Notices

Tired and stressed

Old 08-09-2017, 12:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tired and stressed

I'm tired and stressed and just feel like giving up. I've really been trying to get my head above water with work lately but it's just not happening. Now I have people emailing me and copying my boss in about how I'm not sticking to deadlines. I'm really trying. I was given an assignment and asked how long it'd take. I was honest and said to give me a month. I have a lot on my plate at work. But no. They had to insist on a week. So, of course, I'm late. I spent the whole last weekend working and I just can't do working overtime anymore. It's draining me and taking time away from my son. I'm just so tired and stressed.

Plus, I'm sadly drinking again. I'm so tired. I don't have enough time to come on SR where I can get fastest help. It's just so frustrating.

So I have to go off now and try to finish this assignment before the end of the working day or I get fried. I'm so tired!!!!!!
Old 08-09-2017, 01:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lava

its probably not what you want to hear but drinking will only make bad things worse, and reduce your capacity to be productive and handle stress.

If you can't complete the assignment on time maybe it's time to let your boss know?

D
Old 08-09-2017, 01:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm feeling exactly same so I sympathise !!

Surrounded my snitches at work 😡😡

Drinking not going to make it any better at all - just a hell of a lot worse

I'm going to kick something ..the photo copier may get it ..always hated it !!
Old 08-09-2017, 01:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Lava,

Try scheduling a meeting with your boss and share the reason you set a month for the first timeline. Show him/her where you are in the project and your plan for completion.

I know that I thought I was handling everything fine when I was drinking, but in hindsight it made me much less effective. I was drinking in the evenings which made trying to work, or quality time with my kids difficult, and it also made my mornings fuzzy which caused me to be much less productive.

What have you tried if stop drinking in the past?
Old 08-09-2017, 02:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Lava

its probably not what you want to hear but drinking will only make bad things worse, and reduce your capacity to be productive and handle stress.

If you can't complete the assignment on time maybe it's time to let your boss know?

D
My boss already knows due to the email.

I know drinking makes things worse. I was/am trying hard to just clear the backlog but I get sucked into accepting more and more work. I'm not good at saying no or standing my ground. Plus, I have a lot of anxiety related to work.

I'm going on leave for a month next month so I hope that time away will be good for me.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Hi Lava,

Try scheduling a meeting with your boss and share the reason you set a month for the first timeline. Show him/her where you are in the project and your plan for completion.

I know that I thought I was handling everything fine when I was drinking, but in hindsight it made me much less effective. I was drinking in the evenings which made trying to work, or quality time with my kids difficult, and it also made my mornings fuzzy which caused me to be much less productive.

I have tried to stop drinking. Got to day 3 last week and relapsed. I was tired on that day. Remember, HALT? Anyway, I know I need to stop. I just need time to re-organize my life. It's so disorganized right now. And I know, drinking is making it worse. It makes me even more tired.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Hi Lava,

And I will talk to my boss. I don't know what exactly I'll say, though... It's just been too many things, too much to juggle, my personal issues.... For sure, as regards this particular assignment, I have to finish this today. No two ways about it.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lava256 View Post
I have tried to stop drinking. Got to day 3 last week and relapsed. I was tired on that day. Remember, HALT?
HALTs not a list of reasons to drink - it's to remind us of factors that make us vulnerable.

Having strategies for when you're Hungry Angry Lonely or Tired is s a great foundation for a recovery plan

I know you're under pressure right now - noones having a go at you - but at the same time, we're trying to help you work out a better recovery plan.

Anyway, I know I need to stop. I just need time to re-organize my life. It's so disorganized right now. And I know, drinking is making it worse. It makes me even more tired.
You'll need to think about how to deal with pressure because it's inevitable it's going to happen again.

M,y advice is to stop drinking now...leaving it until work gets better or you get time to reorganise your life is a variation on 'quitting tomorrow'...I pretty much spent 20 years that way, drinking all the while..

D
Old 08-09-2017, 02:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

HALTs not a list of reasons to drink - it's to remind us of factors that make us vulnerable.

I know you're under pressure right now - noones having a go at you - but at the same time, we're trying to help you work out a better recovery plan.

You'll need to think about how to deal with pressure because it's inevitable it's going to happen again.

M,y advice is to stop drinking now...leaving it until work gets better is a variation on 'quitting tomorrow'...I pretty much spent 20 years that way.
Oh, Dee, I know HALT is not a list of reasons to drink. And I don't feel like anyone is having a go at me. You all are simply telling me the truth. I didn't mean to come off rude, if that's what it seems like.

To be honest, I never thought the 'tired' part of HALT would ever apply to me. It did. So, of course, I'll be more aware/cautious in future.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Maybe just let your boss know how bad your feeling because your missing dead lines and can he/she help you prioritize your workload. Then is it also possible to ask that people goto your boss for the next while with new assignments for him/her to vet?
Old 08-09-2017, 03:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

No problem Lava - just trying to help
I believe you can do this.
D
Old 08-09-2017, 03:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
Maybe just let your boss know how bad your feeling because your missing dead lines and can he/she help you prioritize your workload. Then is it also possible to ask that people goto your boss for the next while with new assignments for him/her to vet?
Yes. I think this is a good idea. I just need to be honest with my boss and see how she can help me. Or at least have her understand that I want to do better. Thanks, STDragon.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

No problem Lava - just trying to help
I believe you can do this.
D
Thanks, Dee. You're the best.

