Notices

Is it normal to feel this tired?

Old 08-11-2017, 06:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is it normal to feel this tired?

Hey there soberfriends, so other than stomach issues physically I'm doing pretty ok except for one thing. I am absolutely exhausted most of the time.

So I was wondering from others who have been sober a bit longer than me (I'm coming up to a month), is this something you had? How long did it take to pass.

Physically my doctors say I'm fine liver wise, so I'm thinking its either withdrawal or an anxiety side effect.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Gratitude Gardener

I was utterly EXHAUSTED for about 1 whole month. It was shocking how tired I was. I am not usually ever able to take mid-day naps, but after quitting I literally HAD to take mid-day naps. EVERY SINGLE DAY for a whole month or so.

I couldnt keep the fatigue at bay. Had to nap.

Whats weird in my case is that I regularly would go three weeks to a month of not drinking over the past 4 years, because of my job. I would sort of drink one month, and then not drink the next month (generally).

So, I can only surmise that I had finally signaled to by subconscious that I was truly quitting for good, and so my body said, "OH! Okay... in that case, we need to start to truly heal!" and it forced me to sleep so that i could heal.

Thats my theory anyway

But yes, its normal. Its ultimately a good sign, in my opinion.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah me too I mean I planned on doing more exercise to get in shape, but other than walking and stuff that has simply not been possible.

I enjoy a nice mid-afternoon nap as much as the next person, but I think I've had my fill of them for a little while!
Old 08-11-2017, 08:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah it's normal - your energy will return andagain

D
Old 08-11-2017, 11:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Running on Backup Power

I was always very tired while I was drinking, sleeping 10 hours a day or more. I don't know whether this was just due to the alcohol, or if it was caused by depression stacked on top of that. I know I've had a bit more energy after quitting, and the antidepressant I'm taking now helps with that.

It'll get better, don't worry.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Andagain View Post
Hey there soberfriends, so other than stomach issues physically I'm doing pretty ok except for one thing. I am absolutely exhausted most of the time.

So I was wondering from others who have been sober a bit longer than me (I'm coming up to a month), is this something you had? How long did it take to pass.

Physically my doctors say I'm fine liver wise, so I'm thinking its either withdrawal or an anxiety side effect.
Great job on getting sober!

For me, YES, I was incredibly exhausted and for quite awhile. I was VERY sick when I quit (all levels were at minimum "off" and my liver was dangerously close to cirrhosis) so it took me months to feel truly well. Fatigue is still my biggest flag, need to take care of, etc.

My experience is likely extreme, but the crushing fatigue passed somewhere around 100+ days....then it became mostly napping every day (I went back to a very active job as a server in a place with four floors to the patio!)....and now I am more prone to fatigue when emotional stressors (good or bad) happen. I am closing in on 18 mo sober.

Take care of yourself- sleep as much as your body tells you/that you can- everyone heals differently. The common thing we find is that not drinking is the key to all of the healing.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

At some point in the afternoon I have a half hour nap ,I dont see it as something wrong medically but one of those annoying symptoms of anxiety which does exhaust me at times .
Old 08-12-2017, 07:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I literally just logged onto SR wondering about the fatigue myself. Again. I am at 83 days now and still seem to be so tired all the time. At 40 days I asked about the fatigue assuming 40 days wasn't enough to heal from years of abuse. Which was confirmed by others. I guess for me, 83 days still isn't enough time. I will trust that it will pass. Eventually.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Took me 2-3 months to feel perky. We've abused ourselves badly and need time to heal. You're doing great.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I had a level of extreme fatigue that lasted well over a year. It is what my body truly required. I do take meds for depression and anxiety.
Since the year mark, my energy levels have slowly been climbing but certainly improving.
I think im 20 or so months now but am in a much better place, personally, professionally and with my family. I do get tired mid afternoon , if im at work ill have a coffee and be fine.. if im at home ill take a nap for about an hour. Otherwise this is something ive just learned to live with in a positive light.
Sleep is my weakness, my body requires about 10 hours a day, so I rarely get exactly what my body requires. Some people are made differently, they key is to understand what you need for optimal health, and then act accordingly.
And i couldnt be happier.