Notices

So nearly one year ....

Old 08-11-2017, 03:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So nearly one year ....

Hello everyone , first post on here and as the title says im 10 days off one year ... so many emotions throughout the year guilt,sad,angry,self pity ,happy,proud .. why cant i drink like others etc etc all these emotions constantly changing how i feel about my sobriety...i know im an alcoholic ,did rehab last year for 1 month and have attended AA meetings regulary every since and know i dont want to start the addictve cycle of drinking again but that av is so constant again at the moment that im tired of still thinking about drinking so many times throughout the day .. l realise my brain is so programmed over the years to think like this and that it will take time but just thought i would post this to hopefully hear others views on this .. tyou 🤔
Old 08-11-2017, 03:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your upcoming year sober! What I'd suggest is that you practice gratitude every day. Nothing has affected me so profoundly as practicing gratitude. My attitude went from being all negative to mostly positive. I smile more and feel better. I also sleep better when I go to bed happy and grateful.

Gratitude was suggested to me when I was around 3 months sober but still felt depressed and dissatisfied. At first it was hard to find something to be thankful for, but it got easier.

This article tells how positive thinking has lots of health benefits. It also talks about the benefits of compassion and kindness.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/03/w...8264&te=1&_r=0
Old 08-11-2017, 04:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on almost 1 year sober. That is a major accomplishment! I like Least's suggestion of practicing gratitude.

It is kind of scary to hit the 1 year mark because you wonder what is going to happen next in your journey. It all is still pretty new too. Keep doing what has gotten you this far.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on reaching a year of recovery.

Anniversaries can trigger thoughts of drinking, but hopefully they won't last. You can get through this and move on.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome warbywig

congrats on your upcoming year

why do you think your AV is still so active?

D
Old 08-11-2017, 05:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Years- yes. And research, and hard work and support for me. Support to you.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to have you here with us, Warbywig. I think posting here will help you - we all understand the feelings you're having. Congrats on your nearly one year.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Gratitude 🤗

Thanku for your replies and advice 😀 Gonna up my gratitude thinking def .. nighty i do my gratitude list but recently it has become autopilot at times ...need to recharge my gratitude battery ... as to my av i know i just need to realise it will be there for a long time as i slowly retrain my brain not to add it to most thoughts or activities...at least i know not to act on it and thats the most important thought .. one day at a time 😘Ps great to be on here love this site ...