. There is no way around the pain, but to go through it. And, it's scary and really hard, but each day will get easier. Good luck with your appointment.