Notices

Not drinking is changing me..

Old 08-11-2017, 03:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Not drinking is changing me..

Aside from the normal benefits of not drinking - has anyone else looked around at their belongings and just started to *see* all of the clutter they have accumulated? All the money spent on clothing, purses, makeup, skin care, household items, etc..

After four months of not drinking, I've discovered minimalism/konmari and I'm obsessed. My mind and body feel clean and I want my surroundings to match what I feel on the inside. I feel so.. sad with how much I've spent and how depressed I must have been to surround myself with things that really don't mean much to me. I've given away countless items at this point, and I don't miss a single one of them.

I'm realizing now, that I spent more time looking for things to fill up the empty walls in my living space than actually enjoying the space I was in. This can be said for both my dwelling and my physical self.

I want more greenery in my spaces. I want to eat cleanly. I want to stop dyeing my hair with those harsh chemicals. I want to let my skin breathe instead of slathering on toners, oils, creams, etc.. I just want to live simply. I don't want to take time and moments for granted.

I apologize for the rambling - I've been on vacation the past week and feel incredibly relaxed at the moment. Just thought I'd hop on to share my thoughts of simple living after drinking..

Lots of love to you all.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nikkabean326 View Post
Aside from the normal benefits of not drinking - has anyone else looked around at their belongings and just started to *see* all of the clutter they have accumulated? All the money spent on clothing, purses, makeup, skin care, household items, etc..

After four months of not drinking, I've discovered minimalism/konmari and I'm obsessed. My mind and body feel clean and I want my surroundings to match what I feel on the inside. I feel so.. sad with how much I've spent and how depressed I must have been to surround myself with things that really don't mean much to me. I've given away countless items at this point, and I don't miss a single one of them.

I'm realizing now, that I spent more time looking for things to fill up the empty walls in my living space than actually enjoying the space I was in. This can be said for both my dwelling and my physical self.

I want more greenery in my spaces. I want to eat cleanly. I want to stop dyeing my hair with those harsh chemicals. I want to let my skin breathe instead of slathering on toners, oils, creams, etc.. I just want to live simply. I don't want to take time and moments for granted.

I apologize for the rambling - I've been on vacation the past week and feel incredibly relaxed at the moment. Just thought I'd hop on to share my thoughts of simple living after drinking..

Lots of love to you all.
You are not rambling! You are sharing and thank you for that!
Old 08-11-2017, 04:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

OMG I feel the exact same way - that's incredible! I hadn't linked these feelings to sobriety until I read your post just now. I'm just over 2 months sober, and over the past few weeks, I've noticed an increasing disregard for superficialiaty and materialism, and that I'm beginning to care less and less about things that I had put so much effort into previously.

I find myself putting a much higher emphasis on emotional rewards and positivity, such as spending time with family and my husband, emersing myself in work and looking forward to rekindling hobbies and other activities I enjoy, rather than spending money and energy on alcohol, expensive clothes, shoes and other material items.

Thanks so much for sharing!
Old 08-11-2017, 05:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not drinking helped me build a sober life I loved - and that changed me too - for the better

way to go Nikkabean

D
Old 08-11-2017, 07:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for sharing this, NB. Really inspiring observation and insight. I hear your clarity and serenity.

Very happy for you! I hope to reach the same.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
fgo

That is a great post. I always try to live simple, drinking always complicated it.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Minimalism is a really great way of keeping yourself more relaxed =)
Old 08-12-2017, 01:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I love your post!!!

We all might have different ways of doing it but it is so liberating to be able to create the life we truly want - whether it's decorating, or how we spend money (huge for me!), or what we read or....figuring out what sober me likes (and doesn't) has been awesome.

I had become a mess around the house, to put it lightly, and would buy food (maybe) then not eat it and have to throw everything out, wake up to late night food delivered that was just abandoned on the counter, and that's just a couple examples of my life's "unmanageability." Just before I read this I was getting a cup of coffee and looked around for a sec at my living area and workspace, in our new apt, and just grinned because it is so pretty and makes me happy to live in a lovely, clean space (with my beloved and step-daughter too, of course!).

Keep sharing the good stuff!!!
Old 08-12-2017, 01:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wonderful post thank you! I'm finding that by organising my surroundings better I feel more peaceful inside. Changing things to get away from the chaos of before is really therapeutic to me. Clearing out stupid things I've kept and seeing what I've bought unnecessarily is an eye opener. I had 4 containers of baking powder! Just because I didn't remember I already had some!
Lovely to hear about your progress and you're inspiring me to keep up to my own clutter. At home and in my mind too!