Notices

Just thought I'd share something I read.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just thought I'd share something I read.

If you are anything like me, you tried to quit drinking many times before you finally followed through with it. Each time I failed my self esteem fell even lower. I began to think I was doomed to a life of drinking. Nothing special happened to me to make this time successful. I began reading as much as I could about people who had beat this thing and I became inspired. I began to believe I could one day be free from the shackles of alcohol. Now I would never go back.

It takes time to get to that point but hang in there. Believe that getting through the cravings will pay off in the long run.

Example:

You have had a stressful day at work and just want to drink when you get home to unwind and forget about it all. While it may not be easy, you have to convince yourself to do something else. Drink some tea, call a understanding friend, watch some TV. Basically, anything you can do to unwind without touching the poison.

If you cave in and drink, you will not get proper sleep, you likely won’t eat right and you’ll wake up irritable and fuzzy for work. What happens then? You create a cycle. Of course you will have another stressful day at work, probably even worse because you never stood a chance from the moment you woke up.

No one who has ever woken up sober has thought to themselves “Damn, I wish I had drank last night!”

The you of that evening might of felt uncomfortable denying yourself alcohol, but the you of the next day will be perfectly okay with the decision you made.
from

preservetomorrow.com

Last edited by Dee74; 08-14-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I liked this sentiment: "The you of that evening might of felt uncomfortable denying yourself alcohol, but the you of the next day will be perfectly okay with the decision you made."

And as the author noted, I've never woken up sober and regretted not drinking the night before.

Thanks for sharing this.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

I'm really glad i saw this as i was thinking about posting something in a similar tone

Basically i would suggest don't question why you can't drink responsibly, but just realise it, some folks might see others drinking & think they haven't got a problem & thier denial can feed thier addiction for a lifetime or worse

It is hard staying sober especially for the first 6 months to a year i know it seems like a long time, but its nothing really. I've been sober 49 months or just over 4 years & it feels I've been sober a lot longer

I see addiction constantly now, most people i see drinking are either outright drunk or buying drink to do so i don't have romantic ideas of a drink with dinner or to unwind etc i truly think that is just another form of denial especially since the best way to unwind is sober & having no alcohol with dinner will make sure your food is digested properly & your vital organs are not overworked or abused with alcohol -

When someone smokes cigarettes they are a smoker when people drink alcohol they are a drinker to me there is no inbetween you either do or your don't

My basic message here is focus on you & no one else do this for you & i promise better things will come your way & happen

I didn't think i could ever get sober let alone stay sober so i really relate if you feel like that but now i want you to relate with me in recovery to see everything i say is true ... and possibly a little discombobulated lol

Be well everyone x
Old 08-15-2017, 12:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is very helpful reading

Thak you .