Notices

Day 21, but why am I counting?

Old 08-13-2017, 03:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 21, but why am I counting?

Hi everyone!

I've managed 21 days and am pretty pleased with myself. Have had a wicked sugar addiction though! A couple of mars bars in the evening has hit the spot! That seems to have settled a bit today though.

I had to spend the weekend with my ex, which usually involves me cuddling up with a bottle of scotch or a few bottles of wine and hoping time goes quickly....I managed the weekend, sober, switched on, and relatively calm all things considered.

I have shed a couple of kilos, but my skin is still dry a f. I'm hoping this will pass eventually. My skin is looking ok, but not quite the glowing porcelain face I had hoped for!, A couple of giant zits stood in the way of porcelain perfection .

I,ve been wondering though.....Why do we count the days sober? I quit smoking a few years ago, but I struggle to remember the date, or even the year. Is it a reminder of how far we've come, and how much we've achieved?

Appreciate any thoughts.

Old 08-13-2017, 03:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job on quitting and on 21 days.

For me, counting days gave me strength and especially at first, a sense of accomplishment. At almost 18 months, I "check" my specific number once a week or so - for the first 90 days it was days, then I counted months, then 10s once I crossed a 100 and so on. I always kept an eye on the actual days! Some numbers just "felt bigger" than others.

Sometimes thoughts came like "if I can do 200 days, I can do 300!" or such.

In general, in AA specifically, since the focus is "one day at a time" and a focus on the present because it is all we are given, lends itself to keeping track.

Also, milestones like 30 days, 90 days, 9 mo and a year are considered just that because statistically, our chances of staying sober increase the longer we are sober and research shows certain milestones (like 9 mo) are "big" in this kind of measurement. So in AA, for example, coins are given and the group celebrates with each person in recovery. Time markers tend to mark health recovery as well - ie, for women in particular, it is often the case that it takes 1-2 years to fully recover from serious alcohol abuse. I know I have seen improvements that were noticeable at different intervals, usually pretty close to the times I mention (I saw forward progress most noticeably at 4 mo, 8ish mo, and 13...).

Some people say that "day one" is the most important (the white chip) because it indicates the willingness to try a life of sobriety. IME and IMO - every chip is important and every day is a victory!
Old 08-13-2017, 03:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Sunshineinoz View Post
Why do we count the days sober?
For me, it's a way to mark the accomplishment. Though days are difficult to count now that I've been blessed with years of sobriety.

I find it interesting that many are adverse to counting their sober days. Yet most of us know how long we drank. You're no exception:

Originally Posted by Sunshineinoz View Post
I live in sunny South Australia, and have had a problem with alcohol for roughly 15 years.
Might as well track your freedom from alcoholism.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I like to count the days because of the sense of achievement. Day 285 for me today and I'm getting so excited about nearing 1 year.

Also, sometimes my particular experiences in recovery match other people's. For example, at 6 months sober I seemed to get a peak in anxiety. It was comforting to read other people with more sober time than me say that they experienced the same thing at 6 months but it settled down with more sober time. Keeping track of the days reminds me that this is a journey. Some parts are easier than others but I just got to keep moving forward. Got to keep getting to that next day.

Many congrats on 21 days. Keep clocking those days up..... One at a time
Old 08-13-2017, 05:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Sun,

Accountability. Part of being a drunk was being a rebel.

Being a rebel was really an excuse for being heavily physically and mentally addicted to booze.

SR requires more...self accountability...than AA. The other end of the spectrum is...state ordered periodic drug screening.

Thanks.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
under new management

I keep track because I enjoy a sense of accomplishment. It gives me joy to see my growing pile of sober days, weeks, months and now, years, adding up.

I quit smoking 10 years ago and, although, I don't count days, I do happily and proudly, cross off another year of being nicotine free

To each their own!

And, well done on 21 days!

Old 08-13-2017, 11:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I always count the days , as more days go by more determined I am not to drink
Well done on 21 days