Notices

New Here!

Old 08-07-2017, 09:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Here!

Hey everyone!

I'm new here and not sure what to expect so I'm going to lay it all out. I'm a married, successful, 36-year-old high-functioning alcoholic with two adopted boys, 8 and 3, who has had a tumultuous relationship with alcohol since I was about 14-years-old. My relationship with alcohol really took a turn for the worse when my best friends committed suicide back in high school at the ages of 15 and 16. I was bad for a few years, but abstained from the time I married at 20-years-old until about the time I was about 30 but lately have fallen back into bad habits and I can't seem to overcome the cravings and move beyond the regret. My wife says I should get over it and think about my family but it's obviously not that easy or I wouldn't be here... I struggle with self-blame. I don't know what to expect but I know I need to make a change, which is why I'm here. Hope this helps!
Old 08-07-2017, 10:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome =)
Old 08-07-2017, 11:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR
You are in a safe, supportive place here. I am so sorry to hear of all the pain you've gone through. Things can get better!
Old 08-07-2017, 11:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome.
There's a lot of us in the same boat as you.
A lot of us managed to hide it from the outside world, but were still causing chaos at home.
It isn't easy, but it is doable.
Stay with us, post when you need to, there's always someone here.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome jligllc

SR really helped me turn my life around.

There was something about being with people who understood my problem that made me feel accountable to them, even when I didn't always feel accountable to my real life friends and family.

I was totally honest here and the folks here still had confidence in me - pretty soon I gained confidence in myself and my own ability to stay sober..

Over time that accountability and that self growth extended to my real life and my friends and family in a way it hadn't for a very long time.

I rediscovered a me I'd forgotten about and a courage I'd forgotten I had.

To me it's not too much to say I fully embraced my adulthood after coming here

Glad to have you join us.

D
Old 08-08-2017, 12:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome. I'm glad you found us. This is such a supportive forum.

Those feelings of shame and self-loathing can act like chains. Holding us where we are. Your wife is right of course - the way to mve past these feelings is to move forward. But that is easier said than done for those with an alcoholic mindset.

For me personally the answer to working through all those feelings and memories was a 12-step program worked with a sponsor through AA. It has been an amazing journey, and the freedom it has brought me is beyond anything I would have hoped for or dreamed possible. I used to think that AA was just for 'low bottom' drunks - I couldnt have been more wrong. In my meetings are plenty of professionals. Surgeons, teachers, academics, solicitors counsellors, as well as scaffolders, gardeners, grandparents, stay-at-home mums, jockeys and even a blacksmith (yes, we still have those!!) Alcoholism does not discriminate.

Others will no doubt share how they worked on this area.

Anyway. Again, welcome to the forum. I hope you find the strength to making your last drink you LAST drink, and join us on the road of recovery and sobriety.

BB
Old 08-08-2017, 12:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome. There's loads of support here. Join the August class I only joined yesterday x
Old 08-08-2017, 05:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Welcome!

You will find tons of support here... So many great and interesting people to interact with.

In the beginning..... Rack up some sober time.

It is amazing how "everything" becomes "easier" sober.

Addiction is a process.... It takes time to reverse it. Become sober first .... Then you can work on the "past". But be clean first. (Work on one thing at a time).

Perhaps you can find help via your Doctor, AA and reading here on SR.
Start putting a Sober plan together.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome!

Originally Posted by jligllc View Post
I'm a married, successful, 36-year-old high-functioning alcoholic
Hey, so was I!

Later I became a 48-year-old drunkard whose wife had to tell him to clean up his act or find a new place to live.

I hope you're smarter than me.

Best of Luck on Your Journey.