And I really, truly, love you all. If it wasn't for SR, I think I'd be worse off mentally. Thank you all.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
2/2016

The Corporate World to me seems to be pushing people to do more with less. Co-workers are eager to throw each other under the bus. This seems to be my new reality at least. I will say I feel like I have an unfair advantage now , now that I do not drink. Clear mind, rested, positive, the list goes on.
I think now would be a good time to really think about what you want. maybe time to research other jobs? Main thing- stop drinking, I cannot tell you how wonderful I feel
Old 08-09-2017, 04:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I also don't want this to come off as piling on you; just offering my experience.

There's never going to be time to reorganize your life while you're drinking. For so long, I thought drinking was my life-line and way to get through the day, but the truth was it was the thing holding me back, and adding to my anxiety and stress. It's hard to get out of that 3 day or a week cycle, but things really do infinitely clear up after a few weeks.

My therapist said, when I was "trying" to quit drinking and kept coming up with excuses, "If you have time to drink, you have time to make another choice and put self-care first." This really resonated with me, and although I didn't really believe it would work, it's amazing how much better I feel by choosing to do other healthy coping mechanisms instead. Your body will crave what you put into it.

I know if I had a month off while I was still drinking, that it would have been easy for me to rationalize taking some time to "rest and relax" by drinking a ton and shutting out the world. Then all of a sudden I'd be back at work again and the cycle continues.

I really encourage you to quit drinking before that time so you can make the most of it. Try reading the book "This Naked Mind" to shift your perceptions about how alcohol is benefiting you.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HTown View Post
The Corporate World to me seems to be pushing people to do more with less. Co-workers are eager to throw each other under the bus. This seems to be my new reality at least. I will say I feel like I have an unfair advantage now , now that I do not drink. Clear mind, rested, positive, the list goes on.
I think now would be a good time to really think about what you want. maybe time to research other jobs? Main thing- stop drinking, I cannot tell you how wonderful I feel
Thanks, HTown.

I actually was so stressed and frustrated that I began questioning why I'm at this particular job at all. Do I even like it that much? However, I know it's not a good idea to make big decisions when you're not in the right state of mind because, quite possibly, you might be wrong. So I cooled down and reminded myself that I should feel lucky.... It's not too bad.

I want to stop drinking and I know I will. The reason I cited 'getting re-organized' earlier was because, in my current state of disorganization, I don't get time here on SR as much as I should to ensure I stay sober. So I keep falling off the bus. I stopped AA some months ago but I'm seriously thinking of going back. It had helped a bit. I need to have time to dedicate to staying sober because just quitting on a whim with no back up support is why I relapsed so quickly last week.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrandNewLife View Post
I also don't want this to come off as piling on you; just offering my experience.

There's never going to be time to reorganize your life while you're drinking. For so long, I thought drinking was my life-line and way to get through the day, but the truth was it was the thing holding me back, and adding to my anxiety and stress. It's hard to get out of that 3 day or a week cycle, but things really do infinitely clear up after a few weeks.

My therapist said, when I was "trying" to quit drinking and kept coming up with excuses, "If you have time to drink, you have time to make another choice and put self-care first." This really resonated with me, and although I didn't really believe it would work, it's amazing how much better I feel by choosing to do other healthy coping mechanisms instead. Your body will crave what you put into it.

I know if I had a month off while I was still drinking, that it would have been easy for me to rationalize taking some time to "rest and relax" by drinking a ton and shutting out the world. Then all of a sudden I'd be back at work again and the cycle continues.

I really encourage you to quit drinking before that time so you can make the most of it. Try reading the book "This Naked Mind" to shift your perceptions about how alcohol is benefiting you.
Thank you, BNL.

I too recognize the risk of drinking during my month long leave. It's likely to be a disappointing experience at the very least. I want, instead, to have that time to do a lot of self reflection, reading, writing and really concretizing my sobriety plan.

And I agree, if I have time to drink, then I should also have time to do other, more important things, like sleep, read, work, for heaven's sake, have a normal conversation with my husband, watch a good TV show, the list is endless.... Oh, and come here on SR.

I know I've been making excuses... It's just that my frame of mind right now is just wrong. I will check out the book.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going Lava

D
Old 08-09-2017, 07:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hows it going Lava

D
Well, it's 5:30am and just finished my work assignment.... Or almost there. I need to work more at it but I'm in a better place than I was yesterday.

Of course I'm super exhausted. Still pretty pissed off by this whole work debacle but I hope I'll get over it quickly. I'm exhausted. I'll jump in bed now for an hour before getting up to go to the office.

I'm also thinking that it might be a good idea to join the August class, after all. I know I said before that I didn't want to join yet another class but those classes do keep one going so I think I'll do that.

Catch you guys later!
Old 08-09-2017, 10:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Empathy to you. Just think on this- no time to go to SR, but time enough to drink?
Post here- go to a meeting. The deadlines at work? They always seemed to be the most important- life changing things- but sobriety should have been my priority. Booze makes everything worse. Support to you.