Notices

Never ending pain of my first offense

Old 08-11-2017, 08:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Never ending pain of my first offense

Well I was hoping that I could maybe get past this first offense DUI in the future however, the longer I've had it the longer I realize that my life is over. My career is ended before it started my family hates me and I see no way for it to get better. And why is it that the court will reward a dishonest person who will plea not guilty but screw over someone who just admits to their mistake I don't understand it.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I am sorry that you are having such a bad time Brown. I do not know what the consequences of your DUI are where you live (I am from the UK myself) I do know people on this forum who have been in the same situation and have got sober and gone on to a good job. As long as you don't repeat the actions that caused the DUI you will be OK. This is a setback not a final chapter.

If everyone who ever had a DUI has the employment prospects permanently blocked that would remove about half the tax base.

You can make sure you do the right thing and it will be ok. Don't despair.

As regards to your family then again if you stay sober and out of trouble they shouldn't be mad forever (if they are then it is they that have the problem)
Old 08-11-2017, 12:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Hi Brown - Gosh I understand how you feel. I had THREE DUI's before I finally had enough and quit drinking. Where do you live? I'm from Wisconsin and a first offense is not fun, but really not that bad if you just do what they tell you. I know other states or countries are worse. How long ago were you arrested? It took me a while to stop feeling just horrible about my first one, but as time went on it got better.

I pled no contest to all of mine (pretty much same as a guilty plea) - there was no getting out of them. In my area the judges appreciate someone who owns up to their mistakes. Doesn't mean they will go any easier on you as far as penalties go - the rules are the rules and they don't have a lot of leeway. But they will treat you more nicely in court if you are really sorry for what you did and respectful. Have you been to court yet?

Edited to add: Your life is NOT over. I don't know what kind of job you had - did it involve driving?
Old 08-11-2017, 12:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Brown94 View Post
Well I was hoping that I could maybe get past this first offense DUI in the future however, the longer I've had it the longer I realize that my life is over.
I don't doubt the repercussions of your DUI have harsh, but you posted about this less than a month ago. Hardly enough time to start predicting that your life is over. You are suffering the short term effects, not the long term ones.

Deal with the consequences of your actions, stay sober, and more importantly, stay positive.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Doggonecarl nailed it!
Old 08-11-2017, 01:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's still early days in dealing with the DUI. How do you know for certain that your career is ruined? It could be that you will find you can continue with your career plan when you finish school.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Brown94 View Post
My career is ended before it started.
Sorry you're struggling Brown. Getting a DUI sucks, I know...BTDT! Had you just gotten a new job when you were pulled over?

As others have said, the best way to move forward in a positive way is to learn something from this experience. Try not to see this consequence to your drinking as a negative. Stop drinking and change your life. Once you get the monkey off your back, you'll never have to worry about dealing with another DUI. Most importantly, you will be amazed how much better your life will become once alcohol has been removed from it.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hopefully the severity of this will force you to come to grips with your relationship with alcohol. In other words, maybe its time to quit drinking for good. Sounds like you are young, you have an entire life ahead of you. Unless there are some extenuating circumstances, I doubt your life is over.

On a side note of DUI: I am of the opinion that a DUI is an offense that can be reconciled with money, sad but true. In the mid 1990's I got a DUI and was in DEEP trouble, I hired the best DUI attorney in the state....I walked. its not fair, but its reality.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

are you still drinking?