Notices

Back to AA: What I learned about hangovers

Old 08-08-2017, 02:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back to AA: What I learned about hangovers

I’m eight days sober since a relapse.

During the period of self-searching and remorse which followed that experience, I decided to do two things.

• Firstly, to go back to AA.

• Secondly, to use SR as a means of support and perhaps a sounding board to deal with some of things about AA which I find frustrating.

I’ve decided not to say anything negative about AA at this early stage, on the basis that if I create a negative impression of it in my mind it will be a barrier to me seeing its positive aspects. Much better to try to engage with the group and reap the benefits.

So I plan to go to regular meetings and make a mental note of one helpful thing I hear at each meeting. I will then share those helpful things with the SR community.

So, at last night’s meeting, a woman said something striking. She said if she woke up now with the symptoms of a hangover she had when she was drinking, she would consider admitting herself to hospital. She experienced such an intense physical hangover, including nausea and dehydration, that she would have classed it as a medical emergency if it had started suddenly and without explanation.

The woman said that this was a condition she suffered from almost every day when she was drinking but it has now stopped because she has been sober for more than ten years, which she put down to the AA programme.

On consideration, I think I could have said the same thing after my last binge. The hangover, combined with my self-pitying mental state, kept me from doing anything productive for several days.

I am not in that state now. I’m sober, focussed on recovery and grateful for another day. I’m also grateful to that woman for sharing her experience at the AA meeting. And I’m grateful to this forum for providing me with an outlet to share her insights.

So, my plan from now on is to post regularly with one helpful thing which I learn from each of the AA meetings I attend. I think if I can make this an almost daily habit, it will add another dimension to my recovery.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Brilliant well done
Old 08-08-2017, 03:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back learninganew

D
Old 08-08-2017, 04:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudgin

The steps we take not the meetings we make I find helpful. The insidious insanity of what we accepted as normal is horrendous. You're friend makes a valid point.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Learninganew - Welcome back and congrats on 8 days!
Old 08-08-2017, 08:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome back and congrats on 8 days!
Continual learning to build up a strong recovery is great. We can never have too many tools in our tool box while we figure out what works best for us.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What a thought! So true.
Looks like I'm going to noon meeting!!
Jules
Old 08-08-2017, 11:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Absolutely true. Isn't it terrifying what we class as normal? For years, my normal was hungover and I thought people who didn't drink as much as I did were strange, like how could they not?

Well done on 8 days x
Old 08-08-2017, 11:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This is a great post. Same reason why I decided to go back to AA.

Thank you.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

well done for going to aa i went a few times and stopped because i felt out of place but it was helpful when i did go, your post has made me think i should go again so thanks for that. i hope you get something out of it and you stay sober. nice owl by the way
Old 08-08-2017, 02:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing Learninganew 💜 when I think back to the last hangover I endured on the 28th May (nearly 73 days ago now ☺) I can totally see this lady's point!!!! I was so ill physically and emotionally...thank goodness I never have to experience that again...from alcohol at least!
Old 08-08-2017, 03:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Learning to Live

Thank you for sharing. I remember being so mad because I'd wake up feeling like utter crap everyday. I'd blame everything EXCEPT the alcohol, how ridiculous is that??

Congrats on 8 days, that's great!
Old 08-08-2017, 03:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

my mother used to get terrible ill - from the bad ICE. or the server had a cold. or the glassware wasn't washed properly. pretty much everything about the drink except the liquid contents................